In RV park for awhile -- keep water in Fresh Water tank?

TxCowboy

We're at a RV park for awhile with full hook-ups. Should we keep the fresh water tank full (or partially filled)? Is there a hazard with keeping the fresh water tank completely empty when not needed?

Thanks!

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

My DW is a big help when towing. She drives her car and helps me change lanes when traffic hectic. She is no help at all at camp parking though. She has never backed a trailer and she is lost.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I would keep some water in the tank...at least a day's worth. We've been in RV parks where, for whatever reason, we had some period of time without water...once for more than a day.

Depending on how long you're going to be in the RV park, you might think about using the water from the tank for a time and then refill it just to keep the water fresh.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

My DW is a big help when towing. She drives her car and helps me change lanes when traffic hectic. She is no help at all at camp parking though. She has never backed a trailer and she is lost.

Glenn, wrong thread? :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

If it's good water then I fill the tank don't use it unless there is a park issue but it does provide some stability to some trailers. I don't carry a lot of water unless I am going to a place that has questionable supply.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We almost always have close to half a tank fresh water. We too have many times had shore water shut off w/o warning for several hours or a day. We use the tank water while driving, and often when we stop for just an overnight we will not hook up water and sewer, hooking up only when we need to replenish water/dump tanks, or when in place for several nights or more.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We kind of learned that one the hard way. We were once in an RV park that had a waterline fail and our tank had no water in it. Since then I always keep at least a 1 day supply of water in the tank. If you use a charcoal filter for water into the RV as I do, it is good to put a small amount of chlorine bleach (I use 1/4 cup) into your fresh water hose below the filer when you go to put this stored water into the tank so that it will be chlorinated for longer storage. I also drain and replace that water on a monthly basis just to make sure that it is fresh if needed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We always have some water in the fresh water tank traveling or in a park. Every once in a while the water will get shut off in the RV park in Yuma, and this immediately brings the park model people out to the RVers asking for a little coffee water etc.

We are currently located where the temperature drops below freezing at night and if we remain hooked up our hose will freeze. My routine is to disconnect the hose, blow the water out of it and turn on and set the light bulb in the small hose bay. Forgot to do this a few days ago and our filter, hose and outside H/C connection froze up. So yep keep some water in your tank just in case.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We almost always have close to half a tank fresh water. We too have many times had shore water shut off w/o warning for several hours or a day. We use the tank water while driving, and often when we stop for just an overnight we will not hook up water and sewer, hooking up only when we need to replenish water/dump tanks, or when in place for several nights or more.

X2 We always keep at least a half tank when parked or traveling. During the winter when we are stationary for 4 or 5 months I shut off the park water occasionally and run through the fresh tank and then refill. Don't do anything else to keep it fresh.

As other have said, occasionally the park water is off due to a broken line or something and it is nice to have the water there. In the spring we often stop in Denver where temps drop below freezing at night so we just run on the fresh tank when we are there.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We kept about 1/3 tank when we were towing with our pickup, enough for a couple days boondocking or a park water issue, with the MDT towing we kept it full since weight wasn't an issue then. You never know when you are going to need water, anything from gotta stop to tinkle to putting out a roadside fire that some smoker started by tossing a butt.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If in warm climes keep a portion in the tank and use and replenish every so often to keep fresh. Rarely hooked up but still if we are always keep some in case of CG shutoff, as we've experienced once. If in freezing temperature risks (when travelling in the winter from North to warmer southern climes) keep tanks empty and always some antifreeze in the black and grey plus keep couple big water canisters on board for personal use till safe to fill fresh.

We're at a RV park for awhile with full hook-ups. Should we keep the fresh water tank full (or partially filled)? Is there a hazard with keeping the fresh water tank completely empty when not needed?

Thanks!

Glenn, not sure what this has to do with if they should keep water in there holding tank? Maybe you posted it in the wrong thread?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Like many others, we too travel with about 1/2 full water tanks. We cycle thru at least once a month to keep it fresher. Once a year, we cleanse the full water system with the bleach technique. We have a good filter that both our tank and shore water flows thru, with a 'finisher' filter on top of this, feeding the ice maker. (Jury is still out on this. We may just turn the water off, and continue making ice cubes in tray as we have the last 10 years. Going to give the Samsung Ice maker a few months to see how we like the quality of the ice.)

We currently drink bottled water, but will probably end up putting in an under the counter quality filter for a counter top drinking water faucet.

We pay close attention to water levels, for the reasons mentioned... We new cloth water hose, old white Camco was a goner, that I found at a Lowes along the way. Cranks up flat and stores neat. But, prone to kinking and that can reduce water flow. And, not as robust in cold weather. It froze in Sante Fe, where I feel the Camco white vinyl hose would not have... So, we'll see how long we use this one:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We do it a little differently. We keep the dump valves closed and the water tank full and remain self-contained (except for power). When the tanks need to be dumped we do that and fill the water tank at the same time. We almost always know where our tanks are in terms of full or empty all the time. Never a big surprise on water or tank.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We keep maybe 1/2 tank or so all the time .Never can tell when the water may shut down for awhile.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I subscribe to the thought of having at least a days worth of water in the tank. We drink the water in that tank. Bottled water for the most part is just tap water...dont kid yourselves.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I stayed in a COE park west of Santa Fe, NM, last fall. Had a gorgeous water and electric pull-through site with a view of the lake. I was awoken early one morning as the crew arrived with a back-hoe and to notify me that they were shutting the water off immediately as there was a leak. And, by the way, the leak was right next to my campsite, so it would probably be a good idea if I moved to another site, which I did! I had been having water pump problems so I barely had time to fill two big jugs for toilet flushing and drinking. (I keep two empty gallon jugs for the same reasons.)

I always try to keep at least half a tank of fresh water for just such emergencies. If it sits in the tank for a long time in hot weather, I will add some bleach and then try to use it up, assuming my water pump is working.

Archived