Do we need these things when we go FT?

RMD3819

About motels. We have traveled with 2 cats since 2005. For 4 1/2 years we fulltimed. Currently we travel 4-8 months of the year. We have never had to stay in a motel.

Many times but not always RV repair places let you stay at night in your RV in their parking lot while repairs are made during the daytime.

That is not to say that there aren't some repairs that you MUST leave the RV in the shop and you stay in the motel. It is that it doesn't happen all that often.

'

We've full-timed since 2008 and only had to stay in a motel maybe 2 or 3 nights due to the fiver being in the shop. The real deal came this summer when we were homeless from 6/16 through 8/6 after hail destroyed our rig and insurance hauled it off after being totaled. Over 5000 truck miles and 2000 car miles between rigs... there were some motels involved and the cat did great having her own bed every night (aka crate) even if the room changed frequently. Didn't plan to be homeless, but "life happens when you've made other plans."

WOW!

What great responses. Some of the scenarios presented I would have never thought of.

After talking with DW-

Halogen lights-no. I told DW the general consensus from you folks and she agreed.

Chainsaw-no. I hope to not be in a position to need one but it was helpful to hear from those who use one and in what situations.

Pet carrier-Yes. It is the folding cage type. I attached a photo of the type it is. I would feel better knowing we had a secure place for them, especially in an emergency. It is somewhat large and heavy but for now I want the peace of mind.

Blue boy-Still on the fence but leaning towards no. When we get the rig we'll see how we are with space.

Thanks to everyone.

post-55503-0-65294100-1475337859_thumb.jpeg

Just a note on the blue boy.. if you decide to go ahead with one. Al mentioned that they really don't tow very well for any great distance, which is very true for the most part, but as far as totes go... the Barker 4 wheel tote is probably your best bet for tow-ability. They have oversized pneumatic tires, axle bearings, and a good sturdy metal handle that's hitch friendly.

I carry a 32gal Barker that has held up surprisingly well.

• 2 months later...

Chain saw might be handy occasionally, but not likely. They are a real pain to carry since they need gasoline and bar oil, both of which make a major mess. We were only fulltime for 12 years but never once regretted leaving mine behind.

The blue-boy we did not take and eventually got a replacement for it. We didn't use it much, but it was very reassuring to have along as a security device just in case. Empty they don't weigh much and most of us have more space than weight capacity.

We carried a pair of those lights with us for two years, then left them with my son so we could retrieve them if needed. We never missed them.

Pet kennel is something that I would carry but not for a motel. Motels that don't allow pets still mean that the pet has to be in your car and not the room. But your pet is safer when traveling at highway speeds if it is in the kennel and the kennel where it stays put if you should have an accident. Ours was kept inside of the RV for use on the highway.

Only 12 years? You are a super veteran!!

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

Archived