Headlight upgrade

rdickinson

Has anyone or how many have upgraded the Volvo headlights to the $ 500 + LED lites?...I think they are LED. Even with polishing the 55 watt bulbs don't cut it for me.

They tell me a bulb with higher wattage is not possible due to xtra heat generated I'm tired of having a Volkswagen Westfalia light up the road 2 dots further in front of me than mine. It seems I am looking past where my current lights are projecting.

When I had my old Dodge 4x4 in the last Millenium, I switched out the bulbs to 100w blue offroads then re-aimed the headlights down and toward the curb so as not to blind oncoming traffic. Seemed to work ok then the truck sold but it did burn out a module as I recall.

Some may say, don't drive in the dark, but when you live in Victoria or Calgary and are making a 3300 mile bolt for Tampa in Winter, weather plays a big roll. Even more when on the West Coast with the Rockies in the way. So you pick a weather window and go. 200 - 300 miles a day may not be enough so generally I put on b/w 450 and 600 a day. Tanking up every second day around 2pm when it is the warmest.

Having decent nite lighting is ahead of some of the other gadgets I want.

I looked around the Resource guide but didn't find anything.

Thanks

I bought new lenses to replace the clouded ones and then added NAPA Street Glow bulbs. Did not need any other mods and lights are considerably better.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Thanks Mark but that isn't the site I read before. The other site didn't require the adapter plate be made as I recall. The individual showing the installation was the designer of the system which did have a ballast. As I recall he installed one side but not the other to show the difference. I wanted to know if any members had done the switch and what they thought of the change.

Was it good value?

Was the difference that noticeable?

I will try to hunt it down.

A gentleman was selling a kit at the HDT Rally. I thought they were in the $900 range. I went to Mark's suggested site and see that you can now pre-order the kit for 1st Gen Volvos. At $1100.00 I suspect that I won't be getting any. I would however, after spending the $1100.00, tell you that it's the best money I ever spent.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

This topic has been brought up earlier this year. Volvo HID headlights. Gregg Shields did a demo. But I seem to recall a gent called Dixon the designer doing an installation and I'm sure he mentioned $500.

High beam doesn't get used much, I am primarily wanting to light further down the road brighter so as not to be looking beyond where the road is lit.

Winter driving...gets light later and dark sooner. Dusk and dawn are the worst times.

Hi Roger,

I think I have what you're looking for...for a gen 2, here's the link: http://deepspacelighting.com/shop/2004-2014-volvo-vnlvtvnx-bi-xenon-hid-headlamp-kit-v2-0/

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Very nice web site Dave.

We are most excited and hopeful having talked to you and seeing your work is in progress for the T2000.

Hope this becomes available soon, as the original equipment is expensive and less capable. I really like

the idea that these will be Nuke-powered. :)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

What is the wattage of the bulbs? What was the overall cost. I've already polished the lenses.

Oh man, now you are taxing my memory! This was right after I bought the Volvo - ten years ago. Did a lot of overnight driving in those days.

I think the new headlight assemblies came from GATR the were not outrageously costly, maybe less than $200 each. The Street Glow bulbs are not high wattage, around $30 a pair. I have them in the smart as well. Noticeable improvement over standard bulbs.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Roger

I have David's kit in my gen 2 Volvo. I still use my truck for work and I leave at 3am. and I think the kit is worth every penny. The lighting is far superior to the factory set up. Maybe the LED's would be better but I'm not buying a new truck to get them.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Roger,

There is no need to shop any further. Don't hesitate to get the lights from David. I have installed many of these, and they are fantastic. I buy a set for every one of the Vovo Gen 2 trucks I customize for my customers. I would never consider them "optional". They are a safety requirement in my opinion. David recorded a new installation video a few months ago: http://youtu.be/beF8ShmNlo4

Gregg and Kerry Shields

www.RVHaulers.ca

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

'Pull Your Trailer, Don't Let your Trailer Pull You!'

Roger,

I'm sure if you talk to Gregg at RV haulers he can get you setup with the lights in Calgary. I believe he stocks them. I am waiting to see if the Volvo dealer comes through with the Volvo LED lights that was in the deal when I bought my truck. If they do not follow up on their end of the deal I will get Gregg to put in the Dickson lights.

A gentleman was selling a kit at the HDT Rally. I thought they were in the $900 range. I went to Mark's suggested site and see that you can now pre-order the kit for 1st Gen Volvos. At $1100.00 I suspect that I won't be getting any. I would however, after spending the $1100.00, tell you that it's the best money I ever spent.

Todd

So Todd,

Did you buy the new lights from David and if so how do you like them?

Did you get the driving/turnsignal light or delete that?

I have a set on order, and hoping to get them soon.

Off topic, I still haven't done anymore to my dash, I do think I will order a complete new one when the ship comes in.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger

Sorry if I led you to believe that I made that purchase, too many other things to spend my retirement money on. I was just saying that if I had spent the $1100, I would have to say to you guys it was money well spent, just like I would have been telling my wife. I'm sure your going to love them & I have reason to believe that the price is justified. Happy Holidays

Todd E.

Dash Issues--Probably a wise decision to go with the complete dash. This piece meal approach that I've subjected myself to will probably get me above the cost of doing it your way.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

As Gregg said, David's lights are well worth the money. Yes, it is more than higher-powered replacement bulbs. But I can tell you from experience the replacement bulb route does not give you significantly better visibility at night. Davids replacement makes a WORLD of difference. As Gregg said, it is a safety issue. The stock lights should be outlawed, IMO. The first time you drive in the dark you "should" be fearful of your life.....because the stock lights are just about like driving without ANY lights. Especially if your covers need buffing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Roger,

The factory LED lights are very expensive here and were not that much when ordered with a new truck. About half the price. The factory LED's are so far ahead of stock lights it isn't even in the same game. The reason I would go with the LED's is because it is a new truck with factory warranty and would like to keep it that way for the duration of the warranty. I saw these on ebay and was wondering if they would make a difference? Here is a link to the people that make the lights for Volvo. When I first picked up my truck and drove it home at night in the rain I couldn't believe how bad the stock lights are.

Hi Roger,

I think I have what you're looking for...for a gen 2, here's the link: http://deepspacelighting.com/shop/2004-2014-volvo-vnlvtvnx-bi-xenon-hid-headlamp-kit-v2-0/

David

I have these lights and it is well worth the money and time to install them. If I had done this before I would not have gone to the effort of installing the Volvo driving and fog lights.

This upgrade has made night driving a pleasure and added a level of safety that is otherwise only available on factory LED lights

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I saw these on ebay and was wondering if they would make a difference?

Better? Sort of, but I'd stay away from them. If you look at their comparison shot, you can easily see that the beam pattern is thrown way off. And there's a ton of light above the cutoff--that's glare in the eyes of an oncoming driver. Further, it's not legal to sell a bulb with a base and electrical connector matching a headlight bulb that doesn't match the specifications in part 564, which includes wattage, light output, filament location, etc. Their claim that it won't give you any LCM faults is probably correct for 2004-2008 trucks, but at only 24W you will get a fault on the '09 and newer models.

I've had a number of customers that have tossed LED setups like these. I've also had a couple WAAAY up north that have moved away from the factory LED setup, but not really because of light output--evidently in freezing fog and heavy snow there's not enough heat to keep them clear. As an RVer though, if you're that far north in winter, you're not doing it right!

Jack, Gregg, Nigel and everyone else: Thanks for the comments!!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I want to be able to see further or farther down the road on low beam. As near as I can figure my lights light up 2 dots down the road. Seeing as a lot of my driving is at night I need more.

Jack you will see that lights were put ahead of other gadgets. So I get the safety issue and agree.

Dreamer, you didn't mislead me at all.

After looking at some videos it is difficult to count the lit dots ahead of the truck as I couldn't pause the video. It's kinda like opening up the fridge door real fast to see if the light turns off after you close it.

I first asked about replacement bulbs but as mentioned earlier, heat is an issue. The lenses have been polished but lighting is still poor. Seems a shame Volvo puts together such a good truck and has such poor lighting.

Are the bulbs available in blue? White is not the best in snow.

If Gregg stocks them, when the time comes, I will get a pair.

Is there adjustment for up/down and left/ right in or on the housings?

Nuke, in Ft Mac at Xmas it gets light around 9:15 am and dark after 2 pm. people staying in trailers up there have the whole thing wrapped in bubble foil or pink Styrofoam as well as having a 350 lb propane tank.

Roger, if you can light up two dots down the road you are doing better than me. I SWEAR I can barely tell the difference between no lights and low beam. REALLY. :( And my housings are polished.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have these lights and it is well worth the money and time to install them. If I had done this before I would not have gone to the effort of installing the Volvo driving and fog lights.

This upgrade has made night driving a pleasure and added a level of safety that is otherwise only available on factory LED lights

I will second this comment

Daves lights are excellent and is now getting thumbs up on the truckers forum.

In fact one of the "pro's" stated the HIDs are better the the LEDs because they penetrate down the road farther.

A unscientific opinion but thats what he said.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived