Jewelry- how do you store it?

SandeeAR

I use a "travel roll-up thingy" that I hang on a sturdy hanger. When we travel, I hang it in the closet among the clothes so it doesn't swing. When we're parked, I hang it on a screw we put in the wall for that purpose. I keep mostly earrings & bracelets in this.

My husband put 2 10" strips of oak on a small wall space, stained them to match our interior & screwed cup hooks into the wood. I hang my necklaces on these. When we travel, I put plastic shopping bags around the necklaces & attach the handles to the cup hooks to keep the necklaces from swinging & to catch any that may fall. So far none have fallen & they don't get tangled up. It's working great for me.

David & Judi Kruse

Callie, Beagle

2012 Montana 3150 RL Hickory Edition

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4WD

"Off to see the Lizard"

www.mytripjournal.com/thekruses

I have a lovely little fabric thing from an Amish lady its basicly a circle with pockets for individual thing that draw up like a little purse. Other things I have in a clear plastic box that has adjustable pieces to make slots any size I want. The best idea I am implementing now is to use a button to keep each pair of earrings together. Just slip them thru the holes and put the backs on. Keeps me from digging in a pile to find what I want

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I put small cup hooks cclose together and as many as would fit on each side of the upper wood inside the shelves of my shelf closet in the bedroom. Sorted by gold on one side, silver on the other. Installed a battery led light above each shelf and can see everything when needed. The clothes still have room to fit nicely on the shelves. I had more to store so I also used a springrod and put it in the wasted space behind the bedroom TV cabinet. You can also use the springrod idea in the shelf closet instead of hooks. I used the hooks so I wouldn't have to take out the whole rod to get to what I want to wear.I also use the springrod idea acrosss the inside front of my dresser drawer for my bracelets. These ideas work great for me because I have LOTS of jewelry. I just love a little bling!Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

I have a jewelry hanger that I love for the rv. It is a closet hanger at the top and the hanging storage is about 18 inches wide and 24 long and flat. The front has small clear plastic pockets for earrings, larger pockets at the bottom for bracelets, watches or such. At the top on one side it has small flat Velcro loops for hanging necklaces. This keeps the necklaces from tangling. The back has larger pockets that would also work for scarves I think. I saw it at a Dress Barn and new it would work great, and has! Being so thin it takes up very little space. You can see one on their web site. (I just looked and that one is a bright pink, mine is a pretty black and white print.) I can't say enough about the part regarding the necklaces not tangling.... I don't know how to put a hyperlink here, but it is on their site under jewelry / organizers.

I had a TV around here, a black and white job, but after I built it, I lost interest. Heinlein.

If you have anything of real value, consider a small fire-proof safe for storage for those items. Also, make sure you have a jewelry rider on your insurance for the things of value.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

My wife also has a couple of those roll up thingys with a lot of compartments. When we were full-timing all the jewelry went into those thingys. She did not take anything a great value with us in the RV.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Thanks for all the tips. Now to just figure out which way will work best in our class C. I only have 26'. Lol. We are really down sizing. Necklaces are one thing I'm keeping bc with limited clothing, they can make a whole new outfit!

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

• 4 weeks later...

Necklaces are one thing I'm keeping bc with limited clothing, they can make a whole new outfit!

Someone on the forum shared this tip when we started fulltiming. One skirt hanger with about 10 plastic shower curtain rings on it holds all my "outfit maker" necklaces. I use the hanger's pincher clips to divide the rings of necklaces into 3 evenly balanced sections so the hanger stays level. The jewelry stays put and is protected when hung up between my clothes. Works great. All my "big" stuff is on one hanger.

For all the little earings and some special pieces, I use flat clear plastic tackle/doodad boxes from Walmart. They're about an inch tall and come in various widths and lengths. Don't think any of them were more than $5 and I can see what I'm looking for easily.

They are so handy I bought 2 more to straighten up the perpetual "junk" drawer. Awesome solution for both applications! Some of them have inserts so you can change the size of the compartments for longer pieces, be it a necklace or a screwdriver! LOL

Well I finally used command hooks for the necklaces. Will use binder clips on them when we move. Got one of the hanging bag style for the bracelets and earrings, it hangs on the outside of the bathroom door. Thanks for all the tips!

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

• 1 month later...

My favorite solution to this is using a flat storage container that hangs up like a hanger. There are compartments of various sizes that zip which I use for my jewelry. I bought another one for use as my stash of sewing items. It's skinny and takes up virtually no space. You can remove it from the closet, hang it on one of the cupboard handles to see the items, which are all in clear plastic pouches. I've found them at TJ Maxx and Hancock Fabrics. The original one I'd seen online was called "the little black dress" as it was shaped like a short black dress.

The Queen Jester, traveling with her husband, Left Brain in their RV named Seymour (See More...get it?)

• 6 months later...

I, too, use the little black dress hanger. Didn't want to take up ANY drawer or cabinet space for jewelry. I don't take the valuable things along very often.

Mic and Carol, with Kate the Beagle.

2011 Excel L33GKS Limited.

2011 Chevy LTZ, 3500HD, dually, crewcab, LB, 4x4, D/A.

2014 Chevy Equinox LTZ.

"Sometimes I need to stop and remember that today I'm living in the answered prayers of yesterday."

• 3 weeks later...

Take nothing with us that we are not wearing when we leave home. Too much of a problem. Leave anything of value in bank safety deposit box!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I'm with you! I take two pairs of earrings, two watches. Everything else goes in the safe deposit box at the bank.

Archived