Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

The company I currently work for Southern Cross(SCC)and have for the last 5yrs, is hiring full or partime men or women. You can also hire on as a team. I'm currently in Austin, Tx for the next 2 months and then will move on to Mineral Wells and Weatherford, Tx and will be there until last of August. Then I'll quit for the season and travel.

The reason I like SCC is that I only work the months that I need. They only request,That I let them know in advance of assignments of how long I would like to work. I have worked for them 4 to six months each season.

The pay is hourly and I get 220 aweek for Travel. Plus payment for the use of my car. Since I live in Texas, I only pay taxes on my hourly pay. I work only 40 hours a week, but can and have worked overtime. All jobs are 40 hr week, unless customer request a longer work day, but you know this up front, and can decline the job.Example The last 2 months I worked for Texas Gas in Graham and Breckenridge, Tx. Since the company request and I agreed, I work 45 hrs a week in order to get the job done before a State inspection was done. The job here in Austin I'll work only 40 hrs a week. The next job and last for the season, I'll work 50 hrs a week (this one is of my on chosing).

Training is provide in the form of On-the-Job, on location or at their HQs in Norcoss, Ga. Training will last for abou 4-5 wks and you are being paid.

They have health ins. If you want and a 401 plan. I get vacation time, even if I work only partime.

They have job all over the country, they call you and ask if you want to go to say Montana of Ohio, Texas and so on. I have worked in Oh,Ky,Ok,Al,Ms,Ga and chose to stay in Texas this year.

On thing is that SCC does not get upset if you decline a job, in other words you do not go to the bottom of some list.They are every easy company to work for, I find that most people that have problems with them, are not commicating their needs or plans

Having spent 37 yrs working for the Army and Federal service, this job is just right for my live style. The money I make in the spring/summer allows me and my wife to live and do things the rest of the year, without worrying that we are spending to much and I use it to buy my toys.

I you have any question just email me. If looking for a job (and They are hiring Now) just a SCC a 800-344-5066. Tell whoever answers that you are looking for work and they will get you to the right person. Tell Bob Arnold sent you. ( I get money)

Bob Arnold

Mission, Tx

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company I currently work for Southern Cross(SCC)and have for the last 5yrs, is hiring full or partime men or women. You can also hire on as a team. I'm currently in Austin, Tx for the next 2 months and then will move on to Mineral Wells and Weatherford, Tx and will be there until last of August. Then I'll quit for the season and travel.

The reason I like SCC is that I only work the months that I need. They only request,That I let them know in advance of assignments of how long I would like to work. I have worked for them 4 to six months each season.

The pay is hourly and I get 220 aweek for Travel. Plus payment for the use of my car. Since I live in Texas, I only pay taxes on my hourly pay. I work only 40 hours a week, but can and have worked overtime. All jobs are 40 hr week, unless customer request a longer work day, but you know this up front, and can decline the job.Example The last 2 months I worked for Texas Gas in Graham and Breckenridge, Tx. Since the company request and I agreed, I work 45 hrs a week in order to get the job done before a State inspection was done. The job here in Austin I'll work only 40 hrs a week. The next job and last for the season, I'll work 50 hrs a week (this one is of my on chosing).

Training is provide in the form of On-the-Job, on location or at their HQs in Norcoss, Ga. Training will last for abou 4-5 wks and you are being paid.

They have health ins. If you want and a 401 plan. I get vacation time, even if I work only partime.

They have job all over the country, they call you and ask if you want to go to say Montana of Ohio, Texas and so on. I have worked in Oh,Ky,Ok,Al,Ms,Ga and chose to stay in Texas this year.

On thing is that SCC does not get upset if you decline a job, in other words you do not go to the bottom of some list.They are every easy company to work for, I find that most people that have problems with them, are not commicating their needs or plans

Having spent 37 yrs working for the Army and Federal service, this job is just right for my live style. The money I make in the spring/summer allows me and my wife to live and do things the rest of the year, without worrying that we are spending to much and I use it to buy my toys.

I you have any question just email me. If looking for a job (and They are hiring Now) just a SCC a 800-344-5066. Tell whoever answers that you are looking for work and they will get you to the right person. Tell Bob Arnold sent you. ( I get money)

Bob Arnold

Mission, Tx

Bob,

Can you tell us a little more about the nature of the work? What is "a day in the life of" like?

Lifting anything heavy? Climbing to any heights or going underground? Is a truck required?

Thanks, Cilla

2001.5 Discovery 37U, DP "Igor"

2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo "Miss Molly"

Class of 2007 (Delayed!)

Life Member SKP#85389

I did this kind of work for Heath Consultants, a company similar to Southern Cross. It is interesting work and I was able to move up to some decent pay. I left because of differences with the company and need to be near family. The only thing I didn't like was dealing with the dogs, but we weren't forced to enter a yard if we had any apprehensions. Sometimes you get fooled, though.

2000 New Horizons 5th wheel

Western Wilderness Truck Camper

My Blog

The normal day is walking the line in resdental or business. I cover 2-3 miles a day. I use a Honda Crv, but could use smaller car or truck. As far as dogs go, Our company has apolicy of Safety First. I also chose not to go into an area that I feel is not safe, such as area I know are high crime areas in big citys.

The last job I did for an example I walked 66 miles, with 2755 meters or services and it took me a tolal of 211 hrs. The work is not hard. I have to punch some holes when I find an underground Leak. If I can't because of surface, I call the local gas company and they drill it for me.

I work with SCC personal that are anywhere between 29 and 75 years of age.

Bob

This comes off Southern Cross web sit

Current opportunities are available for individual technicians and technician teams.

Individual Technicians are typically assigned to jobs lasting 3 to 5 months. From March through October assignments may be anywhere in the US while in winter assignments are located in the southeast.

Technician Teams are presently assigned to work locations in Texas that consist of a technician and a helper. The technician walks and inspects cross-country gas transmission lines while the helper moves the vehicle.

Southern Cross offers full-time and seasonal employment, hourly wages, travel allowance, mileage rate and fringe benefits. If interested please download the application below.

LEAK SURVEY TECHNICIAN- APPLICATION

Job Title: Survey Technician

Department: Operations/Survey

Work Schedule: Mon-Fri (Sat)

Work Location: Assigned Throughout USA

Salary-Exempt/Hourly: Hourly-Subject to Overtime

Reports To: Survey Dispatcher

Subordinate Positions: None

Primary Duties and Responsibilities:

Travel to location of a Gas Company under contract. Report to the Gas Company as a representative of Southern Cross Corp. Walk (or drive as per contract) gas lines checking for leaks. Detect, locate, and evaluate leaks using prescribed procedures. Report leaks to Gas Company under contract. Complete required paperwork and sketches. Read Gas Company maps. Perform light manual labor. Follow all safety guidelines. Assist in training survey technician trainees and others. Reasonable special tasks as assigned by survey dispatcher. Survey Technician is responsible for the proper operation, field maintenance, and security of all assigned equipment. Survey Technician is responsible for the conduct of the survey according to the Survey Work Order and Southern Cross Corp. standard procedures. Any deviation must first be cleared through the Survey Dispatcher. Job entails extensive walking, normally outdoors, over varying terrain,and in varying weather conditions.

Education/Special Skills: High School Diploma or equivalent; valid Driver's License; dependable vehicle for transportation to contract location and available for use as "On The Job Transportation". Must have legible neat handwriting and be able to do simple location sketches.

Equipment/Machinery/Vehicle Used: Flame Pack, Fuel Cylinder (45 lbs.),Mobile Survey Truck, Combustible Gas Indicator, Probe Bar, Pipe Locator, and others as assigned.

Amount of Customer and/or Public Contact: Constant contact with customer and public.

Interrelationship and/or Supervisory Skills Needed: Must be able to make decisions concerning the safety of a leakage situation and report these to the Gas Company. Must enter yards searching for leaks and be able to respond to questions from the public without causing undue anxiety. Must be able to coordinate survey with Gas Company driver/helpers.

Application: All Applications must be filled out in the applicant's own handwriting. Please click here to download the application.

If you are interested please contact Cullen Broome at (770)441-0403 or email him at cbroome@southerncrosscorp.com.

www.southerncrosscorp.com

Bob

Believe it or not, we had, possibly, a majority of smokers in the crews I worked with. One guy even walked the lines with one hanging out of his mouth, all the time. icon_eek.gif It IS difficult to carry the flame pack and your oxygen tank, too, however. icon_wink.gif

Any takers, yet, Bob? Your name is familiar to me...did you ever work for Heath? I have to tell you that I do, sometimes, miss the work.

2000 New Horizons 5th wheel

Western Wilderness Truck Camper

My Blog

No bites yet and No to working for Heath. I think Heath likes fulltimers vs partimers. From time to time I up date this topic, when the company needs workers.

I get a few replys, but most thinks they should earn the same amount, as before they retired.

This job allows you to travel and suplement your retire, as you know. Plus its not hurt work.

Bob

Bob

You said you get 220 per week for travel allowance. Is that paid for the entire length of the assignment or simply to get to your new assignment. Also what mileage rate do they pay for use of your auto.

Thanks Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Jim

The 220 is paid per week on each assignment. Travel to first assignment is 64 cents per mile. Once on location, no mileage but 2.30 and hr for use of vehicle. The only time the don't pay is when I go home at the end of by season. They also pay any tolls you come across.

I usally leave one assignment on on a Friday and Start on a Monday.

