Interesting Dash Cam

Big5er

There is no fee. GPS receivers like Garmin GPS's charge for their maps and updates but there are no fees to access the GPS satelites, which are free.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Russia has the right idea, put in cameras and stop the scammers keeping insurance rates reasonable. Sure beats the US method of paying off the scammers and jacking our insurance rates and insurance company profits.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Cool. Thanks. It gives us great incentive to toss our existing gps...I do want a camera.

On an aside, I was told that you had to have a dash cam to get auto ins in Russia...

This isn't a GPS. It's a camera that uses gps signals to support your need for the camera. If nothing ever happens you don't need the camera, but if something does it's nice to have the info from the gps aided camera showing your location and speed.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Got mine this weekend from Bj's online. Put it in the car and will see how it works. Would like to mount it on the motorcycle but would need to get more power than the single power outlet I have now. It doesn't say how water resistant they are. Used a NUVI for a long time on the bike and didn't have any problems with it. Would toss it in a water proof compartment if it was pouring down rain but if it was just a drizzle left it where it was.

Rod

While driving the HDT to Cummins a dumb a$$ in the left lane just about took the front end off trying to take a exit 4 lanes to his right, he did make it and I still don't know how.

Came home and ordered one from Amazon, will be here today and will not drive without it in my HDT or company pickup, just for my protection.

Dr. Peppers are on my Phil at the Hutch rally..

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I'm likely to get a dash cam one of these days. I'm hesitant to have it record my speed though. Even though I don't exceed the speed limit very often. In MN if you exceed the speed limit you lose your right of way. So, say you are driving 33 mph in a 30 zone and a car pulls out in front of you and you collide. Dash cam without speed storage would work pretty well to show that other vehicle at fault. I would prefer it didn't show anybody I was going 33 mph. Even considering that the speed data wouldn't have any basis to be used in court such as charging me with speeding or something. The speed data hasn't been tested and approved for court use as far as I know. I just don't think it would be of assistance. Now, if it showed me going 25 mph in a 30 zone then I would like it. In the camper I'm far more likely to be below the posted limit than I am when driving my car. We all know the "flow of traffic" is usually 5-10 mph over the posted limit. Is there a way to not capture the speed with that Garmin unit?

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

I know it has a shock sensor to lock in from 2 minutes prior to the event. Is that time adjustable? Like 30 seconds prior seems plenty long to me. Is it easy to trigger the lock manually after an event? My work (when I was working that is) had a camera system with a large button that was easy to push when I wanted to store an event. Those buttons on the Garmin look kind of small and none appears labeled "start" or "store" of "record" so I'm wondering how easy it is to trigger? I think a large easy one button push is important. I would also want to make sure that the same button doesn't stop record. So, say the shock triggers record and I reflexively push the record button to make sure I lock in the event. I don't want doing that to stop the record you know?

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

www.dashcamtalk.com says that Garmin has "worse video quality than cheaper cameras." I guess if a guy like me doesn't want the speed then there would be no need to get one with gps.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Bob, get the G1W-c.with Novatek NT96650. inexpensive, put them everywhere.

BTW, the vehicle computer data and any video one might have can make quite a convincing argument in court.

If something really bad happens, more truth is usually better than less.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

What timing, Dave or Jenny. I just finished reading through the info on dashcams and went and bought one of the G1W-c's from a USA seller on ebay. I kind of like the idea of no battery. Should be here in a few days. Yes, I know event data recorders (edr's) in most newer vehicles will store a lot of info. But a lot of that info is not easy to retrieve. The manufacturers like to make it hard. I just don't like the idea of having a video showing me going a couple miles an hour over the posted limit. If the accident is serious enough the law will certainly reconstruct and seize the edr data. But the vast majority of accidents won't get to that level.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Bob, I have tried everything, it just seems that my camera doesn't work when things are my fault. dang it.

If they look real hard the same place the Nixon tapes are, they might find them.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

No one says you have to divulge that you have a tape or a camera. There are people every where that film crimes and the police see the video first on YouTube. Also, down here we can not use GPS as THE speed indicator. Our DA's will not accept GPS alone. As a secondary confirmation, yes, but not as THE source.

GPS is not instant. Nor can your gps device be checked for accuracy. 33 in a 30 isn't squat. I was watching the gps recorder in my county truck as I came out from under an overpass. It instantly jumped from 67 to 92 and back in 3 seconds yet the recorder showed no vehicle braking. But I still had to explain how the camera came on automatically at 85 MPH. My explanation, in the little box, was "No f'ing idea. POS equipment malfunction". My sergeant told me not to use that reason again. He said "system error" would suffice.

www.dashcamtalk.com says that Garmin has "worse video quality than cheaper cameras."

CNET says "Video quality is good and detailed".

and this review says "Image Quality 8/10" so I guess it is all a matter of the reviewer??

