Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan? Any Catches?

Solo18

I have looked up the new unlimited data plan from Verizon, but am suspicious, well, because it is Verizon. I currently have two mobile hotspots and a cell phone. Can't get through to them because of weak cell service in current location, but wondered if anyone has found any "catches" to the program.

Suggestion - view post by View New Content. link is on the op right side of the forum page.

You will see the post about this topic just a few down from the top.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

For cell phone data usage, after 22MB your speed MAY be reduced ("deprioritized") depending on tower congestion. My understanding is that any tethered usage will drop to 3G speeds after 10MB.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

For cell phone data usage, after 22MB your speed MAY be reduced ("deprioritized") depending on tower congestion. My understanding is that any tethered usage will drop to 3G speeds after 10MB.

GB, not MB. But otherwise that's my understanding as well. On the real nice side, 500MB per day of 4G LTE in Canada and Mexico ... then dropping to 2G it appears.

Here's the press release http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

A repeat of an often shared suggestion from the 2C's of Technomadia fame:)!

For those with Grandfathered UDP, but Off Contract, they suggest you get back into an On Contract mode.

I've been off contract for years, due to every time I'd go talk with them about anything (Plan related, or upgrading my phone.), they always said sure, but then I'd lose my UDP. This changed about 18 month ago, when they finally allowed me to add HotSpot feature usage on my phone for an added charge per month.

I'd just bought the Samsung S6 from SWAPA, so did not need a phone.

The S6 is doing me well, but I'm looking at a Costco special from 2/13-20, where they lower the monthly payment on a phone. So I'm going to take a hard look at upgrading the phone now, with going back On Contract in the mix too. (Motorola Force Moto Z, or the Samsung S7. Have always been a Motorola user, as I felt they had superior antennas. The S6 has been fine, and is my first non Motorola. Leaning towards the Motorola Force Z for the bit higher battery capacity, and the camera is pretty dang good too:)! But still researching.)

Sorry to have gone on this much, my nature, but wanted to repeat that caution about getting aback On Contract if GF UDP.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

A repeat of an often shared suggestion from the 2C's of Technomadia fame:)!

For those with Grandfathered UDP, but Off Contract, they suggest you get back into an On Contract mode.

I've been off contract for years, due to every time I'd go talk with them about anything (Plan related, or upgrading my phone.), they always said sure, but then I'd lose my UDP. This changed about 18 month ago, when they finally allowed me to add HotSpot feature usage on my phone for an added charge per month.

I'd just bought the Samsung S6 from SWAPA, so did not need a phone.

The S6 is doing me well, but I'm looking at a Costco special from 2/13-20, where they lower the monthly payment on a phone. So I'm going to take a hard look at upgrading the phone now, with going back On Contract in the mix too. (Motorola Force Moto Z, or the Samsung S7. Have always been a Motorola user, as I felt they had superior antennas. The S6 has been fine, and is my first non Motorola. Leaning towards the Motorola Force Z for the bit higher battery capacity, and the camera is pretty dang good too:)! But still researching.)

Sorry to have gone on this much, my nature, but wanted to repeat that caution about getting aback On Contract if GF UDP.

Best to all,

Smitty

Buying a phone on the Device Payment Plan (DPP) does not put your plan back on contract. It is a separate contract for the phone purchase. Verizon no longer sells subsidized phones which extends your plan contract.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Buying a phone on the Device Payment Plan (DPP) does not put your plan back on contract. It is a separate contract for the phone purchase. Verizon no longer sells subsidized phones which extends your plan contract.

and, somehow....I got them to sell me an Iphone for .99 and put my Grandfathered UDP on a two year contract mid last year from their website. The same time they were actively trying to close down out of contract UDPs. Whatever Verizon!

and, somehow....I got them to sell me an Iphone for .99 and put my Grandfathered UDP on a two year contract mid last year from their website. The same time they were actively trying to close down out of contract UDPs. Whatever Verizon!

I did too. However, starting on January 5, they did away with subsidized phones on contract. A few people have been able to bypass that new rule since then by using the Verizon iconic portal, but they are a rare exception.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We took two Moto Z Droid Play phones for $17.00 a month payment for two years, and in every month they deduct $17 = zero cost after paying taxes and two 20 dollar activation fees, and one $80 something charge for two Battery mods with wireless charging, buy one get one free, on a Christmas promo. We can quit any time but would have to pay the balance of the phone. We still have our two Lumia 735s which are great phones but they have hardware limitations like not being able to display the time and notifications on the lock screen, but we may just go back to them as Google is intrusive and a PITA. Like the Apple folks I prefer MS' walled garden and have my fake ID for google. I can't do anything from them involving my real phone numbers or any banking or online purchasing. We do that from our desktops at home. I am really disappointed in MS for dropping their phone line, and Verizon for not insisting on carrying a CDMA version of the Lumia 900 series top of the line phones. AT&T just doesn't work around this area as well as Verizon. I have no use for most of the Apps in the Play Store and there are so many I have to spend time online checking them out on the computers anyway.

We do use the non-Google, non-Playstore, Fire OS which is derived from the Android kernel, but completely different and Google does not share in that information. I don't mind Amazon having my info because they will not share that with third parties, they want to sell me, not give my trade to another. We have three Fire HDX tablets, two 7" 3rd generation one 16GB storage and the other 64GB, and one 8.9" fourth generation HDX tablet with 32GB tablet

for reading our Kindle books, movie download use on airline and road trips with no WiFi needed.

So we really don't need or want our phones to be replacements for our home computers and Surface pro 3 and Venue 11 Pro Windows 10 tablets. They are convenient, but truth be told I can easily go back to a flip phone.

I don't really like Verizon, they are just the only phones that work in and out of town in my region. Also they gave us a non contract 2GB service between us both and after a military discount we pay only$78 a month. We have never used more than 512MB and that once in two years.

At home we used more than 149 GB of pour unlimited, unthrottled, High speed Internet this month alone, between 3 February, and 11 February 2017. We stream a lot using Sling TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and CuriosityStream TV (https://curiositystream.com/?utm_adgroup=Curiosity%20-%20Exact&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=S-Defense&utm_term=curiosity%20tv&utm_content=Curiosity%20-%20Exact )

I expect the next generation of RVrs, as well as campers and travelers on land and sea will have the same unlimited broadband service via satellite within five or ten years max from Google and Space X. I just hope Google's non-privacy policy won't apply. For the folks using their Android phones for Internet movie and TV, the Google policy won't worry them. I might try it myself.

But for now this unlimited with an asterisk offer looks pretty good.

Let's remember the Phone companies had all the Internet service locked up in the beginning because it was all dial up. The phone companies offered free websites but never really went into the ISP biz when they could have been like the cable companies today.

Once again we are seeing the cable companies and the wireless carriers ignoring LEO space Internet and voice. It is again as obvious as electric cars and autonomous vehicles were to anyone who kept abreast of developments. Within ten years most vehicles will be autonomous and personal ownership will begin its demise as well in favor of autonomous Uber-like services yet to be fleshed out.

The changes you are seeing now are based on their knowledge of what is coming very soon. It is also too late for them, to get in on it. Greed works only short term. Had Space X been around to launch at half price or less, than the ULA monopoly pricing at the turn of the century, Gates and Teledesic might have been up and running today. Who knows, he may jump in to the Space X deal yet.

In other words pricing and unlimited are going to increase in unlimited while pricing continues to go down.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

GB, not MB. But otherwise that's my understanding as well. On the real nice side, 500MB per day of 4G LTE in Canada and Mexico ... then dropping to 2G it appears.

Here's the press release http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

Yes, GB of course. Must have been a long day. Thanks for the catch! :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived