wiper problem

GlennWest

My wipers only work on intermediate settings. No constant on. They did work but not now. I have low and high relays in fuse panel, also one fuse breaker (resets itself). Freightliner uses a multiple function switch. Basically lower function works but no upper. Upper also controls off so I have to cycle key to shut down wiper. Do y'all think the switch needs changing?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My wipers only work on intermediate settings. No constant on. They did work but not now. I have low and high relays in fuse panel, also one fuse breaker (resets itself). Freightliner uses a multiple function switch. Basically lower function works but no upper. Upper also controls off so I have to cycle key to shut down wiper. Do y'all think the switch needs changing?

Glenn......we beat this horse to death (sorry Dolly) a few weeks ago in a thread here on the forum....

Your preoccupation with the Freightshaker wiper switch is indicative of a potentially unhealthy condition where you are unable to leave the wiper switch alone.....

Glenn....forget the wipers on your Freightshaker.....the switch is a cruel joke (likely invented by the marketing department at Volvo...)

IF you simply HAVE to HAVE operating wipers trade your Freightshaker in on a KWopper ......Ken worth don't have wiper switches.....the wipers just run all the time.....

The BEST thing you could do is take early retirement and wait for perfect weather and drive non-stop to Death Valley and boondocking where it seldom rains....

Glenn .....stand back....do not touch that Freightshaker wiper switch.....

Drive on.....(Do NOT operate your Freightshaker in the rain....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The wipers are most likely NOT directly wired to the stalk switch. Like the Volvo (which uses the LCM) there is a control module that handles the signals from the stalk switch and then controls the wipers. Unless you have a open circuit replacing the stalk switch may not fix anything. Dig a little deeper or follow the suggestion used on the DollyTrolly. :)

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I'm so sorry. I had forgotten about that. Lots going on.

Glenn, just kidding ?

Rain ahead when you are herding a Freightshaker down the road is a dreaded weather condition.....maybe you you need the wipers or......maybe you can get by with out the wipers....

Just like looking in the mirror and seeing Big5er with the red and blue lights on and you realize that you are out of Dr Pepper....maybe you just drop the "hammer" down and outrun him......hard choices ....and Shaker wipers are a hard choice...

Jeff has a bizzillion miles behind Shaker wipers and he contends that once the wiper switch is...."molested", your life can be more complicated by the wiper arms become unstable in certain wind conditions....

Come on over to Death Valley....not too many rattlesnakes and NO Black Friday crowds today......AND....NO RAIN today, good Shaker Day....

Drive on......(Drive on sunny days...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 2 weeks later...

YEA!!!! Especially with the weather you are looking at this weekend. Stay dry Glenn.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Went this morning to Beaumont for switch. Poured rain the whole way. New Smart does much better in rain than my 2013 did. Saw 2 pickups, one in ditch and other in guard rail.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The wipers are most likely NOT directly wired to the stalk switch. Like the Volvo (which uses the LCM) there is a control module that handles the signals from the stalk switch and then controls the wipers. Unless you have a open circuit replacing the stalk switch may not fix anything. Dig a little deeper or follow the suggestion used on the DollyTrolly. :)

They're definitely not wired into the stalk on those trucks. They have to reach all the way over to a switch on the dashboard. Now on the Volvos, what's weird is that all of the variable speed intermittent functionality is via a relay controlled by the LCM, yet all other functions (low, high, and the washer pump) are directly switched by the stalk. And even though power is directly switched by the stalk, they still flow power for the low speed through the normally closed contacts on the intermittent relay. Pretty sure that configuration was designed by the same guy who set up daytime running lights on the older Volvos.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I would like to know how long the arms were on the Freightliner engineer that located the cruise switches and the wiper switch on the dash. Either that or they thought that movement kept the blood flowing. And like what was previously stated, why two switches for cruise ( one of which you have to turn off and then back one every time you restart the truck even though the indicator light is on) and only one for all the wiper functions!

Glenn, glad the new switch worked. I have a used spare one that I picked up some time ago when I was at a salvage yard getting my rear aluminum wheels, just in case mine starts acting up worse.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I would like to know how long the arms were on the Freightliner engineer that located the cruise switches and the wiper switch on the dash. Either that or they thought that movement kept the blood flowing. And like what was previously stated, why two switches for cruise ( one of which you have to turn off and then back one every time you restart the truck even though the indicator light is on) and only one for all the wiper functions!

Glenn, glad the new switch worked. I have a used spare one that I picked up some time ago when I was at a salvage yard getting my rear aluminum wheels, just in case mine starts acting up worse.

Dave

Star, as I recall when I talked to nephew Josh the Shaker engineer I think he mentioned that Two engineers did the switches on the Shaker and one was named rang and the other was a-tang and their momma stared in a movie with Clint Eastwood and her name was A-rang-a-tang and as you may recall she had long arms also......

So Star does it help to drive a Shaker if you can drag your knuckles when you walk...

So now that Glenn has a NEW....BRAND NEW wiper SWITCH and it allegedly works I suppose he will seek out thunder storms with cloud bursts to drive through....

As for me I'll just enjoy the bright sunny Death Valley days and not touch the Shaker wiper switch...

Drive on....(How much$$$ for a new Shaker wiper Switch?)

Archived