Dumb Question About Litter Boxes

Ok, just try not to call me stupid.... but we moved into our fiver while we get moved out of our house. By we, I mean me, wife, dog, and cat. Since we can't always keep all the windows open, what has anyone done about the ammonia smell from a litter box? I have read where people mix used coffee grounds with the litter and that helps. Any other way short of changing the litter daily?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

We started full timing with 2 cats and also used the clumping cat litter, yellow pail w/blue lid and cleaned box daily. We kept the litter box in the closet and made a cat door on the side which allowed the closet door to be kept closed. The closet had a unused dryer vent which we also kept open for ventilation.

Greg

The brand and type of littler makes a huge difference. We use Tidy Cat Instant Action Clumping Litter, scoop every day and change regularly. Our two cats have very healthy and productive systems. :rolleyes:

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

We switched completely away from all of the clumping/nonclumping litters a few months ago. We now use the Breeze litter system. It took our cat a few days to get used to the different texture and smell, but now there is no issue at all. NO smell! Not cheap, but well worth it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We traveled with two cats in a small truck camper. A high quality clumping litter worked fine. Of course, we dumped the clumps at least daily. The biggest problem we had was finding litter without scent. The usual stuff stinks up the entire camper with the smell of cheap perfume. That was worse than the cat odor.

The brand and type of littler makes a huge difference. We use Tidy Cat Instant Action Clumping Litter, scoop every day and change regularly. Our two cats have very healthy and productive systems. :rolleyes:

X2

I have one small cat and one large dog. Keep the animals bathed and clean. Keep the feeding / watering area clean. Litter box, Scoop at least daily, after scooping, sniff carefully - at the faintest scent, empty the litter box and refill with fresh clumping litter. I'm still working on training the dog to use the toilet. He seemed to learn everything else so easily, I don't know why using the toilet is so difficult for him. I would still take him for walks. Just can't imagine what he's thinking . . . . . I'm sure if I could get the concept across to him, he could explain it to the cat?

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

we have an electric kitty litter pan. 10 minutes after the cat uses it, a rake comes across, picks it up, opens a container, dumps it in, and covers it with the plastic cover, then rakes back across the kitty litter to smooth it back out. Empty it about every 5-6 days. Best investment ever!!

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Rather than scoop you might want to try one of the self-sifting litter boxes. Much easier to keep clean if you have a hard time getting on your knees to scoop. Several brands and types but here is one example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hometec-Lift-Sift-Litter-Tray/dp/B000X93CSA/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1469858250&sr=1-6

You may also see a litter tracking problem, different brands of litter track differently so looking for one that does a good job on the smell and doesn't track much is the way to go. You can also come up with something to catch the litter as the cat comes out of the box, we used a chunk of stiff fake grass but they also make tracking pads.

https://smile.amazon.com/WooPet-Litter-Under-Water-Proof/dp/B01C299PG6/ref=sr_1_49?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1469858310&sr=1-49-spons

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

X2

I have one small cat and one large dog. Keep the animals bathed and clean. ......

The last time I tried to bathe my cat it turned out to be a less than joyous occasion. Midway through the endeavor, my solar controller stopped working. I had to quickly unplug the solar panels and conclude the bath. It may have just been a coincidence, but I still blame the cat for finding a way to get even.

Cat baths are a piece of cake.

Grab the cat.

Put a tablespoon of detergent like Dawn in the toilet.

Dropthecatinthetoiletandslamthelidonhimandsitonthelid.

(No need for an agitator - the cat will do a fine job without one)

Give him 2 minutes for a complete wash.

Flush to rinse.

Possibly flush again for a second rinse.

Liftthelidandstepoutofthebathroomandclosethedoor.

Give him 30 minutes or so to dry off and get comfortable.

All finished. :)

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

I have never given my cat a bath, in 15 years. Nor any other cat before that. What would be the reason TO give a cat a bath?

RIP Dozey

Mine was old, not feeling well, and having trouble keeping up with the grooming. In case you haven't noticed, cats are vain. Mine looked a lot better and seemed to feel better after a bath and good brushing. I am convinced one of the reasons cats don't want to get wet is that they don't like the wet rat look.

I'm not the best at scooping litter. Often way not best. After many brands i have settled on Fresh Step, Unscented, Extreme, Scoopable cat litter. It is very rare I smell anything from the three cats. But I do need a answer for hair balls.

Mine gets a shower after he falls in [ salt water ] He is OK about it until I do his head.

Ah, ok, we HAVE wiped him down with damp paper towels after salt water or a roll in dead leaf and/ or red clay dirt

We also use ONLY Fresh Step Unscented (no matter what the scent is, we associate it with kitty litter) Extreme

RIP Dozey

Archived