WalMart, Livingston, TX

AlCherry

They closed our walmart with the same BS story....It is a fairly new store and some insider information says it has nothing to do with plumbing. The county building inspector and code inspector dispute the story also no plumbing companies have been called to repair or inspect. The supposition is that it has to do with unionization efforts to unionize workers. What ever the truth is the public will never know what it is....Walmart put a neighborhood market in close to this store but the prices are higher than a regular walmart superstore and the same as the local food stores......So all in all it will be interesting to finally hear the truth.....it won't be because of a lack of customers because the parking lot was always packed.....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe we still live in an open and free society. As a consumer you vote for a business by shopping or not shopping with that store or service. Why would you want to force a store to stay open? We just need to move on if you are not happy. We happen to like them because we can usually find what we need in any store across the country.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I believe we still live in an open and free society. As a consumer you vote for a business by shopping or not shopping with that store or service. Why would you want to force a store to stay open? We just need to move on if you are not happy. We happen to like them because we can usually find what we need in any store across the country.

Safe Travels!

We do not have an open and free society.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

They closed our walmart with the same BS story....

Just wondering which one is yours?

stores are in Brandon, Florida; Pico Rivera, California; Midland, Texas; Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Livingston, Texas.

We do not have an open and free society.

We don't? Did I miss something as the last I knew we still elect our leaders..... Wal-mart is a privately held company and is not required to share with the public their reasons for their activities. It is interesting to watch but if they don't reopen their stores, someone else will open one and take over that market share in their place. Interesting to watch and fun to speculate about, but we may never know what motivates them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...People like rangers in the national parks are mostly seasonal employees who work short contracts and receive no benefits or retirement credit. You almost have to do that to ever get on as a permanent employee and some never get there. Many of the NPS law enforcement seasonal rangers have actually paid to attend an LE course in order to get those seasonal jobs...

Having actually worked as a seasonal for the NPS, I do not believe this statement is completely accurate. Seasonals do not receive the same benefits as permanent employees. However, they are compensated at the same pay levels (GS scale) as permenant employees at the same grade level. The government pays its share of Social Security taxes. They are covered by workman's compensation and protected from law suits the same as permanent employees. They earn sick leave and vacation time (annual leave) based on the hours they work and their years of work for the government. If they become permanent employees, they have options for getting retirement credit for the time they worked as seasonals. If they work long enough in a year, they can receive unemployment compensation. As for having to pay for the Law Enforcement training, this is true for other Department of Interior agencies like the Fish and Wildlife Service. In order to qualify for a position as a GS-5 Park Ranger (entry level for LE rangers) four years of college is generally required (somebody, often the individual has to pay for that). The Seasonal Law Enforcement training programs accepted by the Department of Interior are offered by Community Colleges, Colleges and Universities and are for credit courses that count towards degree programs.

The use of seasonals is not just a matter of funding. It is the fiscally responsible thing to do. When I worked in Yellowstone, there were 12 fulltime law enforcement district rangers. During the summer, they hired about 200 seasonal rangers. Given the seasonal nature of the park, there was absolutely no need to have 200 fulltime rangers during the winter and to do so would be a disservice to the tax payers. Many state parks in Northern States also hire seasonal workers. Should Amazon or any other retailer/business not hire seasonal workers. Seasonal/part-time workers rarely receive the same benefits as permanent/fulltime workers in either the private or public sector.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I have been coming here and reading off and on for a while but just joined up, this is my first post. It is nice to see that you can have a post like this this without it one side of the opinions being deleted! I know, my first post and it's off subject :D.
Jim

I have been coming here and reading off and on for a while but just joined up, this is my first post.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We do try to keep things civil and friendly and most of the time we do pretty good. Even families occasionally have some heated disagreements and we do also, but we mostly remain friends even when we disagree. Political discussions are strictly forbidden here so you wont seen them here, or at least if you do it will disappear once admin knows of it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually there are rules of the road so to speak involving use of the forums but on just a cursory look I did not find them and I thought they used to be prominent.

OK I found it. At the beginning of each section like Beginning RVing, General info. etc. Good to read them if you are new.

Thanks for the welcome :) . I believe in rules by all means....I also believe in being fair and unbiased in enforcing them. :D And to keep this on subject, they are closing down a Wal Mart in Tulsa, about 35 miles or so away, but they had so much shoplifting and other problems there they were probably looking for any excuse to shut it down, even if only temporarily.
Jim

The attraction industry Disney Universal, ect are right in there with part time and season employees lowpay.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived