RV Oven

sdeasy

We've been full-time for a year and neither of us miss the house and are really enjoying this lifestyle. I would say that the only thing I really miss is a real oven. Having to get down on the floor to light it, using a flash light to see if the food is cooked and the uneven cooking is just too much! Have a high tech TV/DVR/stereo, a microwave/convection oven and modern LED lights. So why the antiquated oven? Do any of you know of a manufacturer that sells a small real oven that would fit in an RV? If not, should we replace it with something else? A large toaster oven? (We have a small one on our table.) I know some folks really don't bake but I do, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just purchased a 5th wheel and special ordered a Verona gas oven. My wife loves to bake also and does not like convection. Have not tried it out yet. We pick up our new full time rig on June 9th. 82 days and counting!!!

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

There are several reasons the typical RV oven it what you have today. One is simplicity and another is cost. Most RV ovens are really not used that much and so they don't spend much to upgrade them. You can greatly improve the baking issues by placing either an unglazed tile of about 12" square in the bottom of the oven or must place a pizza baking stone under the pans when you use the oven. A major part of the oven's uneven temperatures is that it is so small and has so little mass that temperatures change much to rapidly and with the type of controls that they use it just can't keep up. The added mass of a tile or stone will go a long way to correct that problem.

Pam enjoyed her RV oven so much that when we downsized she didn't get any oven at all. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk. I have a pizza stone, so I'll try that later today when I make carrot cake. If it works, I'll send you a few slices!

Shirley & Neil

We replaced our RV oven with a Fisher Paykel dishdrawer dishwasher and put a Whirlpool Velos Gold Speedcook convection microwave in place of the microwave. It was the largest on the market at the time could fit a 16" pizza in it. I love it unfortunately they don't make them anymore. It broils, steams, microwaves and convection bakes. Several items are pre-programed so you just follow the LED display directions and press start.

There was a poster on here that put a residential 24" slide in gas range in your Travel Supreme 5th wheel, I don't remember the brand. HitchyItch I think was their handle.

Here are several that may be of interest: CLICK HERE

Verona makes a quality gas cooktop.

I called the manufacturer of our oven to see if we could upgrade our oven so we would not have to light the pilot manually. The short answer is no. I did a internet search and did come up with this solution to the pilot lighting issue. As others have said I believe the pizza stone or "tile" has helped the uneven cooking. The link to the internet solution is: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24521274.cfm.

Good luck!

Jim

We bought a Nuwave counter top cooker this winter and since then we havent used the propane oven once. It will do everything from pizza to steak, bran muffins, cake , pies and evena whole chicken. It uses 120 volts so if boondocking I will start the generator for a while but we are very pleased with it. My wife likes the fact that it requires no preheating and can use it outside to avoid heating up. The RV.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I tried the pizza stone in the bottom yesterday and that did give me more even cooking. At some point we may replace it with an induction stove top unit and just use the convection feature if the microwave. Ours only goes to 425 degrees so it doesn't cook pizza well. And it is too small for a turkey. But that is why we will have Thanksgiving at my nieces house!

Shirley & Neil

We have a convection microwave instead of an oven. There was a learning curve with it, but Alie appreciates the dishwasher that went in place of the oven. 3 burner drop in cook top, thats about never used, and 2 Nuwave induction burners that we use everyday. Anything big that won't fit in the microwave goes in a roaster that's buried in the bottom storage.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 3 months later...

Old thread but a suggestion. You might check out the propane stoves available for marine use. There are quite a few available and seem to be much upgraded over what's available for RVs. They are expensive, but if cooking is a passion, what is money? I'm cheap, cheap, cheap, but I'll be looking into upgrading to a marine quality stove so I can do my baking. I simply have to have my home made bread.

Thanks for this idea. My husband is going to look into this. I really would like a better oven. We love homemade cookies and pizza!

Shirley & Neil

Regarding the turkey. My first solution was to cut it in half length ways with my saber saw and lay it flat in a pan.. Did that for several years then discovered what everyone except me knew - they make electric turkey roasters. The one we got will cook up to a 22 pounder.

It stayed in a basement compartment when not in use. Works great for other things also.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Regarding the turkey. My first solution was to cut it in half length ways with my saber saw and lay it flat in a pan.. Did that for several years then discovered what everyone except me knew - they make electric turkey roasters. The one we got will cook up to a 22 pounder.

It stayed in a basement compartment when not in use. Works great for other things also.

I gave one to a friend for a gift and included the "buffet" insert

.31oURJ5GOWL.jpg

It works great for side dishes as pictured and great for tacos, meat in one, beans in another and rice or onions and peppers;

Works like a slow cooker. Put it outside and keep the rig cool.

Just learn to use the convection side of the microwave/convection you have. When not in microwave mode treat it just like a regular oven. You will bake at the same temp but start checking just a few minutes before the shortest time recommended. I never used the gas oven in the 5th wheel and don't miss having one in the motorhome

I don't cook big things like whole turkeys. I do half a Brest for us and we are good

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

My wife loves to bake also. So we got the little RV oven and with a pizza stone it is great. I offer to get down and start the oven because I want what comes out. :) it is always great! but for Pizza we both prefer that done on the grill. So I start up the gas grill through on some soaked apple wood chips and double some wrinkled aluminum foil, to form a pan and out come pizza with a slight taste and smell of smoke and it doesn't get any better than that. Part of the joy of living in a house with wheels.

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

In regards to the turkey: Have your butcher cut it up like a chicken. Put the wings & back in the crock pot. Arrange the breast and legs in your roasting pan as if the back was still there. Use a meat thermometer to be sure it gets done. The first thanksgiving after we were married, we were living in WWII GI trailer housing (this was in 1970) that had a small oven like RV's have. Put the turkey in...it filled the oven. Bottom was done, but not the breast, so I had to turn the turkey over in the pan to finish cooking.

• 1 month later...

I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd comment from recent experience.

My wife and I have complained about things getting burned on the bottom when they're baked in the oven. It's been a common thing here. For pizza, we got in the habit of baking them on one of those thick cookie sheets that would shield the bottom somewhat.

Today, I tried baking bread. I hadn't done that in an rv oven before and was a little nervous about that. And when I say I baked bread, I mean I ground the wheat, proofed yeast in warm water, added a few more ingredients, kneaded, let rise (3 times), and then baked. It's a process, and I've had great success in a standard home type oven.

I did just add a round pizza stone in the bottom of the oven, though, as 13". It doesn't actually cover any of the holes that allow heat to rise in the oven but it does place a block in between most of the metal on the bottom that shields the flame and the oven rack. I have to use the lowest of the rack settings because the loaves are big, they'd hit the top of the oven if I put it higher.

But the bread came out great! Not burned on the bottom. And nicely done.

I was pleased. The pizza stone really does make a difference!

Just my experience.

Thanks for joining the thread and reporting your wonderful results. I agree that a pizza stone does help a lot. Seems to even out the heat. I use the middle position for most things or I get burning on the bottom and undone on the top. But having made bread in the past, I understand about rising loafs. Wish I was there to sample your results!

I'm still unhappy with RV ovens and we will are thinking of solutions as mentioned in this thread.

Shirley

Shirley & Neil

Well, thanks to this thread and few others, I bought a Breville Smart IQ Convection Toaster oven a few weeks ago. What a great solution! Yes, there is a price to pay and though Bed Bath and Beyond does have a 20% coupon it specifically exempts the Breville Ovens. I did find, though, that through Amazon I was able to order it and finally opt for the Amazon VISA card and got $70 credit which got it to less than BB*B 20%. Since I accumulate American Express rewards and Amazon accepts those as direct $ for $ payment at checkout, I did not pay anything out of pocket.

Now, how does it cook? Great! First I did some frozen waffles (been awhile since I could have a crispy waffle). Just right. We have baked a few things in it and each has come out just like we wanted. Still have a lot of things to try and it won't do a 20lb turkey but we could not eat that much turkey, anyway.

I was shopping for the mid sized version until I realized that only the full sized Smart IQ was also a convection oven. We were mostly concerned about the loss of counter space but we just cleaned off the "drop-zone" where everything ends up when we walk into the RV, and it fit perfectly. If we really need that space back I can get the bamboo cutting board for the top that is designed to keep things placed on top, cool but I would rather not have the drop-zone at all.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

we just cleaned off the "drop-zone" where everything ends up when we walk into the RV, and it fit perfectly. If we really need that space back I can get the bamboo cutting board for the top that is designed to keep things placed on top, cool but I would rather not have the drop-zone at all.

My favorite answer to the drop zone was a hanging pockets-type shoe bag hung from the back of a dinette that was just inside the door. Keys, sunglasses, slippers, etc. each had their pockets yet there was no countertop mess or tripping over slippers.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived