Class of 2015

ezdays

Anyone out there ready for the fulltime lifestyle in 2015? I will be heading out the very day (well, maybe the next day) that I retire and can't wait. I think I have bought every book, read practically all of the forums available, and joined several memberships (Escapees, Rving for Women, and Workamper News) so by then I should know what I am doing. I have been RVing for over 20 years even though it's only been vacations and short weekend trips but I know this is what I want to do the rest of my life. I now own a 2011 Jayco Swift SLX, 18 FT, TT, but will upgrade when the times comes fo fulltiming. I have a bichon frise, Kobi, who will join me in my travels. He loves camping and people. I envy those that are fulltiming now but soon I'll be one of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone out there ready for the fulltime lifestyle in 2015? I will be heading out the very day (well, maybe the next day) that I retire and can't wait. I think I have bought every book, read practically all of the forums available, and joined several memberships (Escapees, Rving for Women, and Workamper News) so by then I should know what I am doing. I have been RVing for over 20 years even though it's only been vacations and short weekend trips but I know this is what I want to do the rest of my life. I now own a 2011 Jayco Swift SLX, 18 FT, TT, but will upgrade when the times comes fo fulltiming. I have a bichon frise, Kobi, who will join me in my travels. He loves camping and people. I envy those that are fulltiming now but soon I'll be one of them.

Hi! I’ve just joinedEscapees. I’m glad to know someoneelse thinks this isn’t too soon to be planning. I too will be retiring in 2015 and plan togo on the road full time as soon as possible after my last day in the office. My RVingexperience to date has been limited to vacations. But I was a single mom and a Boy Scout leaderfor YEARS (I have 3 sons) and have learned to be prepared. Ithink if I start now, I’ll be ready for whatever comes down the road by 2015. I have just started researching. There’s so much good information outthere. I look forward to reading and readingand reading all about it.

1351381736[/url]' post='577592']

Hi! I've just joinedEscapees. I'm glad to know someoneelse thinks this isn't too soon to be planning. I too will be retiring in 2015 and plan togo on the road full time as soon as possible after my last day in the office. My RVingexperience to date has been limited to vacations. But I was a single mom and a Boy Scout leaderfor YEARS (I have 3 sons) and have learned to be prepared. Ithink if I start now, I'll be ready for whatever comes down the road by 2015. I have just started researching. There's so much good information outthere. I look forward to reading and readingand reading all about it.

There's so much you have to do before starting the fulltime lifestyle. Need to select a domicile, get insurance ( even though I will have Medicare), decide where you want to go and if you plan to workamp or volunteer. I plan to workamp to help supplement my income. Really looking forward to getting out there and just enjoying life. I've learned a lot from this forum. The people here are very helpful andNo question is too dumb. Ask a lot--everyone here is willing to help.

We also are starting to plan for our retirement and to start fulltiming in the fall of 2015. This is when we will have DS off to college. One of our biggest concerns is planning for medical care. We have Kaiser and like it. I have had Kaiser since I was a child. So we will probably have our domicile and mailing address in a state that has Kaiser coverage. Has anyone had any trouble maintaining Kaiser coverage on the road?

We are hoping to be members of the class of 2015 if all goes well. If not, it's 2016. It can't get here soon enough!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone....

Well, if everything goes as planned (yes, I know the "of mice and men" line) I should be heading out as a fulltimer in 2015....I'll probably be late in the year, around October. I have a high school reunion that fall and I plan to stay around here for that before hitting the road.

Nice to know some others are planning so far in advance. I don't have an RV yet, hoping to do that in 2014. In the meantime, I'm working my last two and a half years as a teacher and lurking around this forum (and others) to learn as much as I can.

I'll be flying solo, but I hope to get about a 30-34 foot class A. A used gasser that is in good shape. Then I'll slowly make my way down the I-81 corridor (or there abouts), heading towards Livingston. Stay there long enough to become a "Real Texan" and then head west, planning on landing in Yuma area. Summers will include a stop in Colorado where my daughter lives and then a few months in the surrounding states, before creeping back down to the desert for the winter.

Glad to see someone has already started our class. I'm set up to follow this, so keep in touch. I don't know much about anything (esp. RV'ing), but I'm always willing to give advice....just remember, my advice is usually worth what you paid for it. :lol:

See ya,

Wayne from PA

Wayne from PA

Ask a lot of questions on this forum if you have a poblem. Everyone here is so informative and can answser any question you may have on RV'ing. There are also some great books out there, as well. I can't wait to hit the road and have been planning for three yeas. I'll know exactly what needs to get done by the time by retirement is here. There ae so many tings hat you need to research -- health insuance, domicile state, can you really afford fulltiming, workamping, volunteering, etc. I already have my travel trailer but I want to upgrade to a larger one by 2015.

• 2 months later...

We just joined Escapees forum and planning on becoming full-timers the fall of 2015. Have our 5R and truck. I got laid off last December and have been working on our downsizing - am amazed at all the stuff we've accumulated!! What the kids don't want, we'll sell at yard sales. It's exciting and sad - but I'll enjoy visiting my grandmother's hutch at my son's house!

Marianne

Ken and Marianne

2000 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5R

2002 Ford F350 Dually

Hi Everybody,
I would like very much to join the "Class of 2015". I am brand spankin' new to Escapees and eager to learn all I can. I plan to hit the open highways (or in my case 'country roads') full time by late 2015 but will most likely be living fulltime in my RV by late 2014.

My amazing wonderful daughter will be in college by then and I will be suffering some major empty nest issues. She is 17 and I have raised her by myself for 15 of those years which means I have really had only one job, one priority, one goal for that last 15 years. Her entering college, my extremely empty nest, my lifelong love of travel and camping and my need for challenge and creativity is all going to collide into a perfect storm of independance and adventure. I can't wait! :D

Since I will be flying solo, pre-retirement age, interested in small towns more than large cities, traveling with pets and want to spend as much time as possible volunteering for churches and outreach groups,,, I am anxious to gleen as much information as I can about things like work camping, solo women rv safety issues, pet issues, boondocking and volunteer oportunities.

I plan to purchase my RV within the next year. Right now I am looking at a Travel Trailer; I'm hoping for an ultra-light I can pull with a 4x4 F150. Really leaning toward the 26-29 footers with a dinning area slide out. Hope to sell current home summer of 2014 and move into RV while still working current 9-5 (aka build up my savings) then hit the open road when my daughter is in her second year of college. I've got my work cutout for me but I'm not afraid of a little hard work. :wacko:

Anyway, I welcome any and all info on Fulltiming, Solo Traveling, Work Camping, Boondocking, Travel Trailers, RV Pets and Volunteer stuff. Plus I am really looking forward to making a bunch of new friends that share my wanderlust and appreciation of a more mobile, adventurous lifestyle. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to getting to know the rest of my 'classmates'.

Tina

The Ginger Gypsy

FT in 2014

“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

"Livin' Large and Lovin' Life"

Living Large has nothing to do with size or money.

It is better defined as having a life that is full of meaning and purpose.

A life that unleashes your natural passion, shaped and directed by your wisdom and faith.

Welcome to the club. You'll find a lot of helpful answers to any question you might post. There is never a stupid question so don't feel like you can't throw out any question you might have. I' m heading out in April 2015 right after I retire. I'll be retirement age and can't wait. I see you want to purchase a TT. That's what I have now but plan to purchase a larger ultra lite one soon. You need to make sure you can tow with your truck. I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 with towing package but can only tow 6800 lbs total GVWR. You may not be able to get a 29 or larger TT without it being over the weight for your truck. Fivers are totally out--too heavy. ID do some research first on TT's so you don't go over the allowable weight. There are some nice ultra lite ones and under the 6800 GVWR weight. You'll also have to decide if you plan to be in cold weather because you'll need to make sure nothing freezes. There are all seasons TT's but more expensive. I plan to stay in warm weather-- I hate the cold. So much to think about but there are excellent books out there to help in planning. I think I have every book available and have learned a lot. Good luck.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Highway Ranger - we saw some of your posts over in the Newmar forum of iRV2. We too are looking at the Newmar line for our fulltiming rig. The DW is in love with the 4018 model of the Ventana or Dutchstar. We are hoping to have one when we hit the road in 2015. BTW, we are also in Southern California and can't wait until we can head on out of here. Love the weather but.... Hopefully we'll see ya on the road in 2015 in your new Dutchstar.

Mike

Mike, yes, we are still hoping to order a new DSDP 4018 for the 2015 model year (2016 at the latest) to go fulltime. We will try to go tour the factory in the next year or so, and hopefully that will seal the deal regarding the brand. Recently, there was not a new Dutch Star anywhere in California to look at. I don't understand how Newmar expects to attract buyers from this state without putting coaches out here to evaluate. Makes me nervous about their financial health........

See you out there!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

Roy,

Yes, it seems that Newmar's Dealer network has shrunk propbably starting in 2008 with the economic downturn. However, I understand they are working to "qualify" new Dealers. In fact, one of the Dealerships in San Diego just took on the Newmar line. That Dealership was at the recent RV Show in Qualcomm standium last month. We went there and saw the Ventana 4018 at the Show. DW loved the 4018 and I too am leaning towards that model. The Ventana was more impressive to us than the Phaeton we saw at the show with a very similar floorplan (but only 2000# CCC!). We were considering the Phaeton but after comparing the two and finding out the carrying capacity of the Phaeton, we are sold on the Newmar line.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Is it 2015 yet!? :rolleyes: (just kidding) Although I am super anxious to become a fulltimer... yet I know I have SO MUCH work to do before I can actually "cut the cord".

My question today is.... Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for bringing in a little supplemental income? I am currently working full-time and getting my daughter through her last year of high school ready for college so I don't really have the time or inclination to take on an additional (traditional) job at night or anything. Part of my plan is to enter fulltiming as "debt free" as possible and with a savings account that would support me for at least 6 months but preferably a full year. In order to do that I need to bring in a few extra dollars each month. I have run the gauntlet of work from home schemes and Avon and Health Supplements, etc. I am somewhat technically savvy but I am NOT a programmer or engineer. I just keep thinking there HAS to be something out there that I can do to bring in a few hundred dollars here and there. Besides, since I will be entering fulltiming "pre-retirement" I will have to find a way to earn money while I'm out there and it would be great if I could get a headstart on something now that I could transition into a Fulltime RV lifestyle. Anybody have any ideas??

BTW.... Looks like there are a few of us in the Class of 2015 that will be Solo RVing Women. :) Three cheers for independant, adventurous women who aren't afraid to grab life and travel on our own. And three more cheers for ALL full-time RVers who aren't content to sit on the couch and let life pass us by. We live in an amazingly beautiful country, can't wait to explore it more and meet all of you in person someday. :D

Blessings,

Tina

The Ginger Gypsy

FT in 2014

“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

A life that unleashes your natural passion, shaped and directed by your wisdom and faith.

Tina,

Do you plan to keep working your fulltime job when you start "fulltiming" in 2015? Or, do you plan to retire from work and are just looking for a little additional cash?

We believe we'll have enough from our retirement savings to get by, but we have looked at "workamping" to occasionally help us stretch our dollars. For example, a Camp Host where you get your site for free. Its barter type compensation. PROS are you do not have to deal with taxes implications, and of course your expenses are lower for the months you are Camp Hosting. A possible CON is you have to stay in that position for a certain number of months. If your plans call for keeping on the move and not staying in one place for more than days or weeks at a time, it may not be for you. Of course there are many other workamp opportunities including ones that pay a salary.

Mike

Mike & Lorraine - My "plans" for income are to keep my fulltime job for the first year (while my daughter is still getting established in college) so I can stay close to Denver and payoff any remaining debt then 'cut the safety line' and resign from fulltime job to start working some work-kamper options and become a little more mobile. I would like to have some kind of passive income in conjunction with my work-kamping income, either online or through sales of my 'creations'. Eventually, I hope to have income stabilized and lifestyle frugal enough that I can spend a goodly portion of the year volunteering at some type of missionary work, helping with disaster clean up, helping build houses, etc.

So.... for right now I'm hoping to find SOMETHING I can start to grow into a stable passive income in the next year or two. I figure if I can do it in conjuction with my fulltime job then it will be a piece of cake to keep working it alongside my work-kamping jobs. :D

That's my PLAN anyway....now as for the HOW part,,,I haven't quite figure that out yet. :o

Tina

The Ginger Gypsy

FT in 2014

Hello class of 2015,

My wife cyndie and I are new to this forum but have read lots of other information on full timing. We have traveled all over the country our first twenty years together but never had the time or the funds to do much more then survive. Uncle Sam was not very generous on payday. We have been planning our escape for a few years and now all the kids are out of the house and we have no excuses accept the fear of un-certainty and a few more bills to pay off. The house needs a little TLC and then on the market it goes. Until that happy day we will keep planning and reading this site and others like it to gather all the info we can. Hope to see you all soon out on the road. It is great to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We would love to be escapee class members of the class of 2015

Mike & Cyndie

Mike & Cyndie, welcome! This is a small group right now, but it still has plenty of time to grow. We are just like you, learning everything we can and looking forward to hitting the road in 2015.

Kayelange, welcome also! One book DW and I have found useful is "Retire to an RV: The Roadmap to Affordable Retirement" by Jaimie Hall and Alice Zyetz. Doesn't necessarily have all the answers, only you do. But it does a good job of laying out all the basics you need to consider in order to hit the road as a fulltimer and gives you plenty of info to help you decide what fulltiming will be like for you. Plus it has various perspectives from other current fulltimers that have approached fulltiming in their own way which made sense for their situation. Helps you to understand there is no one way to go about fulltiming. A lot of what is in the book I've picked up over the years of "lurking" in the various RV forums, including this one. But it is nice to have all that info in one well laid out book.

Let us know if you come across any useful books on fulltiming. I am on the hunt now for good technical books on RV's and all their many complicated components. I figure the more I know about maintenance and upkeep, the more comfortable I'll be when we start out. We have had RV's in the past, trailers and fifth wheels, but we have our eye on a DP for fulltiming and we want to prepare ourseleves as much as we can for the RV, as well as, the lifestyle.

Mike and Lorraine

• 1 month later...

Well I guess its time to join A class and it seems 2015 as close as I can figure to A start time. I have a lot to do on my house here in NH to make it more desirable to buyers.

Two weeks ago I had a lady from a local antics store come by and relieved me of some of my treasures. Next week a guy from a second hand store is going to stop by to look. Hope he takes all the stuff I have stored and not used in years. I’m just going to keep the stuff I use and sell the rest when I get closer to lift off date.

I plan to get a new to me Arctic Fox 25-27TT foot unit and pull it with a 1 ton flat bed with my ATV and bike on back. I have seen pre loved units with all the add-ons for a good price.

All this is depends on my house selling but I don’t see that being a problem.

This is a wonderful forum and I have learned a lot and will ask questions as I get closer to departure time.

Hope to meet you all on the road Scott.

Scott, welcome to the Class of 2015!

DW and I are working on downsizing as well. We have not started going through the big items, yet. In fact, DW just finished scanning all of our paper records (boxes and boxes of them) onto a thumb drive. We cleared out all the boxes we had stacked against one wall of the garage full of old tax documents and such. Some of it we just shredded rather than scanning it onto disk. (Why were we holding on to tax returns from 1999? And business records from 1985?). Next, we have a lot of rooms to go through to sort stuff by keep, sell, give to relatives, or donate. Once we are done with that, it's spruce up the house and put it up for sale. We are hoping to be on the road by mid-2015.

I imagine as we get into 2014 and more people join this group, we will want to start talking about a get-together for the Class of 2015. Hmmm, maybe at the 2015 Escapade or something like that. Anyway, plenty of time to talk about that.

Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Mike

I have just announced that I flunked the Class of 2013 and am hoping to join the Class of 2015. I have shed plenty of tears at this announcement, but I am just not ready. The house I bought in go-go 2005 as an investment for my retirement is now a heavy weight keeping me from my goals. I have done a lot to the systems of the house, but not much to the looks. Lots to do to get it ready to sell.

I accepted a new assignment at work which may require a 2-year commitment. Not sure exactly why I did that except for increased pension benefits. . . increased by very little.

I will get my plans and schemes in order and hope to be on the road in 2015 with yall. LG

LG, Welcome to the Class of 2015!

I am sorry your plans for this year did not work out. We too would love to start our fulltime adventure this year. But, circumstances force us to wait until the end of next year to retire. It's difficult I know to determine when to stop working. A little extra in the pension fund is nice, but where do you draw the line on a little extra money VS a little extra time on the road? We thought long and hard on the answer and think we've determined that right date for us. But there is not a day goes by that I don't wish we were already in our motorhome saying goodbye to work and hello to full timing.

Let us all know how things work out for you.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my husband Kevin and I are hoping to fulltime RV in 2015 when are daughter graduates college.

We are hoping to purchase a Class A diesel motorhome with a jeep tow vehicle in the summer of 2014.

I'm looking into gate guard jobs to supplement our retirement income.

I looked into domicile states and decided South Dakota would meet our needs the best.

The clubs I look forward to joining are the Family Motor Coach Association, Passport America, and I already joined Escapee and Sam Club.

The camping discounts: I probably buy are the National Park Discount, New Mexico Annual Camping Discount for state parks. Anyone find any other ones?

Books for my camping reference library - I plan on adding a few more. lol

• I bought a Casino Camping Book by Janet Kenny
  • The Most Scenic Drives in America by Readers Digest
  • Big Road Atlas
  • RV camping in state parks by D.J. Davin
  • RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory
  • Frommers's Exploring America by RV
  • Frommer's National Park of the American West
  • Wildlife Watching in America's National Parks A seasonal guide-just ordered this so I'm not sure how handy it will be but we enjoy wildlife spotting(especially birds)

Figuring out how to plan a trip is very overwhelming at this point. The map software is tough (big learning curve for me) but I have until 2015 to figure it out. :)

Microsoft street trips & Maps or Google .....not sure what I'm going to use

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31SA

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

RV Blog: http://seizethedayrvadventure.com/

Archived