Dramatic Increase to Texas Vehicle Registrations

bigboomer

I am sure many of you have received an e-mail from Escapees regarding the Texas House bill HB 401 which is in committee that will dramatically increase our registration fees in Texas. As an example someone owning an RV weighing over 18,000 lbs will have the registration fees go from $205 to $410.

Now not everyone is in Livingston but if you are please write to your representatives in Texas for Livingston they are Rep. James White and Senator Robert Nichols.

Please make an effort to contact these people to express your dismay.

Thank you,

Les

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Here is a copy of the e-mail:

Escapees Advocacy News
Urgent Update9ab4d796-fa5e-424c-97f4-66945a9598cc.jpg

Texas:
Several bills have been introduced in the Texas House of Representatives and are moving forward in the Texas Legislature. HB 401, authored by Representative Patricia Harless, calls for all vehicle registration fees to sharply increase.

New language in the Transportation Code calls for vehicles with a gross weight of 6,000 pounds (or less) to rise from $50.75 to $75, and then increase again January 1, 2018, to $100. While this increase may not appear to be terribly severe, heavier vehicles will have a larger impact. An RV, for instance, weighing between 18,001- 25,999 will increase from $205 to $410 if this bill passes.

Please review the entire content of HB 401. Feel free to contact the Transportation Committee members, if you so desire. It would also be advisable to contact your Representative where you reside in Texas. You are welcome to view a copy of our letter to the Committee as an example.

If we can stop the doubling of registration fees before it passes out of committee, that would be ideal, but this bill does require a Constitutional Amendment, which must be approved by the voters. This is an example of how important it is to carefully review and vote accordingly on Constitutional Amendments!

Note: Representative Harless has also introduced HB 399, which calls for a fuel tax increase.

Please contact your representative and members of the Transportation Committee to let them know the impact of higher registration fees will affect you and all Texas residents.

Jim Koca
Advocacy Director

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

What about some sort of electronic petition that could be sent to our legislative rep. responsible for our Livingston domicile address? Does souch a thing exist?

Scott & Carol Seibert + Harley Lil Pup
2002 U320 36' PBDS
Build# 5954 MC# 17212
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

What about some sort of electronic petition that could be sent to our legislative rep. responsible for our Livingston domicile address? Does souch a thing exist?

Individual, personalized letters or even e-mails seem to have a lot more impact than lists of names submitted by someone that has an interest in the legislation.

Hopefully this won't pass but if it does it is going to make the Escapees Home program offering domicile in South Dakota and Florida even more attractive.

This is a natural progession. It is hard to discuss this without being somewhat political. Some politicians don't raise taxes but they compensate by raising fees. That way they can crow about we don't raise and didn't raise your taxes it is the other party. You decide who that is. Money has to come from somewhere and out of someones pocket to maintain infrastructure (roads and bridges etc) and may or may not be warranted. The amount in this case does seem extreme. I can't be happy about it and I will call or email if I can. ( I have found that you can not always email your representative or senator without providing them with certain information)

Contacting your representatives is rather easy as they have an e-mail format right on their Web pagess. Writing to them anonymously will not help as they only care about who will or will not vote for them. As for where the money should come from, let's start by eliminating waste and big government and you will find plenty of money already in the coffers!

As for making SD or Florida attractive, maybe, but for SD only if your over 65 and can get medicare otherwise if under 65 you cannot get healthcare if using a mail forwarding address (why we moved to Texas). Cannot speak for Florida as we did not have any interest in moving there.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

In fact SD just recently passed a similar across the board increase in vehicle fees & tax. The SD increase was an avg of 20% and goes into effect next week 4/1/2015. In the SD case this was the first increse in almost 20 yrs, so there were few complaints. those states that have no state income tax, have to get funds somewhere.

Hopefully this won't pass but if it does it is going to make the Escapees Home program offering domicile in South Dakota and Florida even more attractive.

Jim

Be aware that I did not contact them anonymously. But I did have some type of issue that I don't recall exactly. To contact them by email I was requiered to furnish some information that I was unable to provide at the time. After speaking with them on the phone I was provided with an email address of an aide that I could use. I am not remembering at the moment which congressman it was but I believe it was Kevin Brady the best I can recall. Most of the time since then I have called, mailed, or even gone to an office in person. I volunteered in Maryland for about 7 months some years ago so I literally went to some offices in person. One for sure was Sen. John Cornyn who has turned out to be a major disapointment to me regardless of his party. However he is far and above better than our newest Sen. who appears to only want to represent himself for his own gain IMO.

For reference I am a Texas resident and have been since 1953 having come here at age 5.

In fact SD just recently passed a similar across the board increase in vehicle fees & tax. The SD increase was an avg of 20% and goes into effect next week 4/1/2015. In the SD case this was the first increse in almost 20 yrs, so there were few complaints. those states that have no state income tax, have to get funds somewhere.

Fine, if the state raises license fees that is one thing. But to play these games and disguise it as a "safety inspection" is a bit much. Just be honest, please. Most people understand the need for reasonable increases in revenues, but what Texas is doing is unacceptable.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
Daisy - The Japanese Chin
Alex - The Tibetan Spaniel
2010 Crossroads Kingston KF36CK
2008 F-250 6.4L
Edge Evolution Programmer
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Individual, personalized letters or even e-mails seem to have a lot more impact than lists of names submitted by someone that has an interest in the legislation.

How about Escapees, in their advocacy alerts, post the relevant legislators (for those of us with a Livingston addresses), the appropriate name, email, phone, and physical address of those politicians we should contact. Make it easy and more will do it.

Boy, glad I'm in Florida. Renewal for one year was $60 for coach and $45 for Jeep. The increase would put Texas on par with California for vehicle registration.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

How about Escapees, in their advocacy alerts, post the relevant legislators (for those of us with a Livingston addresses), the appropriate name, email, phone, and physical address of those politicians we should contact. Make it easy and more will do it.

Jim Koca, Escapees Advocacy Director has been pounding the pavement in Austin. We also reached out to TRVA (Texas Recreational Vehicle Association) who are also filing an opposition to the bill. Jim has also been in touch with the Texas Motor Transportation Association (Texas trucking association).

Fortunately, the bill will require a Constitutional Amendment to be passed by the voters in order to take effect. Still, it is much better to stop any forward motion as soon as possible.

You can look up your Texas Representatives easily on the Texas Legislature site: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/

If you are a Polk Country resident, contact:

Representative James White (District 19)

PO Box 2910

Austin, TX 78768

512-463-0490

You can also email Rep. White by going to http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/member-page/?district=19 but it is always best to send a letter by mail, even if you email him.

Perhaps a huge convoy of RVs to Austin to protest these dramatic increase would be in order. I would think that several hundred 5th wheels and motorhomes surrounding the State Capitol to protest this bill wood gain attention from the State Legislature. I would certainly partipate. Maybe something Escapees or some other RV organization could organize.

Under the proposed changes my 38' Fleetwood Discovery would cost $680.00. Wife and I live mostly on Social Security so this would be a big hit.

I thought that Republicans opposed Tax Increases.She is one.

Sure, this is not a "tax" increase, it is a "Fee" increase! Typical GOP double talk.

Here in AZ they are finally going to issue a Real ID compliant drivers license - for an extra "fee" - but they cannot call it "Real ID" since they passed a law against that. They will call it a "Voluntary Travel ID" since you will need it (or a passport) to board a domestic airplane starting next January. Guess who came up with that piece of double talk!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Not relevent but I just saw where one legislator in AZ is proposing mandetory church attendance.

Back in the early seventies, when lots of places gave a clergy discount, hubby and his entire division on the USS Mahan became ordained ministers in the Church of Universal Life. Might be time to dust off that document. :D

Boy, glad I'm in Florida. Renewal for one year was $60 for coach and $45 for Jeep. The increase would put Texas on par with California for vehicle registration.

My MH was $59.72 and MKS $36.47 that I went ahead and paid for 2 years at $119.45 MH and $72.95 for Toad.

For the new Texas 1 year of $410 is more then 6 years of FL. MH renewal.

Probably almost enough savings in FL to pay for mail forwarding.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Fine, if the state raises license fees that is one thing. But to play these games and disguise it as a "safety inspection" is a bit much. Just be honest, please. Most people understand the need for reasonable increases in revenues, but what Texas is doing is unacceptable.

The safety inspection has not changed. It is still $14.50. What's in discussion here is an increase in registration fees.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Florida rates are excellent for sure. But, let's remember, this is a "proposed" bill. Like "bigjim" indicated with the legislator who wants to make church attendance mandatory, all kinds of bills can be submitted, but that doesn't mean they'll pass.

The safety inspection has not changed. It is still $14.50. What's in discussion here is an increase in registration fees.

Only a politician would argue a difference between a fee and a tax. No matter what you call it, its money out of your pocket.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
Daisy - The Japanese Chin
Alex - The Tibetan Spaniel
2010 Crossroads Kingston KF36CK
2008 F-250 6.4L
Edge Evolution Programmer
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Back in the early seventies, when lots of places gave a clergy discount, hubby and his entire division on the USS Mahan became ordained ministers in the Church of Universal Life. Might be time to dust off that document. :D

Try here: http://www.ulc.org/ interesting folks.

Been a member since about 1968 and it has come in handy a few times. Heck of a time fitting it on my dog tags though.

Archived