Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge Christmas Trip (Wildfires)

txdslshop

So, we have reservations in Pigeon Forge for Christmas and the wildfires are making me worry that maybe we should put this trip off for another year. Anyone live around that area and can tell me if we should cancel and reschedule for another year please? Thanks for any help. Jeremy

Ober Gatlinburg has burned to the ground along with a LOT of cabins and houses in that vicinity. The Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are under mandatory evacuation right now and Dollywood is threatened by the fire.

Don't know about you but I would keep my options open for anything in this area. Right now, the area around Chattanooga is an exceptional drought area (that is the highest rating and is way beyond extreme drought

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Ober Gatlinburg is reporting that their propetry is just fine on Twitter & FB. The Black Bear community was also reported to have lost every cabin early on, but now reports are coming out that may not be the case. I think right now there is too much unknown to exactly know the extent of the damage. I would say in the next week a lot more info should come out as people are allowed to return, but right now they are not allowing people to return.

I don't think Piegon Forge area was hit nearly like Gatlinburg, but what I'm reading that for the most part downtown Gatlingburg is still intact. There have been some structures that have burned of course though, but the entire downtown area wasn't destroyed. Ripley's Aquairum is reporting they are just fine along with all their animals.

This map is showing what is currently burned, but even most of it's information seems to be 3rd party and could still be wrong. - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1j7dJNKio1QPbslWy4PDNMsQkUes&ll=35.720802847929804%2C-83.51072550000004&z=14

I was just on a web page that had a more complete list of what was still intact, but I can't find it on the moment. I'll post it if I can find it.

Ober Gatlingburg FB page - https://www.facebook.com/obergatlinburg/posts/10153891117352721

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Here's the list I found earlier - http://www.wbir.com/news/local/gatlinburg-fires-whats-damaged-destroyed-and-intact/357891924

Posted as of 1:37pm on 11/29/16

• Alamo Steakhouse: Destroyed
  • Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts: All buildings except Hughes Hall and Wild Wing survived with little damage. (More info)
  • Black Bear Falls: TEMA reports it was destroyed, but numerous people have contacted us to tell us that is not the case. We are working to confirm that information.
  • Chalet Village: Suffered damage, but not destroyed
  • CLIMB Works: Intact
  • Cobbly Knob area: About 70 homes destroyed
  • Cupid's Chapel of Love: Destroyed
  • Dollywood: Several cabins damaged or destroyed. DreamMore resort not damaged. Dollywood park has some wind damage but no damage from fire. Park will be closed Wednesday. (More info)
  • Downtown Gatlinburg: Intact
  • Elkmont: Intact
  • Hillbilly Golf: Not Destroyed (updated at 2:40pm 11/29/16)
  • LeConte Lodge: Intact
  • Little Log Wedding Chapel: Intact
  • Mysterious Mansion: Destroyed
  • Ober Gatlinburg: Intact
  • Park Vista hotel: Intact (More info)
  • Parrot Mountain: Intact
  • Pi Beta Phi Elementary School: Intact
  • Ripley's Aquarium: Intact. Biologists at the aquarium confirm the animals are OK. (More info)
  • Wear's Valley area: About 70 homes destroyed
  • Westgate Resort: Damaged, but not destroyed

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

We live 30 miles away. Fires still burning so this is not over. Expecting rain tonight and tomorrow so should help. Where were you going to be staying? All roads into the Smokies are closed or limited at present. I'm sure, though, you will probably be okay for your trip in few weeks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It's been our experience that the fears of fires around parks/attractions spread like, well, wild fire. Last year we were headed for Big Bend NP when the fires broke out there. We were warned to just skip that area. When we got there, the damage was much less than the media had led us believe. Same thing when we went to Yellowstone, numerous times.

Remember, the news media's first job is to hype things up and build ratings. It's much more important to be dramatic, than to be accurate.

So, think of all the folks who will stay away, because it all went up in smoke. If you go, you'll have the place to your self.

$.02

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Will update as info from our local news becomes available. National news as Rick said sometimes paints an exaggerated picture.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Jeremy,

If you end up going to Pigeon Forge, it may be good that you have reservations. I recall looking for a place to make reservations in an area of TX that was not too far from an area that had experienced severe flooding. I was told that many campgrounds we could not get into in the area were being used by displaced residents until they could get their lives back in order.

You could look at it in another light. If the campgrounds in the area are filled up, and you forfeit your reservation, it may help someone who really needs a place to stay.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

If you decide to go to Big Bend, be aware that there ain't nutt'n there the kids will like, unless they like to hike. I compare it to Key West, without water, and WAY less people. We rolled in there planning to stay 4 days, stayed 2 weeks. Great motorcycle roads, especially up around Ft. Davis.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Ok update from local news. Approximately 150 buildings have burned in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Most attractions have survived intact but cleanup predicted to take several months. Would call the campground end of the week and they can probably give you a good idea if travel is encouraged.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks everyone. After discussing it with the wife, we have cancelled our reservations in Pigeon Forge. If things are really anywhere near that bad, someone may need our spot and we will shoot for another year. On a good note... Now she is back to my way of thinking and looking at pics of South Texas. Hopefully we can get a spot on South Padre. That will give us a chance to see the sights and maybe even take a drive over to Mission TX for a look at Retama and see if it might be a possibility for later in life. Any input? We spend most of our summesr in crystal beach at our RV spot there. So, gulf coast is definitely appealing to me. Hopefully we can take our golf carts with us as well. Jeremy

I tend to look at it both ways--a campground may be offering something desperately needed by people that have been displaced, but they may also be hurting financially if attractions are closed and tourists stay away. This can be especially true in areas not directly impacted but caught up in the hype/general association with the area. A campground in Gatlinburg might be overwhelmed with FEMA aid, displaced residents, etc. while a campground 50 miles away but still "in the Smokies" might struggle to keep the lights on because people are avoiding the area.

When I visited my parents in North Carolina shortly after hurricane Matthew (they're not far from some of the worst flooding, but didn't experience any themselves), I recall a conversation with a local restaurant owner that relied heavily on beachgoers. They had noticed things were way off normal, as people just weren't headed to the beach like they normally would be. Weekday business was OK, but weekends were pretty bad. There's obviously a very near-term life-safety operation to help, but for many businesses in a tourism-heavy area, the most important thing is getting tourists back. Missing out on holiday business this year could very well cause some to close permanently, even if nothing burned. I'm going to be through there next month, and plan to keep an eye on things between now and then--if I can visit without being a burden, I'm going to at least make a day trip in, go out to lunch, and maybe do some Christmas shopping.

There's certainly no right answer, other than maybe praying for more rain. Whatever you do, be safe!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

We live 30 miles away. Fires still burning so this is not over. Expecting rain tonight and tomorrow so should help. Where were you going to be staying? All roads into the Smokies are closed or limited at present. I'm sure, though, you will probably be okay for your trip in few weeks.

We have a few Chapters in that area (Defenders LE MC). I personally have plenty of friends in that area. The Pictures coming thru on TV. are so in the OMG area. We actually have our annualy National Rally for this june in gatlinburg. Not sure what we going to do now.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Morning update. Storm system moved in overnight. Actually had tornado touchdown near us. Heavy rains all night and still going this morning. Supposed to rain all day, so suspect good news will be fires will be extinguished. Bad news is potential for flooding and mud slides on denuded hill sides. Sadly three people up to now have lost their lives. Hopefully not more. Must say hats off to firefighters, law enforcement, and National Guard for their heroic efforts in preventing more loss of life.

As a side note, a father was separated from his wife and children during the fires and as of last night still had no contact even though their house burned (they were not found in the house). Electricity, water, even cell phone coverage is out in several areas so reminds me we all should probably have a well rehearsed plan during a catostrophic event. My prayers and I hope yours are with this family and all affected.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks Carl for the local update. We were just there about 3 weeks ago. Had a great stay at the KOA. We love the area.

I'm sure Gatlinburg will be a while to rebuild. But the Pigeon Forge area sounds like it's ok.

If it is reopened and ok folks may want to continue their plans. Like David said supporting an area by visiting might be just the Christmas they need as a tourist area.

Now of course is time to pray for all affected and no further losses.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

It was wise to cancel. Even if the RV park was untouched, the surrounding area of devastation would be sad to look at and would not make for a nice holiday in my opinion. We've been in areas after fires and it's depressing to see the destruction.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I definitely feel for all of the men and women both living there and the ones working to control the fires and clean up after. I have been a career firefighter for 25 years now and I definitely understand what they are dealing with right now. So, I managed to book a trip from Texas to Williams AZ for a ride on the Grand Canyon Railway and some stops at Las Cruces and Carlsbad for a day or two each. It should be a ton of fun and it will be the longest trip to date for our Volvo. I am mostly glad that I got the wife focused in on a new trip now and I can spend the next few weeks getting last minute things done before we leave out the week before Christmas. Our Prayers are with everyone in TN. Jeremy

Good plan Jeremy. All fires are now controlled just trying to control hot spots. 17,000 acres burned. Seven confirmed dead but that number expected to rise. The gentleman I referenced above has still not contacted his wife and children and they are felt to have perished. As a firefighter you know the job these guys are doing. Local news showed a squad sleeping on the sidewalk after they had worked 31 straight hours. They were still in full gear. Of note, Dolly Parton who is from that area, has set up a fund to provide ALL the families who have lost homes $1000/mos. until their situation is resolved. If anyone wishes to contribute, please do so to the Red Cross or to the Dollywood Foundation. Keep the prayers coming.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

And if you're stopping at Balmoreah, you might as well spend a day/evening at the Macdonald Observatory, just out of Fort Davis. I've been there 3 times and learn lots each time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Having had friends in that area in years past, and having spent a ton of time there both for business (hot rod shows) and pleasure and visiting friends, I know how absolutely dependent the entire area of Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and surrounding areas are on tourism dollars as the one and only industry in the area. On top of the devastation directly caused by the fires, loss of homes, businesses and associated jobs, if folks stop coming to the area even temporarily it will snowball into a years long recession for those folks. The best thing we all can do for the area is show up there as planned, spend the money you planned to spend, and please try to spend it at local businesses. Yes, Gatlinburg itself may not be the pretty scenery we are used to, but the main area of downtown is intact, and believe me every business that can be will be open as soon as humanly possible. They have no choice in order to survive for themselves and their employees. In Pigeon Forge reports have the business district largely untouched, discounting outlying cabins and such, so that will be business as usual. So once the immediate crisis is over, please do not turn away, they need us all more than ever right now.

I just sent a nice donation to the dollywood foundation, and would encourage anyone else who is so inclined and can afford it, please also make a donation. Dolly has long been a supporter of that area with an open heart and open purse strings for as long as I can remember and you can guarantee that every dollar that goes to her foundation will be spent wisely and locally.

Archived