The 220 is really 44 dollars a day, Mon-Fri. Aslong as I put in 2 hrs I get the 44, but If I say in bed, I don'T(sick). But if I have Leave I can use it in Loue. I usaally Have a week or eight adays leave at the end of season. I turn in They pay 40 or 48 hrs each day, plus 44 each day.

Also they have 7 Holidays they pay for.

Bob

Bob I might quit my full time job and work this if the numbers are correct:

Travel = 220.00 wk

Car Usage = 92.00 wk

Hrly $8x40 = 320.00 wk

Monthly = $2528 before taxes and excerise too. For a part-time job that ain't bad.

Remember you start a different basic pay I think 7.40 an hrs, and travel is 200 a week.

car is the same for everyone. a few get more, but that is very few. While in training with someone you be in his/hers car so no car pay.

The partime pay is why I work for themand I responsible for only my work. Don't want to be in charge of anyone and the company knows. So If i'm on an assignment with others, someone else is the lead Tech. Which really means they get stuck with the final report and no extra pay. I set how much I want to make this year. so I want to add to my place in Texas, so I'm working 45-48 hrs per week, as long as the local company has a crew on duty.

Bob

Bob,

I am very close to retiring from my current job. Health insurance is the big hang up. What does Southern Cross offer? I deal with a usually very unhappy public every day, so PR and public contact is a piece of cake!

1996 Ford F250 Western Hauler

7.3 Powerstroke

BTS E4OD

Gone to a collector

"Two Story T-bird"

1988 Ford CL9000

Cummins NTC 400

15 speed Roadranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/enchalay

Bob,

Thanks for the info on this job. I have a question:

Are you pretty much on your feet all day, or are you walking and doing other stuff also? I'm interested in the job, but have difficulty being on my feet all day due to back problems. Thanks.

Tom

Tom

Most of the day is spent walking, but when I get tried or hot I take a break. You must be able to cover a least two miles a day. Some of the areas are flat, but you can work in a lot of areas that have hills or rough ground.

Only you can judge if this is a job for you.

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the info. Couple of questions. Do you travel home on weekends, non paid I am sure if the answer is yes, if an assingment last for 3-5 months, do you have to stay on that job till finished, or can you take one closer to home?

Mike & Pat Davis, 2000 Ford F650 hauler, 2005 Cedar Creek 37FLQS, DOT# 1527978, KB8SQN & KB8SQT

No I don't offen travel to home on weekend. Altho right now I'm in Austin and will be going home over the July 4th holiday. When I work I live in my Motorhome and we close our place up in Mission.

The job annoucement will usely state how long the job should last, give or take two weeks. They will want you to stay until the job is completed.

If you want short jobs then tell them up front.

One thing that usely happens with new people is that they thing the job is a lot of travel. When its not they get disapointed.

Last year I started in the middle of March going to Deaton, Tx, then mineral wells, weatherford, tx and then to Albany, Al and finishing in Jackson, Ms in Late October.

This year Breckenridge and Graham, Tx, now in Austin, July back to Mineral Wells and weatherford. Then we'll see what else is open.

Would like to go east to the Carolinia's for short job. That way I can that my coach to the factory for service and visit my dads grave in SC. If no job comes open that interest me, then home until next March.

I have and will continue my needs and plans with the company, and hopefully their job match both our needs. All subject to change with alittle give an take.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Bob,

My husband too is retired military, therefore, we are blessed with medical coverage. I pretty much understand the hourly wage is paid, you are given a stipend for the miles on your POV (truck/small car etc), you use on the job and as you stated, and you are given $220 a week while on the job. Is this $220 a week to assist in the mileage expense to the next job or do you get mileage from job to job? Or is this $220 a week to soften the expense of having to park your rig in an RV park for the length of the job? They advertise for husband and wife teams, how does this work out as far as how do two people do the same job as one? Does the spouse get a wage also? Thanks for your reply.

April

alb7925@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Bob,

I plan to retire in Dec. from pubic education. Southern Cross sounds to be a good company. My teacher retirement i will use to live on and what i make, say with SCC i would use to save and use for vacations and etc.

YOu said you get 220$ per week plus car allowance. What do you make total for one month working 40 hrs per week.

May be interested. Do they call often.

Thanks

Gary Petersen

Bob:

Gave this info about Southern Cross to my retired neighbor. He and his wife were chomping at the bit to go. Sounded like, it was what they wanted.

He called them three times, and they said, will call you back. Never received a call back. Finally he Faxed in his employment application,(I gave him copy of mine) and followed up with a call.

Still no response from Southern Cross? I know that you are just the messenger and no slight intended.

When you talk to the head guy next time, at least let him know they have an interested party. If he doesn't fit the job description at least a call would have been nice to say so. It's been three months now.

If need be, e-mail me and I will give you his number and e-mail address.

Trucken.