New Breed of HDT, Nikola One livestream TONIGHT

Sculptor

The article is skeptical, and the promises huge, but this new truck has been talked about for some time now. Up until December 1, 2016, we have only seen 3D renders of this vehicle. It sounds like the big unveiling is tonight. I assume this will be a rolling chassis not a functioning truck.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/we-finally-know-how-nikola-will-distribute-its-mysterio-1789561513

https://nikolamotor.com/

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Spin, I think you did. :P

So, I have to wonder whether it's a hydrogen fueled vihicle, or natural gas/electric. Both are stated in the article.

Am I correct that a looonggg time ago, a trucking company started building their own trucks? Freightliner comes to mind. Ryder might be in such a position now.

Sure, I'm in the doubter's camp, but it sure is interesting.

I can't imagine this could be accomplished without other trucking insiders knowing something........Scrap?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So, I have to wonder whether it's a hydrogen fueled vihicle, or natural gas/electric. Both are stated in the article.

It looks like they initially started with Natural gas/Electric with a CNG turbine, but then changed up and went to Hydrogen/Electric to be zero emmisions. Pretty good article. I was surprised they just started the company 2 years ago.

- http://www.ccjdigital.com/trevor-milton-wants-to-revolutionize-trucking-and-he-doesnt-care-if-you-dont-believe-him/

- https://nikolamotor.com/pdfs/December_1_Release.pdf

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Am I correct that a looonggg time ago, a trucking company started building their own trucks? Freightliner comes to mind. Ryder might be in such a position now.

Sure, I'm in the doubter's camp, but it sure is interesting.

I can't imagine this could be accomplished without other trucking insiders knowing something........Scrap?

Daimler makes Freightliner currently. They ar a client of ours.

For me, the doubt is mostly about the timeline to production. Tesla and others have made big claims in the past and found the dates to be elusive. (Illusive?). I wonder if the hydrogen cell infrastructure can be accomplished in this short time. Maybe Ryder has that responsibility?

I don't claim any knowledge of the new truck, I hope fore something really groundbreaking!

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Don't like the concept of lease only, at least not right now. Long video and didn't stream well for me. Lots of pauses. Will be interesting if we actually see them on the road soon.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Given the fact that the US trucking industry has ignored something as basic as disc brakes(less than 10% are currently ordered that way)for the 30+ years they have been available something as exotic as this has a tough sell in front of it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I wonder if they will make it in a single axle?

Could be a great RV hauler, but will miss the sound of the jake brake :D

I second that suggestion. With the 12 kw battery pack you could boondock almost anywhere. I could cover my 42 ft trailer with panels to recharge going down the road and maybe extend the the time before refilling with hydrogen to 2000 miles. The 5 to 7k a month for renting the truck just put's it way out of my pocket book range, despite the mileage range.

Rod

ps I'd even take it as a tandem, but not as a day cab. Ok, who am I kidding. If the only way I could get one was in the day cab configuration I'm sure I would break down my resistance.

rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

ps I'd even take it as a tandem, but not as a day cab. Ok, who am I kidding. If the only way I could get one was in the day cab configuration I'm sure I would break down my resistance.

rl

They showed a day cab concept that was borrowed from an existing truck. I don't know which one. Not very impressive looking but I for one am interested in the base technology anyway.

On the subject of singling; CEO Trevor mentioned 6 wheel steering. The truck has regenerative braking, the motors recharge the batteries when coasting or braking. (Not sure I have the terms right) I wonder what effect singling a truck would have? Or building it as a single.

I will be closely watching the next steps, I want to know where they will be built.

Oh yeah, I think the original plan is to sell the units coming off lease, but that offer of a million miles of free fuel makes me wonder what will be left at the end of the lease?

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Rick, all the truck makers are just barely getting over a $3 Billion european beating for insider "Cartel" stuff so things are pretty quiet these days. Of course this was all at the executive level but it all cascades down. So we got our agenda and they got their agenda and everybody knows passive agressive is the best way to be... ;)

That said, there is some serious $ available out there for development of hydrogen and other alternative fueled electrified vehicles. Like serious $ just begging for somebody to build development units. And they haven't been part of it. There are some very real benefits to not having your product plan tied up in Government grants & programs but it is a real undertaking to go it alone. So you've got to trust their plan some just from that alone. My four hydrogen trucks are a big pain in my azz right now and I can't even imagine doing it while tooling it all for production too. The things are 100KW, burn 20KW just to keep itself going, then puts out 100KW of heat that has to be cooled 10 C under ambient. Yea, like run your coolant lines through a radiator and then a refrigerator.... :rolleyes: It ain't easy, then add a whole new truck around it and it really ain't easy. But the only thing I can say for sure is if you see my signature change to SLC, UT you better put in your deposit! :lol:

It was Colsolidated Freight that rebuilt Fageols into their own trucks - in Salt Lake City actually. Then post war they needed a dealer network because it wasn't working alone so they sold as White COE's. Then it became Freigtliner in the 70's. That was all before I was born though so I'm not the best on that. Dinosaur times! :D

Scrap, I really like some of the things you said and the info. Seems like that heat could be put to good use too.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Archived