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm likely to get a dash cam one of these days. I'm hesitant to have it record my speed though. Even though I don't exceed the speed limit very often. In MN if you exceed the speed limit you lose your right of way. So, say you are driving 33 mph in a 30 zone and a car pulls out in front of you and you collide. Dash cam without speed storage would work pretty well to show that other vehicle at fault. I would prefer it didn't show anybody I was going 33 mph. Even considering that the speed data wouldn't have any basis to be used in court such as charging me with speeding or something. The speed data hasn't been tested and approved for court use as far as I know. I just don't think it would be of assistance. Now, if it showed me going 25 mph in a 30 zone then I would like it. In the camper I'm far more likely to be below the posted limit than I am when driving my car. We all know the "flow of traffic" is usually 5-10 mph over the posted limit. Is there a way to not capture the speed with that Garmin unit?

Several of the cheap Chinese Dash Cams with GPS store the GPS data in a separate file. Their special software combines the files at playback. You could always delete the GPS data file and keep only the video.

Your onboard vehicle computers store way more information than the manufacturers want to admit and the insurance companies and LEO's have first crack at downloading the info at an accident scene especially if their is a fatality. The information is supposedly used to reconstruct the event in the interest of improving safety, not to place blame, liability or help with litigation.

On the railroad, management does grab vehicle logs after just about every accident, train or highway.

The foolish worker that fibs about what happened in an incident gets poo poo doo doo. You can't believe how

much is recorded already and that added to the GPS info that is recorded remotely paints quite the picture..

Most often the driver is shown not at fault and only receives punishment for being

at the wrong place at the wrong time. The nice one is when you drift into a lower speed zone too fast, it sends

a message to the supervision who calls the driver with 50 questions and explains this will not happen again.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

Your onboard vehicle computers store way more information than the manufacturers want to admit and the insurance companies and LEO's have first crack at downloading the info at an accident scene especially if their is a fatality. The information is supposedly used to reconstruct the event in the interest of improving safety, not to place blame, liability or help with litigation.

HDT's actually store less accident type data than vehicles, but it is still there. Detroit and Mercedes engine ECMs record daily engine usage (hard to fib on that log book) which most others do not, along with the other data, .

To the best of my knowledge there are only two places in the U.S. capable of doing a forensic download on a Volvo ECM, one in CA and the other in NC. To preserve the evidence in a Volvo ECM, it is recommended that it be professionally removed, properly packaged and shipped to one of them. This is all at the expense of the investigating agency. You are gonna have to have run over a school bus full of handicapped, orphaned grade schoolers for this to happen. There are too many easier and cheaper ways to reach the same conclusion, unless you are on TV where the CSI guys all drive Hummers and look like these people:

csi_miami_foto_14.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

. . . unless you are on TV where the CSI guys all drive Hummers and look like these people:

What are you saying, Phil? Hell, at least you're almost, sort of, kind of as handsome as the bald guy on the left -- or would be, if you wore a suit and tie to work.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Hey Phil, have you had your glasses checked lately?

I'm WAY better looking than that guy :D

2014 smart Fortwo

I never said you have to turn over camera data. And I never said GPS was accepted by the courts (or a cop sitting in his squad at the accident scene) for speed proof. I think somebody should re-read my earlier posts. Thank you.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

I know it has a shock sensor to lock in from 2 minutes prior to the event. Is that time adjustable? Like 30 seconds prior seems plenty long to me. Is it easy to trigger the lock manually after an event? My work (when I was working that is) had a camera system with a large button that was easy to push when I wanted to store an event. Those buttons on the Garmin look kind of small and none appears labeled "start" or "store" of "record" so I'm wondering how easy it is to trigger? I think a large easy one button push is important. I would also want to make sure that the same button doesn't stop record. So, say the shock triggers record and I reflexively push the record button to make sure I lock in the event. I don't want doing that to stop the record you know?

Bob,

I have a couple of camera/recorders I picked up on EBay for like $25/ea with free shipping. I think I have more invested in the data card than the camera. Too cold outside to check on the brand!

With the 32Mb cards I put in them they will record several hours before looping and recording over previous files. I have it set so that it starts a new file every 15min. You can set the interval of when I new file is started. Each file is named with a time stamp so it is very easy to narrow down which file(s) you need assuming you know at what time the incident you are looking for happened. I also have the sound turned off. In the event something does go wrong and the camera captures it I think it is best that what ever I say in the heat of the moment is not herd again .....

Another option is your backup camera (if you have one) system. Mine died this past season so I have been looking for a replacement. I was looking at one that included multiple inputs that also has a recording feature. In my case I would be able to continue to use the same cameras just change the controller/monitor (which is what died on my current system). Then I would only need to add a camera mounted facing the front of the truck. I might even add a turn/side mounted camera so if the fool is coming up from behind you, you would also have that recorded too. Of course this system complete was like 2x the cost of the Garmin but it is an option .....

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived