Loading new smart, and "unloading" our old one

Jim Gell

We ordered 2017 Nov 22 and picked it up at Mercedes Benz of Tampa on Dec 23. They knew exactly when it would be built, shipped, and gave us delivery date prior to ordering.

2009 Volvo 780 with Herrin Hauler Bed
2015 Continental Coach
2017 Smart Car Prime

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got this in today from Three Point Motors in Victoria.
Hi Roger,
The smart gas is being discontinued but the electric will still continue.

This just came out last week.
Best,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM, R Dickinson <rdickinson@shaw.ca> wrote:
HI,
I’m hearing Smarts won’t be importing any more to North America after the 2017 season.
Is there anything to this?
Roger

Disappointing, the Dealer spent a bunch on a new facility specifically for Smarts plus a number of mechanics. I wonder how long parts are going to be available.

5.5" clearance from lowest part of the air dam to the ground on mine.

I haven't the courage to break the news to the new car yet...I'll wait 'till mourning.

Maybe we should take a chapter from the Cubans and their ability to keep their '53 Chivy's running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken, that car must have come from someones inventory. Factory orders take longer than a month. Freight takes that or longer unless someone stuck a Fed Ex sticker on its butt and shipped by Air.

I do as Jack does ,I would add I have noticed that if the ramps are on uneven ground ,(one a tiny bit higher then the other) at the base, the car goes up and ends up sitting at a bit of a angle.

I have a winch but never use it anymore , once you get used to it driving up and backing down it is quick and gets more applause then winching. <_<

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Thanks for sharing those photos, David. So are the two bolts showing the only bolts holding them in place?

Where is the best place to purchase those strap ratchet thingies?

Cathy and I traded our 2011 Passion in for a 2016 Passion today. We took a beating on our trade in to avoid the hassle of trying to sell it myself. We went to the dealer planning to order a 2017 Prime. They said it was the last car they could order. What kept us from going through with the order was that they could not, or would not commit, to the incentives. They said we would get what ever incentives were in place at the time we talke delivery. By taking a new 2016 car off the lot, we got a $3,750 fleet discount from Smart because it was sold to our MT LLC. We negotiated an additional dealer discount bringing it down more and left happy with this car, rather than waiting until late April or early May for a 2017 that we could spec exactly the way we wanted it. I would have liked leather seats that came in the Prime, but we think we saved enough to be happy with cloth seats.

Just as Jack and other's have said, the new smarts are much improved.

Now I just have to figure out how to load and tie it down securely on our somewhat unique bed.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Yes, just two bolts on each chock but they are 1/2 or 5/8 grade 8 bolts. Way more than you need for this job. Larry Herrin has the strap buckets that go over the tire made local to him but should be able to get you the info or sell you a set.

The ratchet spool can be bought online and welded into a chock or Larry might sell you a set ready made. If I ever need to, I can get a set made with the ratchet offset to one side and buy 2 right hand and 2 left hand chocks. That way I can offset them to the inside or the outside by changing locations.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Jim,

US Cargo Control is s good source. LINK I buy the bolt on lashing winches. But you can weld if you like.

The nets are custom made, as David said. But your current nets should work fine.

Two bolts per chock are fine. But four is better, and overkill, for sure. I had two on my previous truck. Four on the new one. In your case I'd do two. Just make sure you have plenty of "meat" under them for the threads.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you have access to the underside of the bed, another option would be to drill 1/16" oversize holes in the deck, bolt the chocks down with a nut on the bottom side of the deck and weld the nuts after they are tightened down to the bottom of the deck. That way you know it will bolt back up correctly and you will have plenty of material to fully engage the threads on the bolt.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Jim,

My lash winches are also bolted on with grade 8 bolts. Plenty strong so I didn't weld. I got mine from US Cargo control also. Note they have right and left and I got the ones like the first two pictured in Jack's link. Also as I said before, don't worry about welding on a plate under the bed to stiffen your deck. Just buy a piece of plate 1/4" or 5/16" drill holes that will match the holes you are going to mount the chock with, put the bolts through and tighten with the piece of plate under the bed. That will double your bed thickness at that site and hold plenty well. I cut my piece of plate 4"x4". BTW you can cut that plate with a jigsaw and Bosch metal blade from Home Depot if you can't get it cut or don't have access to a chop saw. I wish you were closer. Would love to help you with this project.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you have access to the underside of the bed, another option would be to drill 1/16" oversize holes in the deck, bolt the chocks down with a nut on the bottom side of the deck and weld the nuts after they are tightened down to the bottom of the deck. That way you know it will bolt back up correctly and you will have plenty of material to fully engage the threads on the bolt.

Dang David, beat me as I was posting.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Shannon, I didn't realize my PM mail box was full. I deleted over half the 100 message threads. You should be able to PM now. Thanks.

Thank you EVERYONE for your assistance. I think I have all the information I need to proceed with the chocks and tie down system. I should be able to reuse my wheel baskets.

I will get my ramps modified so that they have a plate that lays on top of the deck like most of you have. I plan to very meticulously locate all the bolt holes so I can attach the ramps to the same holes as the chocks in either side. After car us up, I will secure the opposite tie downs and then replace the ramps with the chocks.

David has me pondering if I should make all 4 chocks interchangeable to fit the 2016 smart, or make them so they fit the new smart in one set of locations and the older smarts in another set if locations. After driving the new smart, I doubt I would want to replace this 2016 with 2015 or older when we wear it out. Also, the ramp position would change, which would mean the concept of using the same threaded holes for ramps as chocks would not work. Currently I am leaning toward making all chocks interchangeable and use the threaded holes for both ramps and chocks.

I am thinking bolting the lashing winches to the chocks will make replacing them easier if they fail for any reason.

Our ramps store in a tunnel between my rear corner storage areas. I covered over the end in one side to separate the inside end of ramps from that storage area, but I could remove that so that I could drag ramps out either side of the truck. Good idea, Jack!

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Jim,

I have the wide ramps that use the same bolt holes as the chocks and can be placed on either side of the truck. The chocks are wide enough to accept a car within an acceptable margin but it would be very easy to make another set with the ratchet assembly offset to one side (2 to the right and 2 to the left) that could be used to center the ratchet on the tire if the track gets wider or narrower on the car. The wide ramp width gives me a LOT of latitude in the car width

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Archived