Credit Card Charge

I made an internet purchase from the UK. I made the payment using my Chase Freedom credit card. The charge appeared on my transactions with a slightly different amount due to the conversion. However, the next day another charge appeared charging a 3% international transaction fee. I was not expecting that. Can anyone tell me if this is common, or is it card specific?

Card specific, but pretty common. Pays to check ahead of time.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

While the amount of the exchange fee is different for different cards, I don't know of any that do not charge that fee. Remember that there is a cost to the card issuer for that money exchange. The 3% is probably about average.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There could be an import tax as well. Depending on the item, since you purchased it technically in another country, the item could be subjected to customs taxes/feees etc.

My better half also mentioned that if the package came USPS, it may have had an additional charge added for the difference in delivery rates. UK to USA

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There are plenty of no country fee credit cards but you have to know what to look for. Here are five pages of CCs with no foreign transaction fees including all of them from USAA:

https://wallethub.com/credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee/?v=3&utm_expid=55778207-2.S6KrrwWxT_CpvSFTtaaGjA.2&utm_referrer=http:%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DCredi%2Bcard%2Bcharges%2Bno%2Bcountry%2Btransaction%2Bfee%26src%3DIE-SearchBox%26FORM%3DIENTSR%26pc%3DEUPP_

All monies traded by credit or cash will be subject to whatever the exchange rate is at the time of it being posted to your account. But the extra fee can really take a toll on an extended trip.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Your card had a complete description of fees when you signed up. You probably didn't read it because it is usually lengthly. They wouldn't notify you at the time of transaction. That's something you should have been aware of....bet it won't be a surprise next time. :)

Our Visa doesn't have a foreign exchange charge and there are many out there that don't. If you're planning a trip to Alaska in the future, make sure you have a card that doesn't add this charge since you'd be going through Canada and the Yukon before Alaska.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived