Hotspot on Verizon's new Unlimited Plan

This was important enough to me that I thought a separate thread was warranted.

I have it in writing from Verizon that a MiFi device used on the new Unlimited plan will not be cut to 3G speeds after 10GB of data is used in one month. The possibility of being reduced after 22G does apply though, but only for that line.

This makes it worthwhile for me to switch over. I'll do a little more research but I think I will pull the switch after reading the fine print one more time.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

This was important enough to me that I thought a separate thread was warranted.

I have it in writing from Verizon that a MiFi device used on the new Unlimited plan will not be cut to 3G speeds after 10GB of data is used in one month. The possibility of being reduced after 22G does apply though, but only for that line.

This makes it worthwhile for me to switch over. I'll do a little more research but I think I will pull the switch after reading the fine print one more time.

John

Did you get that in an e-mail and from whom?

Is that the same for a phone doing tethering and going over the 10gb limit?

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

The phone hotspot is still limited to 10GB per moth. But if you have a MiFi device, like a Jetpack, that has its own phone line and it is not limited to the 10GB per month restriction. I got this with a chat I had withVZW, here is a transcript of part of the chat:

I understand that. But the question is, if you use a smartphone for a hotspot, data speeds get cut to 3G when you reach 10GB of data use for the remainder of the month. I was just wondering that since the MiFi has its own line and it is a dedicated access point that it may not be limited to 10GB of 4G speeds per month?
Verizon
That is correct, Only the phone hotspot will be reduced after 10gb the actual hotspot with its own line will not be.
You
I think I understand. So my JetPack Wifi, which is on its own line, can go over 10GB a month without being reduced to 3G. I may appear redundant, but this is important to me.
Verizon
Yes you are correct john, The Jetpack will not reduce after the 10gb, It may reduce after it gets to 22gb.
You
Perfect. Thank you for your help. Goodbye.

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Thanks for posting this. This subject is about the only one in dispute among Verizon employees on the various cellular forums. Some agree with what you were told, others say it is still limited to 10 gb.

Verizon is always ambiguous with some policies. I think it stems from just having so many plans and features out there which constantly change and are added to. This new unlimited plan is definitely confusing.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I switched to the unlimited plan but then switched back to my original plan because of this issue and others not as important. Just yesterday I spent an hour on the phone with a CSR that got guidance on this issue from someone "All Knowing." She said 10 gb unrestricted is all I'd get on my jetpack. I'm on hold right now to try and confirm your info. Do you get an email transcript of a chat session and if you do could you email it to me?

Just switched back to the unlimited plan. CSR read from new guidance that they were given about mifi/internet devices that they ONLY get 10gb of unrestricted 4g. It's not logical and maybe the reps I've spoken to are providing incorrect info. I'm hoping your chat rep is right or they see that a phone and a jetpack are both paying a $20 access fee and in fairness should be authorized a comparable amount of data.

This is a critically important point. I will switch from my 40 gig plan IF it gets "possibly" throttled after 22 gig. But only if that is true.

I don't know why this is so hard. Seems like a simple question to me. And the obvious answer is that it acts like a separate line, because it IS a separate line.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We will re-inquire with our Verizon PR contacts - but this is not the wording we were given on Monday.

We have also seen threads from Verizon CSRs chiming in on Reddit and such quoting from Infomanger that Jetpack/MiFi lines will indeed be subject to the 10GB high speed cap. We have however seen reports from customers testing this and reporting that they're getting full speeds after 10GB - which is adding confusion to the matter (it could just be the caps not being enforced yet.)

It's not uncommon for a lot of confusion to happen at the launch of a new plan. I would urge that no one drop a grandfathered in plan until the details are firmly known. You can always switch to the new plan, but you can't go back.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

This is a critically important point. I will switch from my 40 gig plan IF it gets "possibly" throttled after 22 gig. But only if that is true.

Even if the best case is true, Jack, that "possibility" will increase with time as increasing numbers of people use more and more data.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Even if the best case is true, Jack, that "possibility" will increase with time as increasing numbers of people use more and more data.

Yes, that is true. But my present 40 gig plan is "overrun" almost every month. And it is double data so I cannot change plans or lose the 20x2 data. With three devices I'd have 22 (hotspot)+10(phones)x2=42 of possible full speed hotspot data. That would be far better than I have now, even considering that not all the phone data would be available for hotspot (we do use data on our phones). Yes, it is inconvenient to run the phone as a hotspot. But I would be no worse off on full-speed data, and far better off on the total bill.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Your employee discount doesn't apply to the new Verizon Plan Unlimited option.... In my case 20%.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Would a large tablet work as a laptop replacement? That would solve the hotspot issues. For us anyway

Depends on what you use your laptop for. For *me,* a tablet wouldn't work because I have to have Quicken on a computer, which can't be put on an android device (or an iPad). Other than that, I suppose I could do most everything else on a tablet...but I like having a *real* keyboard to type on rather than a virtual one.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Again I will stipulate that I opened a Business account with Verizon on Monday using their new Unlimited Data Plan. The first line attached to this account was the MIFI 6620 that I got from OmniLynx and they just swapped out SIM Card. I then transferred one Iphone 5S from Andi's Personal Plan thus not having to pay for a new phone. They then applied 15% military discount and I just got my first invoice for $112.37 today due on March 13. I have spoke with reps from both the store and Business Line support and was told the following by both...

I have 22GB per line unrestricted high speed and 10GB hotspot high speed on the IPhone using the PHONE as the hotspot. For the MIFI Jetpack 6620, I have 22GB of high speed data and can be throttled after using that 22GB to 3G Speed. I haven't used 10GB on any device as of the time I am writing this.

Again this is a Business Line and I had to bring in all my paperwork for my business such as EIN and Articles of Incorporation and so forth.

I am holding on to my business account with T Mobile with one line on it for the unlimited plan as well just until I find out which is more beneficial. At this point though, it does look like Verizon will be best for me and a little cheaper. AS I use data, I will update if they start throttling me.

My question is this, I have never used 3g speed to stream netflix shows. Even with 3g speed is it possible to continue watching Netflix even if it does "Buffer" at times during a show??

Thanks

Alan

Alan & Andi

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4x4

2012 Toyota Camry ( Andi's follow car)

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ( Business Truck)

2009 Wilderness Travel Trailer

Transcript from my recent Chat with VZ about this topic.

Verizon

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless Chat Team regarding your account. How can we help you today?

You

The new unlimited plan.

You

i have two iPhones and MiFi. I notice a 10 gig limit for hot spot use per month. Is that 10 gig for each of the three devices(30 gig/month) or 10 gig total.

You

maybe this is clearer. Three lines total. Two phones. One MiFi. The hot spot limit i is 10g/month before I lose 4G. Is this 10g limit per each line, or 10g for the entire account? Can I hot spot on one phone for 10g, then on another for 10g then on the MiFi for 10g without losing the 4g speed?

Verizon

Thank you for your patience! My name is Angela! I can definitely see about if it is 10GB per line or the whole account. With whom do I have the pleasure of chatting with?

You

Ed

Verizon

Thank you Ed!

Verizon

Just a few moments!

Verizon

Thank you for your patience!

You

OK

Verizon

I looked into this for you and it is when the first 10GB is reached on the account not per line!

That, for me, is a deal killer.

Ed

Yes, that is true. But my present 40 gig plan is "overrun" almost every month. And it is double data so I cannot change plans or lose the 20x2 data. With three devices I'd have 22 (hotspot)+10(phones)x2=42 of possible full speed hotspot data. That would be far better than I have now, even considering that not all the phone data would be available for hotspot (we do use data on our phones). Yes, it is inconvenient to run the phone as a hotspot. But I would be no worse off on full-speed data, and far better off on the total bill.

I'm going to sit on my 50 GB "New Verizon Plan" and wait a bit to see how this all shakes out.

FYI - I talked with a Verizon phone rep and I can still get more or less data under my "New Verizon Plan":

2 GB = $35/mo ("S" plan)

4 GB = $50/mo ("M" plan)

8 GB = $70/mo ("L" plan)

12 GB = $80/mo

16 GB = $90/mo ("XL" plan)

24 GB = $110/mo ("XXL" plan)

30 GB = $135/mo

40 GB = $180/mo

50 GB = $225/mo

60 GB = $270/mo

80 GB = $360/mo

100 GB = $450/mo

Also, the rep indicated that if I signed up for the Verizon "unlimited" plan and I didn't like it, I could go back to my old "New Verizon Plan".

Sounds good, but I'll still wait.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Seems like folks get different stories from Verizon reps... I will wait till it sorts out.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Depends on what you use your laptop for. For *me,* a tablet wouldn't work because I have to have Quicken on a computer, which can't be put on an android device (or an iPad). Other than that, I suppose I could do most everything else on a tablet...but I like having a *real* keyboard to type on rather than a virtual one.

They have windows tabs also

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Your employee discount doesn't apply to the new Verizon Plan Unlimited option.... In my case 20%.

Howdy!

I was told at a Verizon store that the veterans discount does apply to the new data plan. considering dropping my old unlimited 3G MiFi for the new data plan. Only problem is they will now let you do a MiFi hotstop only, the plan has to have a phone also.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

For me seems the more articles and/or Rep's that you read/chat with just make it more confusing . Seems Verizon changing plan's an/or options almost by the month. Ed good article. Ya almost have to get something in writing from the rep so wont get the screwed effect. But with that said. If proven it's wrong what recourse do ya really have to go back to what ya had previous if you choose to upgrade to a newer plan.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Howdy!

I was told at a AT&T store that the veterans discount does apply to the new data plan. considering dropping my old unlimited 3G MiFi for the new data plan. Only problem is they will now let you do a MiFi hotstop only, the plan has to have a phone also.

ill everyone is on the same page.

And we were told it did not so we will wait till everyone is one the same page.

Archived