Diesel Pusher MH Chassis Maintenance

Al F

Two or three times a year on this forum there are comments or discussions about the maintenance differences between gas MH’s and DP (Diesel Pusher) MH’s. Sometimes DP owners minimize the differences.

Here is a great article, in the current Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) magazine, detailing the maintenance required for most DP MH’s. While the thrust of the article is doing the maintenance yourself, the article goes into very good detail about the items and procedures required to complete the maintenance.

Having owned a DP MH and having done the maintenance myself, I consider the article very accurate.

I also found that the time, effort and expense of DP maintenance to be greater than Gas MH’s, even considering longer time intervals between performing the DP maintenance.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I also found that the time, effort and expense of DP maintenance to be greater than Gas MH’s, even considering longer time intervals between performing the DP maintenance.

I found that going from a Gas MH that got 6 MPG to a DP that gets 10 MPG over 12 years ago.

The extra fuel $$$ saveings pays for all the maintance that I do myself. :)

So oil changes, filters etc. are all free or much less for the DP.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just traded my '97 Fleetwood Discovery in after putting 100K on it for a 2006 Travel Supreme Select ISM/500HP. I could and did all my maintenance on the Big D, however I could easily slide underneath it because of the high ground clearance. No way with Sweet Rollin, no ground clearance, 10 gallons of engine & trans oil, compared to 4 gallons on the Big D!

I let Spartan Factory Service do the work in Charlotte, Mi.as we will be full timing this year.

Good Article, but of course anyone who bothered to read their Owners Manual already knew all of this. They would also know that some of the items listed are once every 3 or 5 yrs, not all service items are every year.

I do agree with the author that most of the routine service is easy to self perform. If you rely on a $100/hr mechanic to change every filter, your costs rise significantly, gas or diesel.

The question is not that diesel service costs a bit more; the question is should that couple hundred dollars a year difference in service costs, override all the other differing factors in making a choice of gas vs diesel MH. I've got several diesel vehicles and several gas vehicles; I wouldn't swap any of them from diesel to gas or vice versa, just because of service costs. Whether its my Harley, ATV, pickups, jeep, MH or HDT, they all fall in the range of $200 to $600 per yr average for all routine services (self performed). That doesn't include any break down repairs, modifications or tires, that all go into different accounts.

Jim

Family Motor Coaching Back Issues | February 2015 Chassis Checkup You are not signed in or your account is not linked to a membership.

If you already have an FMCA.com sign-in account, please sign in above, right.

If you would like to create an account, click create an account.

Need help? Contact the Webmaster at webmaster@fmca.com, (800) 543-3622 or (513) 474-3622.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived