Driving and have the urge to text someone?

Kirk W

And did you also notice the other signs that stated - 3 text violation results in loss of license.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I saw an article earlier that said texting was several times more dangerous than drinking and driving. Hopefully the folks texting will take themselves out with no harm to others.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

And did you also notice the other signs that stated - 3 text violation results in loss of license.

We did see signs that 3 speeding violations in construction zones mean a suspended license, but nothing about text violations.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I saw an article earlier that said texting was several times more dangerous than drinking and driving. Hopefully the folks texting will take themselves out with no harm to others.

x2

I've also read that talking on the phone uses the same brain cells as driving does. I refuse to talk to anyone who is driving as I prefer not to participate in their accidents.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If my phone rings while I'm driving, I hand it to Pam. If she isn't with me, it just goes to voice mail and I check it when I stop, of if I think it may be important, I pull over and check to see what it was. I am not a fan of hands-free phones either as it isn't the phone but the distraction. When texts come in while driving, the same practice.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our feeling is that hands-free is just as bad. You are concentrating on the caller and what he's saying. Your full concentration is not on driving. Things can happen in an instant. Someone said what's the difference if you're talking to someone sitting next to you? We think that 'someone' is probably watching traffic with you and if they see a problem ahead they'll probably see it and stop talking until you gather control of the situation. That's just our thinking. Not everyone agrees, unfortunately.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Most states had regulations about distracted driving long before the development of cell phones and texting. I remember a big fuss and national news coverage when a women was charged with "farding" while operating a motor vehicle. Using a CB radio, eating or even drinking coffee can get you a ticket especially if you cross the center line or shoulder line. Ever notice people that "talk with their hands" having a conversation with a passenger?

• 6 months later...

oh yeah, i have it too. a lot of times when i'm busy in work or other stuff that i shouldn't or just can't afford to miss. i think it has to do with either hyperactivity or anxiety... the only thing that works is to concentrate on driving. playing music out loud also helps. usually connect my phone to play songs so i can't reply back.

I spend a lot of time on a motorcycle looking at people who are looking more at their phone than the road. I always look for the eyes of the person who is closest to me when riding. It's really troubling that it seems like over half are looking down and not at me or the surrounding traffic. I have a lot of video of these actions and will continue to record such until such a time as it's important in my personal level. If there comes to a event that I have a possibility of preventing an event, it will not be recorded as I will be in action.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived