$1000 fine for fueling at the wrong pump

10ponies

They don't charge you extra, they just don't give you the discount available to the smaller vehicles which don't tear up the roads as much as the heavier vehicles do. If you think a Toyota and an 18 wheeler have the same effect on the road bed then I cannot argue with you. However, if you understand the difference you can understand the logic that AZ is using.

I did not check all places in TX so sorry if a city I knew was close to NM and AZ along my travel route was a bad choice but if you are going the other way, try to find "cheap" diesel in CA, NV or the NW in general.

Where I would stand firmly (if it was even an option) was boycotting the price of liquor in the NW! The same 1.75L bottle of Jim Beam I buy in AZ for $19.99 costs $30+ in the NW and about $40 in Montana! That's why I buy many cases (yes, cases) of Bourbon before leaving AZ and hope it will last until I can find another State with similar reasonable liquor prices.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take your guys price (tax rate) for fuel and booze at any state in USA! :) Compared to what we pay up here in Canada. When I was in Vegas a couple of months and saw a 1.75 of rum for $14.99 on sale.....I had to stand back with a look on my face :huh: . I can buy 4 bottles here for the price I pay for one at home. Also, at least a dollar a gallon less for fuel.

I'll take your guys price (tax rate) for fuel and booze at any state in USA! :) Compared to what we pay up here in Canada. When I was in Vegas a couple of months and saw a 1.75 of rum for $14.99 on sale.....I had to stand back with a look on my face :huh: . I can buy 4 bottles here for the price I pay for one at home. Also, at least a dollar a gallon less for fuel.

We had a cheap box of wine over the limit on entry to Canada. The extra tax was more than we paid for the box. We let them confiscate it. The border officer said thanks he liked that kind of wine.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Not going to play the Canada/US thing but if you happen to be in one of the Sam's Club locations where they are discontinuing their Black Box Chardonnay, scarf it up. It's 1/2 price (less than $8 for 3 liters) and it's great wine. Hard to believe for a wine-in-a-box but that's what they said about 2 buck Chuck! We bought 10 boxes at the last Sam's and when we talked to another couple there they were concerned that we were going to take it all. In retrospect, we should have and now we are paying the penalty.

Here in Tucson it's not on clearance (dang!) but if you ever visit a Sam's Club and the price ends with a 1 ($7.51), this item is being discontinued and if you like it, buy it!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

I'm easily confused... :(

and I generally like to stay out of the way of commercial vehicles at work when using trucks stops / fuel stops etc. -

So in AZ an out of state private registered 2 axle truck-tractor towing a RV trailer (like RickS's rig) should fuel at the truck pump where the price is 8 cents (tax) higher than the "auto" pump?

And all 3 axle trucks/coaches should also fuel at the truck pumps, towing a trailer or not?

Thanks

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I believe the tax is applies to the vehicle being fueled and does not have anything to do with what that vehicle is towing. So, a 2 axle (even a dually) P/U pulling a multi-axle trailer would be allowed to fuel at the discounted rate. The fueled vehicle itself must have 3 axle or have a weight rating in excess of 26,000.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

Not true for Indiana. I live in Indiana. The OTR truck fuel price signage reflects the "tax-exempt" price(what you see from the highway) and is always lower than auto-fuel price, the auto-fuel island price includes all state and federal taxes.

Agreed....I have fueled both a commercial vehicle and my Volvo "RV" at the same truck fuel pump many times. The exempt price only applies if you provide the DOT numbers, which you don't have when you're non-commercial. If the exempt price is shown while you're pumping the fuel, the proper taxes are added when you go inside to pay the ticket. They also have one pump labeled "RV" with the smaller nozzle and the tax showing on the pricing. These pumps don't have "pay at the pump" available, and the pricing on their signs clearly state "Exempt". You pay the same price (non exempt) whether you're pumping into an RV or a passenger car. I suppose this may be confusing to some, but the only way you could get the exempt price would be by providing someone else's DOT numbers....illegal, and ill advised to try something like that.

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

Now that means that my F350 is rated for 30,000# GCWR with the trailer with an actual combined weight of between 27,000 and 28,000# is required to use only the truck pumps and be soaked for an additional $0.08 per gallon?

From what was posted earlier, that is not what the law says at all. It sounds like the state of AZ needs to read the law as written and educate their people.

In any case, next year we will take a different route and just bypass AZ.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Sounds screwy to me. If I pull up to a pump with a dually pickup not towing anything then I am not 3 axle and I am not 26,000# so I can legally buy the discounted fuel. However, if I hook up first and pull in to fuel I do not qualify? There's some truth in there somewhere but some lawyer is going to need to work it out!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

OK so I goggled St. George, UT to Nogales, AZ via Flagstaff to be 615 miles... so forth and back would be 1230 miles / 10 mpg = 123 gallons x 8 cents per gal = 9.84 bucks.

I think I'll quit thinking about this now.

Hafta remember to fuel at the right pumps though - sounds like AZ doesn't fool around with tax evasion. :huh:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Well 10ponies If you got a ticket with a motorhome the az dmv says motorhomes are exempt and they dont know of anyone getting a ticket . they said a over zellest person could of issued a ticket . So dont pay untill you call them !!!!!!!!!!

becknharry

Fulltimers Jan 2008

32ft Southwind 2005

Jeep Liberty 2006

That's unlikely not true. I have read the sticker and there is NO RV wavier option. 3 axles or 26,000# and you CANNOT use this fuel. That's what the sticker says and the sticker is quite clear. Again, I have taken the discount when offered but I have always known that I did not qualify. Someone is going to need to get someone to make a new sticker that says "RV exempt" or "including all RV's". Again, I believe that this was likely initially setup to reward owners of diesel powered cars and small trucks and everyone with a diesel vehicle believes they are somehow entitled to this discount as well.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

Just went out and looked at my scale slip I have, front 9300l bs rear 15300 lbs. Guess what I can insure for 26000 lbs and still have 1400 lbs to spare.

Fortunately as not commercial I do not require to insure for the CGVW only the GVW.

Guess I will change my insured weight to get closer to the actual weight and save the Arizona fuel issue. I regularly like to winter in AZ and get the discount fuel at Frys in Apache Junction.

Now if I could only remember how much fuel I had when I scaled, think it was with full tanks 250 gal <_<

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Diesel Fueling in Arizona

Arizona fuel-tax rates are different from what we may be used to while traveling throughout the United States. This fuel law has been on the books for several years. The law states:

The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18¢ per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.

• If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26¢ for each gallon.
    • A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.

I talked to the Revenue & Fuel Tax Administration Fuel Tax Manager in Phoenix, Az, and asked for the definition of the “passenger carrying vehicle” and he stated that would include a motor home. What this means is those who have a vehicle that has three or more axles or a declared gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001+ lbs are required to use the truck lanes and pay the higher fuel tax. The regular diesel tax is 18 cents. Filling the RV at the regular pumps will subject you to a citation with a steep fine. Arizona has a Fuel Tax Evasion Unit that monitors the filling of vehicles at fuel stations.

Escapees feel that this information should be sent out to all of the members that travel through Arizona.

I would like to thank all of the members who have sent in this information to Headquarters so that we could investigate this issue.

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

Diesel Fueling in Arizona

Arizona fuel-tax rates are different from what we may be used to while traveling throughout the United States. This fuel law has been on the books for several years. The law states:

The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18¢ per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.

• If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26¢ for each gallon.
    • A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.

I talked to the Revenue & Fuel Tax Administration Fuel Tax Manager in Phoenix, Az, and asked for the definition of the “passenger carrying vehicle” and he stated that would include a motor home. What this means is those who have a vehicle that has three or more axles or a declared gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001+ lbs are required to use the truck lanes and pay the higher fuel tax. The regular diesel tax is 18 cents. Filling the RV at the regular pumps will subject you to a citation with a steep fine. Arizona has a Fuel Tax Evasion Unit that monitors the filling of vehicles at fuel stations.

Escapees feel that this information should be sent out to all of the members that travel through Arizona.

I would like to thank all of the members who have sent in this information to Headquarters so that we could investigate this issue.

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

The interesting part about the above statement is the word "declared" since here in our province in Canada private passenger vehicles and motorhomes do not require us to declare weights since they are not being used for commercial use. If you are commercial weight has to be declared. So, with no declared weight what would the Fuel Tax Evasion Unit and judge have to say about that? There are thousands of snowbirds from Alberta every year that travel to AZ for the winter and probably never even considered where to fill up.

Rick, With no declared weight I'd bet you get the ticket and have to argue it with the judge, can you declare a weight or even just buy a handful of sticky vinyl numbers and make your own?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stan, only commercial vehicles declare weight and if I put on some hypothetical weight sticker transportation dept (DOT) guys would be wondering whats up when they looked at your registration that says motorhome on it. It is a grey area for me or for anyone from Alberta with a two axle vehicle (private passenger or motorhome) and no declared weight on my paperwork. I am just over 38,000 lbs GCVW and don't care about the fuel cost as much as I would care about being fined for filling up at a wrong pump. I really think that AZ should just take the RV'ers money and not scare them away or like me just make a note and fill my 300 gallons in another state on my way to enjoy the great winter weather. Some tax dollars for the state is better than none.

The Texas motorhome registration on my Volvo says 17,500. Is this the "declared weight"? There is no other weight listed anywhere, and since it is singled I only have two axles. I have been fueling at RV pumps in Arizona for the past several years with no issue.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

About as clear as mud. Sounds like it is left up to the enforcement folks to interpret it as they wish.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I guess a MH under 26000# towing a towed is considered 3 or more axels?

Depends on how many axles the MH has. The law is referring to the MOTOR vehicle, not the motor vehicle TOWING more axles.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Here's how Arizona law defines the gross weight issue:

"1. "Declared gross weight" means the gross weight in pounds ascribed to a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or vehicle combination by the applicant for registration."

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/05431.htm

And to further clarify it:

"2. "Declared gross weight" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28-5431. If a declaration has not been made, declared gross weight means gross weight."

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/05201.htm

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived