Educate me on Smart Car's.

mr. cob

Dave,

I hauled our Smart Car in the TH this past summer but wasn't comfortable using the tow hooks as tie down so I installed L-track on the floor and used over the tire straps on each tire. This worked very well and the car didn't move at all. This also leaves the car suspension unloaded to move as it would going down the road. I also have tie down points that work great of the motorbikes. The car will be strapped down on the truck bed when it finally completed.

• 2 months later...

Dave,

If you haven't bought one yet I have an '08 Passion loaded with options and about $18,000+ invested (without taxes and tags) and that includes about $3,500 in added options. It has 11,800 miles on it and has been indoors since I bought it. Open the door and the leather still smells new. Not giving it away and currently asking $9,500. barnstormer36 at g mail dot com. And yes I have it advertised here, but looing to help answer this thread.

Dave,

If you haven't bought one yet I have an '08 Passion loaded with options and about $18,000+ invested (without taxes and tags) and that includes about $3,500 in added options. It has 11,800 miles on it and has been indoors since I bought it. Open the door and the leather still smells new. Not giving it away and currently asking $9,500. barnstormer36 at g mail dot com. And yes I have it advertised here, but looing to help answer this thread.

Howdy Russ,

Going to the rigs and toads for sale forum now. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

AS I stated earlier we leased , we did this because we save more than that by not driving the truck daily, even with the lower cost of diesel.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

I load my Smart in the toy hauler and tie down from the front and rear suspension. I catch the front by the pierced slot holes in the lower arm tied rearward to the middle row of hooks in the TH floor. I catch the back end in the rear tube, tied forward to the middle row of hooks in the TH floor. I've found that 4 straps are needed. The rear end will bounce sideways.

0921141456_zpsoojglvrg.jpg

Smart%20Tie%20Down_zps28cuzkwb.jpg

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

I was planning a TH with a Smart & 2 kayaks. After seeing these pictures, it appears its not going to work. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for this discussion.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

CWILL925

Try crossing your straps when you tie down. Should stop any sideways creep.

" Life should Not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,

WOW what a Ride ! "

Howdy!

I have a Cyclone 4000 TH and load our Samrt Car in to it without problems. I use the factory tie downs in the TH flooring. I use ratchet straps tnrough the front and rear tires and never had any movement. I do use a pice of leather between the strap and wheel to keepmit from being cut from any movement (lesson learned). Once the Smart is loaded we have plenty of room to move totally around the car inside the TH area.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy All,

You folks that are carrying your Smart Car, in a toy hauler do you use any type of ramp extension or do you park your rig so that the rear of the trailer is lower thus decreasing the ramp angle? A fellow who lives close to me brought his Smart Car over and when we tried to load it into my toy hauler the front tries of the car just touched the end of the ramp at the same time the bottom of the front bumper on the car was about to hit the ramp.

The 3818 Voltage toy hauler's garage floor sits at least a foot higher off the ground then did the garage floor of my old Weekend Warrior toy hauler. I really want to get a Smart Car to carry along for those times when the weather conditions make using one of the bikes or the sidecar uncomfortable but short of parking so the rear of the trailer is much lower then when the trailer is level or carrying ramps to lessen the approach angle I don't see where it is practical to carry a Smart in my trailer.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have a Raptor TH and load my Smart into. I use 2 12" 2x4 blocks in front of the ramp, this lifts the front of the Smart just enough to clear, works for me.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

I have a Raptor TH and load my Smart into. I use 2 12" 2x4 blocks in front of the ramp, this lifts the front of the Smart just enough to clear, works for me.

Same here. The ramps from the truck deck are fairly steep, my '05 smart cleared fine, but the front valence on the '11 is a bit deeper and hit the ground. I just made a pair of small auxiliary ramps from a couple of piece of 2 X 12. They store inside the folded ramps and work great.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I don't do anything special to the ramp or trailer angle to load the Smart in the Raptor. I do have the TH hooked to the truck to avoid stressing the landing gear. When the car goes over the high point you have to hit the brakes pretty quick. The inertia of the car stopping can push the trailer forward.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Howdy All,

I'll have to get a hold of the fellow who came over with his Smart and give it another try using some of the tips you folks have written about. Thanks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy!

We been places where the ramp is steep some things and have never had a problem. Once it was so steep that when my wife backed it out the brakes did not even hold and the Smart slid down the ramp. I did raise the front of the Cyclone to load it after that before hooking up to. I use some rubber blocks I've cut up from horse stall mats (from Tractor Supply) to level out the ramp when on unlevel ground some times.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy All,

I'll have to get a hold of the fellow who came over with his Smart and give it another try using some of the tips you folks have written about. Thanks.

Dave

Let me know when...I would be happy to stop by again...

Doug

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Let me know when...I would be happy to stop by again...

Doug

Howdy Doug,

I still have your phone number, one of these days when I have the trailer hooked up again I'll give you a holler. Thanks for your being my Smart loading test driver. ;)

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Doug,

I still have your phone number, one of these days when I have the trailer hooked up again I'll give you a holler. Thanks for your being my Smart loading test driver. ;)

Dave

My pleasure, Dave. Looking forward to it!

Doug

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Like others I load into toy hauler and tie it down with ratchet straps with tire bonnets on all 4 wheels. As of yet I have been lucky I guess have not hit a place where the ramp was to steep. I have had instances where side to side the ramp was not level and used one side of the levelers to tip it so it was level as i did not want to twist the ramp. I suppose if it is to steep have to move to a more level place to unload I just have not run into that problem. It was close once but turned out ok. I load with truck connected and the Smart gets loaded last after levelers are up unless I need to lift one side to level side to side. I unload first before truck leveling again unless need to level side to side.

Plenty of room on the sides unless I don't get it centered but even then usually enough room. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived