Getting truck serviced

Ronbo

I have an appointment at the Kenworth dealer to have it serviced tomorrow. I have always used Speedco but the dealer is closer and sounds like it may be cheaper. $90 per hour plus filters and oil. Says it should take 2 hours. Anything I should know about or ask prior? It is the dealer east of Sparks, Nv. I may also ask them to adjust the clutch how long should that take since it is only labor and no parts?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

You may want to ask what brand oil they are using to make sure they are using the "good stuff" and not an inexpensive oil that just meets spec.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

What is the "good stuff" when it comes to HDT oil changes? On my four wheelers I use Mobil1 full synthetic. What should I be using/asking for for my HDT? :-)

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

At a Cummins seminar, Cummins reps told us that Cummins recommends dinosaur based oil over synthetic. A Cummins service center confirmed that. They told me if I brought in full synthetic oil, they would install it but, they confirmed that, at the Cummins Mother Ship, standard "old fashioned oil is what was speced. RTM!

Most dealer mechanics will be looking for addition things to be worked on and I always encouraged it. Their eyes are better than mine. It is my head that determines whether the faults are needed to be fixed.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Since I part time and over the winter my truck doesn't run much, I change the oil and filters yearly prior to parking to get rid of as many corrosive chemicals and contaminants as possible. Since I don't run even 10,000 miles a year, I see no real benefit to the added expense of synthetic oil. Just my opinion.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I run synthetic because it has a better corrosion inhibitor package especially with our short trips as well as being better with regard to EGR temps and coking in the turbo bearings upon shut down. JMO

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

At a Cummins seminar, Cummins reps told us that Cummins recommends dinosaur based oil over synthetic. A Cummins service center confirmed that. They told me if I brought in full synthetic oil, they would install it but, they confirmed that, at the Cummins Mother Ship, standard "old fashioned oil is what was speced. RTM!

Cummins builds and sells motors and so do a lot of other companies and most of these companies don't push the synthetic oils. The so called dino oil will get the motor past warranty and will do just fine for the expected design motor life. The motor companies are not going to promote synthetic oils which might extend the motor life and therefore extend the replacement date of the motor. Synthetic oils do run a motor's oil cooler which means less friction and the end result is longer life. There are many other factors that affect motor life, but oil is a major one. I remember when multi-viscosity oils were introduced and they were controversial, which are now main stream, synthetic oils will go the same route.

Also, if the repair company finds a expensive repair, don't be afraid to get a second or even third quote. Belle Tire of Rochester Hills, MI. told my mother she needed a rack and pinion replaced in Sept for $500+. I checked it out and replaced a $20 leaking hose. Then she told me BT had replaced her ball joints and tie rods a month earlier which I had done just 11 months prior. Take the time and get another estimate on any major repairs.

Greg

Chevron Delo is the factory fill that came in the ISX in our Kenworth. I will change the oil yearly and always get the engine up to temp on a weekly trip.

Given the 56 quarts of oil that it holds, good old Dino oil should be fine as I doubt we will put more than 20,000 miles on the truck in a year and that is just about 2/3 of the mileage for the OCI.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I run synthetic because it has a better corrosion inhibitor package especially with our short trips as well as being better with regard to EGR temps and coking in the turbo bearings upon shut down. JMO

Good info. Thanks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

For someone that knows how it shouldn't take any more that fifteen minutes. That's if they really take their time.......

Actually the shop rate often includes TWO techs at the FULL shop rate since one tech is under the truck and the other tech is in the cab depressing the clutch to release the pressure plate allowing the tech under the truck to adjust the clutch.

Also the tech in the cab measures the clutch pedal free travel and calls out the needed adjustment to the tech under the truck.... here is the rub...IF shop time is allotted in one half hour segments PER tech the LEAST you will be charged for two techs will be charged for even Fifteen minutes will be .5 Hr X 2 techs= 1 hour. Shop time......

Wife runs the clutch while I adjust the clutch.....COST= (if you ask you can't afford....priceless)

Drive on.....(priceless....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

a piece of 2x4 wedged between clutch pedal and seat is my assistant ;-). I have the horrible hydro fork under clutch bell housing design and it still takes less than an hour - most of that time is getting the flywheel into the exact position required to be able to turn adjustment bolt.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Actually the shop rate often includes TWO techs at the FULL shop rate since one tech is under the truck and the other tech is in the cab depressing the clutch to release the pressure plate allowing the tech under the truck to adjust the clutch.

That may be true if you go in just for an adjustment, but if the truck is in for service anyhow, there shouldn't be an extra hour tacked on for the clutch. I can see a little bit of time for adjusting the clutch (maybe 1/2 hour total for both techs) but I would fight anything more than that.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

They acknowledged it is about a 15 minute job. They have a tech that is going on vacation tomorrow that will do the service. It is $90 per hour. Estimate is 2 hours plus oil and filters. I am supplying the fuel filter since they are out of the fleet guard fs1000. Then a mechanic will adjust the clutch. $118 per hour and only charge for the actual time on the truck, no minimum. Hopefully I found a good shop. The parts dept even had my fuel sending unit in stock. Knocked a lot off the price but still was not cheap. Required a new harnes too as the plug has changed.

Ron C.

Well the damages were $753. Most of that was parts. 2 1/2 hrs to change fluids and lube the chassis. Each differential took a gallon of oil. A fuel hose was rubbing on the frame so they placed a protector on it. I had a loud chirp that I suspected was the fan clutch. I had even priced them out while in Phoenix. They adjusted all the belts and no more noise. The clutch adjustment was at a rate of $118 per hour. They had a sign that said 1"hr minimum. They only charged me $70 for that. The clutch is much easier to push down now with my surgical leg. I wish it was like this from the first day of ownership. My leg won't get so tired in traffic now. I am happy with the job they did especially since I can't yet climb under there to grease the chassis. I want prepared for the price, but we had the money so I didn't squawk too much. I would go back if I needed repairs I wasn't able to do myself.

Ron C.

Well the damages were $753. Most of that was parts. 2 1/2 hrs to change fluids and lube the chassis. Each differential took a gallon of oil. A fuel hose was rubbing on the frame so they placed a protector on it. I had a loud chirp that I suspected was the fan clutch. I had even priced them out while in Phoenix. They adjusted all the belts and no more noise. The clutch adjustment was at a rate of $118 per hour. They had a sign that said 1"hr minimum. They only charged me $70 for that. The clutch is much easier to push down now with my surgical leg. I wish it was like this from the first day of ownership. My leg won't get so tired in traffic now. I am happy with the job they did especially since I can't yet climb under there to grease the chassis. I want prepared for the price, but we had the money so I didn't squawk too much. I would go back if I needed repairs I wasn't able to do myself.

Ron, glad you found QUALITY service.

I have been pretty busy and usually lazy so I have delayed adjusting the clutch forever and the previous owner of the Shaker had a bum left leg so he had the clutch engagement right at the very. Top of the pedal travel with very tiny free play. Like you have found, if the clutch is engaged at the Top of the pedal travel you lose much of the mechanical advantage inherent in the bell crank linkage so your trading very little pedal travel for much higher pedal pressure required.....not a good trade off.

A even better reason to adjust to the proper free pedal is that the linkage design allows for much smoother clutch engagement because the travel of the pressure plate is abled to be better controlled and feathered.

The better feathering of the clutch is really appreciated when backing up to hitch to a ball hitch since you really need to have precision control of the clutch to arrive exactly over the hitch ball with the hitch. The precise clutch control is nice even with a fifth hitch up but not as critical.

All in all the longer clutch pedal travel seems a good trade off against the small travel bit higher pressure method of clutch operation.

Clutch adjustment will make good geezer chat next time you are in town and we have dinner again..... Vegas will just be bored because they forgot the clutch pedal on his I-$hift......

Drive on.....(pedal free play...good)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

They guy who owned the farm next to mine was a lubrication engineer. he did all my oil analysis for years.His company had the wall mart contract for a number of years, designed oils for oil field applications etc. he thought synthetic oil for our kind of trucks was horse hockey (polite conversation). synthetic according to him only came into play when an application reached a temperature (of which I cant remember the number) where all our motors would be froze up. Just his professional opinion. he liked castor gtx. They ran walmart trucks to 130k in miles with constant testing and then backed of because it scared the s*** out of them, Of course the much different filters than we do and changed them at regular intervals.

His educated opinion, not necessarily mine.

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Archived