Route 60 advice Socorro to Roosevelt AZ

charlyhors

We're travelling from Socorro NM to Roosevelt Az. Much of this is on scenic Route 60. We will do it in 2 easy days vs 1, due to our laziness, and our cat's requirements to continue to live with us.

I was wanting advice on whether to approach Roosevelt from the north - 260 to 188 on my map. Or whether it would be best from the south, following 60 to Globe, and then up 88 to Roosevelt, on my map. Also we'll be looking for a place to overnight on that route, if anyone has advice. Thanks, Charles and Jean

Socorro via 60/188 to Globe is 318 miles. From Show Low, AZ you'll have the Salt River Canyon and a long descent then a long uphill. We've done it often with our 40' motorhome and many RVers do it as it's a popular route.

Socorro via 60/260 to Payson then 87 south to 188 is 334 miles. From Payson you will also have a descent. This way is probably a little easier but both are just fine.

Parks and national forest campgrounds along the way are getting ready to close for the season but Casa Malpais RV in Springerville, AZ is open year-round and it's o.k. for a one-night stop.

Venture In which is in Show Low, AZ will close sometime in October. You'll have to call to confirm.

It's a scenic drive whichever way you go. At Roosevelt Lake, Cholla or Windy Hill national forest campgrounds are very nice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived