Route from Prescott AZ to Cottonwood AZ 5W

charlyhors

Hi, we are leaving Congress AZ tomorrow morning, heading to Cottonwood AZ (S of Sedona). We're driving a 34' 5W and have been told here the route to take to Prescott. From Prescott, we are considering two routes to Cottonwood. The most direct one is staying on Hwy 89 to Cottonwood, but it looks like it might have a lot of terrain. The other possible route was south out of Prescott on 69/169 to I-17 to 260 to Cottonwood. That looks a lot flatter. Anyone ever try either of these routes? Insights or warnings? :-)

There is a length limit on AZ-89A between Prescott and Jerome and between Jerome and Cottonwood. Some say it only applies to commercial vehicles and not RVs. I personnally have seen pickups towing utility trailers stopped and turned around. Driving a large RV through Jerome would be difficult if not impossible depending on how many vehicles were parked on the street near the very sharp turns. You can read a description of the grades here. It is the first entry.

I would definitely take the latter route you mentioned and take the I-17 up to 260.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I would highly recommend the 69/169 to I-17 to 260 to Cottonwood route. Hwy 89 from Prescott to Cottonwood is very twisty, with a long winding grade on the last half. I believe there are prohibitions on length of vehicle, but I can not remember exactly what.

Also, traveling AZ-89 from Congress to Prescott has sections of very twisty winding road, with speed limits of 35 if I recall. As an option, you could leave Congress traveling south to US-60, then travel east towards to Phoenix, and take the AZ-74 shortcut to I-17... and then proceed on North to the Camp Verde (cottonwood) Hwy 260 exit.

We are in the Thousand Trails park in cottonwood... Great weather!

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

You could take 89A if you want to contribute to the entertainment at the Horseshoe. It is a seriously tight 180 and we've watched semi's , buss's, class A.... even a semi with a short box trailer got jammed in. We used to ride up there and stay for few days every year.... Like another poster said, one hell of a motorcycle road..

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Archived