Looking at class B, possibly C

71choptop

Hi, recently began looking at motorhomes in anticipation of retireing. Havn't been a good saver, like to spend to much, so used is the way to go for me. Have thought of newer and finance threw a dealership and go the 10 year route, unsure at this time.

Have been looking at predominately class B,Like a '88 Xplorer 230 xl, but it is small inside, possibly bidding on, '90 Airstream B190, from pictures it looks larger, over cab sleeping area helps that I quess and it has a lot more amenities than the Xplorer.

I like the B's for size/manuverability, driving anyway but not so much the interior size.

Will have to look at the C's also,would hate to get what I like as far as looks go and find it is to small come a year or to down the road.

Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I'm not sure just what comments you are looking for but I do suggest that you spend some time in research before you buy any RV as you will discover that the cost of a class C is not that different than for a class B and it would have much more living space. A major part of the issue is also how you plan to use the RV. The class B has the advantage of size which can be parked in most any parking space while the class C may not fit. But the small size also comes with a small interior. The physical size of the people who will stay in an RV is also very important to determining the minimum amount of space that will work for the occupants.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

At 6'2" tall Dave found a class B to not be quite tall enough for him. His hair would move when he walked under the air conditioner. In our class C he said the sun roof over the shower was the only thing that gave him enough room to wash his hair. We thought the swivel passenger seat would make a good recliner but the height of it was all wrong for me. Only you can decide how much room you need and the best way to decide that is to spend a few hours pretending to live in one you are considering buying, going through the motions of daily living. Take your time and enjoy the search.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

why not a class b+ they seem to be in the same price range. and you would have more room and storage space in a b+ than a class b. I love the class b motor homes there great for boon docking. but I would need an utility trailer to tug some stuff around :blink:. id'e look at 5th wheels or travel trailers since those seem to have more room in em also. depending on what models and how big they are. I would prefer a 5th wheel because if your truck broke down you won't be homeless while your getting it fixed as in taking the hole thing to the shop. atleast with a 5th wheel or a travel trailer you can stay in the trailer while your trucks being worked on!! even though there's so many scenarios to that situation to

The small rigs have there advantages easy parking, mpg, and "stealth camping", ie. hospital parking lots when the wife was sick,,disadvanges you have able to live in close quarters with your partner, and travel winth very little "stuff" it is not for everyone. Google "campskunk" he travels with a wife and a cat in a Roadtrek. We have a Toyhauler and a Roadtrek and at this point in our life the Roadtrek gets used more often.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

• 2 weeks later...

The class B Airstream we have is only used for short trips. Roger doesn't even like it, but he is a big man. I will travel Maine visiting my friends and go kayaking. We do take it on short trips throughout New England and The Maritimes.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

• 4 weeks later...

The small rigs have there advantages easy parking, mpg, and "stealth camping", ie. hospital parking lots when the wife was sick,,disadvanges you have able to live in close quarters with your partner, and travel winth very little "stuff" it is not for everyone. Google "campskunk" he travels with a wife and a cat in a Roadtrek. We have a Toyhauler and a Roadtrek and at this point in our life the Roadtrek gets used more often.

I know most places have a 20 ft legal limit if you want to park on the streets. you would have to analyze how your going to use it. will you be stealth camping in parking lots on the sides of streets or boon docking do you plan on doing stealth camping?? you want to blend in and not stick out!! my whole plan was to go off the grid I don't know how many feel this way but it seems like there's a lot that do.

• 1 year later...

I've had two class B's and love them. Both Dodge Bubble Tops. I like that they are more like a car (in size and handling) then a motorhome. These are good for single person traveling although in our family it's been hubby and me with two good size dogs. Both have been my personal "car" rather than any traditional vehicle. We have done a lot of camping with it but it's always been in summer and we sometimes set up a tent outside and lay on the cots while the dogs run around inside off the leash. The only winter camping we did was coming from CA to CO the house we rented was so bad we got our money back but due to the housing crunch for reasonable rent it took us a month to find a place. It snowed the day before we found a place so we haven't had a lot of winter camping. Two dogs and Two adults did ok for that month but (1) weather permitted a lot of outside walks (2) hubby and I (and the dogs) all get along extremely well.

We bought our 1989 Dodge 350 Class B in 2007. We spent a LOT of time fixing mechanical things (and a lot of $$) but finally were able to start the restoration process for the inside/outside cosmetics. I had collected a lot of the materials and finally had time to use them).

The plan always was to fulltime travel when hubby retires (probably summer 2017). Then last year we got thrown for a loop when the drive to work everyday car died. It was not worth fixing. We forgot our long term plans and bought a new car with several years' payments. Afterwards we went, "that was dumb," but don't we all do those things in life when we realize our brain had a brain fart? So, I'm still using the camper for my car at the moment and we are trailer searching.

Which brings me to storage space. As we were looking at small trailers (our towing capacity is only 5,000 lbs. on the new car) we found we were hard pressed to find as much storage in the small trailers as we had in the Class B. We are on year 2 of searching and finally found some in the K-Z line. But as far as the Class B goes, we have 3 overheads above the bed, a large pantry storage, an overhead above the sink, another above the dinette, and a long one above the driver and passenger seat area. Plus the outside trunk bin and some under the dinette seats. There are also some cupboards below the sink. At least the comparison is making us take our time in selecting a trailer. Already we are glad we did not buy the trailer we thought about buying last year. We are also glad we did not buy the small toy hauler we were sure was the one this year. And, now that we think about it, since we will be full timers we will be staying in places a lot longer than we are used to and being able to disconnect the trailer and drive the car into town is appealing. If I were driving in downtown San Fransisco I'd rather have the Class B.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

A single man pulled in beside us in Las Vegas with an older Safari pulling a Wesfalia classB. He had a mountain bike and a kayak on the Westy. He called the Safari the mothership and would be gone for up to 2 weeks in the Westfalia. I thought that was a great way to travel. Didnt look like he had a whole lot invested but everything looked well maintained.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 3 months later...

I love my 1993 Chevy G30 Horizon high top class B Van. I already put 10k miles on it.

Rear Dinette makes large bed and always eat outside anyway.

Perfect amout of storage in cab over bed.

I am not going full time, however I believe if I did and followed the weather it would work great.

Not a good rig to be stuck in rain and winter, cabin fever problem. Traveled Oregon, Washington and Canada in this rig, loved it!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
7 hours ago, 71choptop said:

Old thread I started, sometimes takes me a while to do things, lol, but I picked up a '90 Airstream B190 Class b, very nice shape, 460, 78,000 miles. Should do everything I need it to do at this point in my life. Now just have to figure everything out!

Loos like a good floor plan. If you don't mind the angle to the TV. :)

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, 71choptop said:

Thanks Linda, no TV yet but not full timing it so "Don't need no stinkin tv".. lol

We took the TV out of our first Class B as we'd rather have the extra weight capacity. We simply never put one in the second Class B. We did watch movies/programs on our laptops, though.

Linda Sand

Archived