vinyl plank flooring and flush floor slide install question

lockmup68

putting in new vinyl plank flooring in the 5th wheel. The main slide is a flush fit slide (floor is flush with entire floor when out. How have folks installed new, non-carpet floors in this configuration. Can it remain flush? Or do I need to put a thin subfloor in the slide and have a little lip?

thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

FWIW when we had our Hitchhiker built we asked to eliminate as much carpet as possible. They said that in the slides they had to put carpet as there was no practical alternate way to cover the gap when the slides were extended. We also have flush slides and if you lift up the carpet flap there is a small gap that needs to be covered. Whether you could do it with a little cantilevered lip I can't say, but Hitchhiker wouldn't. I'd imagine that a thin bit of subfloor would be pretty fragile.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We couldn't find a solution that was workable when we did our 5th wheel some years ago. We chose to carefully remove he carpet, take it to a carpet shop and have new piece cut and bound and then reinstalled.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

My neighbor decided to put vinyl in the main floor front and carpet in the rear. They bought a carpet rug from Lowe's that was 12X8 and already bound all around for $79. We were able to cut the carpet down the middle and use one side for the 12' slide and the other piece for the 8' side. For the 12' piece at the rear end we had to add a dog ear piece which was cut out from left overs and we just used a couple of layers of duct tape on the back side to hold it in place. For the 8' piece on the rear dog ear, we left extra binding and glued the binding in place. It really looks good and they were able to buy a second carpet piece for the main floor with pieces left over to carpet the stairs.

Greg

Archived