Induction Cooking

Cookie1

Today we are buying a rig that has the induction stove top. Anything I need to know about cooking on it? My biggest concern is protecting it from scratching it. Since it takes up so much counter room, wonder if there is a protection cover. I have googled the question without luck. Also any suggestions on what kind of pots and pans I should buy? I'm going to post this same question on another feed also. :unsure:

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Life Rocks When Your Home Rolls

The bottoms of the pots and pans need to be magnetic. Some shop with a magnetic cover for their phone or tablet, while I use the magnetic clip on sunglasses to find pots and pans that will work. We do not have induction ourselves, but have given pots and pans to family members that do have them. We also replaced our aging pots and pans a couple years ago and made sure the new ones were magnetic and induction ready. You can get some good deals on induction ready pots and pans from Amazon, a whole set was about $70 a year ago, and Ikea has many choices.

You will have to be more careful of your electrical usage. In some RVs the induction top, microwave and kitchen plugs are all on a 30AMP main breaker, so running the stove top and microwave at the same time might trip that breaker.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Cookie1, What unit did you get?

Costco has a couple nice sets of induction ready cookware and some ceramic lined fry pans.

A cover for your unit could be as simple as a silicone baking sheet if you can find one the right size. Silicone is light, easy to clean and will roll up so it is easy to store when not in use. It also will tolerate being put back before the cooktop has completely cooled, something you know you'll eventually slip up and do.

An alternative is to have a shop that makes counter tops cut you a section of the material of your choice to make a cover. Adding a few silicone buttons (legs) to the bottom will help with both slippage and heat issues.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Sounds like the large glass cutting board with the rubber feet will work. I will definitely research all the pointers have received here and RVillage We haven't moved in yet, we're at the Escapade. We bought the Entegra Cornerstone Motor Home. Thanks for all the responses

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

I removed our gas stove and installed an induction cooktop and love it. It does not scratch easily and our preferred cookware is Calphalon, specifically the Contemporary series. I've seen silicone pads that can go between the cooktop and the pan and they're OK as long as you don't cook with a pan that can heat up too much such as cast iron (cast iron will scratch the cooktop) because the pads will melt. I've heard of others using paper towels or cloth towels--seems weird, but they can be used.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

We use paper towels to keep the pans from sliding around too easily. At high heat, they can scorch a bit if your pans don't distribute the heat evenly. It is important to keep whatever you use as thin as possible and non-metallic because the more separation there is between the pot bottom and the surface of the induction eye, the less efficient the transfer of energy to the pot. Usually, the user's guide states this. Just because it still works with a thicker protector does not mean that everything is OK, though, and you may get unsatisfactory results and blame the Induction cooktop instead of the separator you use.

Glass is harder than iron and should not be scratched by cast iron... But stuff happens.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Cookie1, both Rapid Chef and MagnaWare make excellant induction cook ware with removable handles and nest down into a very small space. This saves a huge amount of storage.

Our induction cook top is recessed with hinged cover but several friends have found various means of covering their cook top surface.

I have seen silicon mats that cover the whole cook top. I do not know where they got them but I would google it.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought T-Fal Professional series cookware for both MH and house. They work very well, and didn't break the bank. When you go cookware shopping, put a magnet in your pocket to insure the induction-ready symbol is accurate.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have used my single inductive stove for more than three years. I have used embedded-stainless, cast iron, porcelain iron, and other magnetic bottoms. When I used grandma's cast iron, I put a paper towel under the pan. Otherwise, no special precautions. I just checked and there are no scratches on the cooking surface. zero.

Cookie1, both Rapid Chef and MagnaWare make excellant induction cook ware with removable handles and nest down into a very small space. This saves a huge amount of storage.

Our induction cook top is recessed with hinged cover but several friends have found various means of covering their cook top surface.

I have seen silicon mats that cover the whole cook top. I do not know where they got them but I would google it.

I did buy the MagnaWare! Thanks!

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Archived