Sunset Bay State Park, Oregon

We've been offered a gig at the state park for November/December and are looking for any reviews or input with regards to this park. We are familiar with the area having been stationed at Coos Bay so the weather doesn't come as a shock. Mostly looking for any insight into the actual park itself. Any down checks due staff or the like?

And yes, we will be hitting up Charleston for the chowder :)

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We've volunteered in the area and at one time were scheduled to stay at Sunset Bay. We deferred because of the lack of cell service and the difficulty of getting a clear shot at the TV satellites. Nice park, although a bit crowded at times. Haven't heard any negatives about the staff.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

We stated in the park a few years ago. Only problems we had were the same ones indicated by Keith. Love the area. If you can get by without the couple of things listed it is a nice park.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

You've probably looked at RVParkReviews but if not:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/oregon/coos-bay/sunset-bay-state-park

It gets a high rating. We stayed there and for us, the sites were tight but it was a pleasant park. Lack of cell was no inconvenience and if you're volunteering there they might have something 'special' for you. TV was no issue for us as we don't watch it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thank you! No satellite or cell are definitely not show stoppers with us. Sort of the "we're just happy to be here" comes to mind. Of course it will depend on what all they expect and for how long. Will know more here in the coming weeks.

Again, thanks!

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

When we lived in Oregon we stayed at Sunset Bay several times. It has been some time and cell service was poor and if ya got on the back row by the golf course which is next door you could hit the Sat. December is a great time to be there due to the Christmas Light Display at the Gardens which is just up the road.......you should have a good time.

Personally, if I had an alternate option, I wouldn't be too excited to be up there Nov./Dec. You know the area, so wet/cold/windy and the park itself is nearly completely covered with large timber.. aka.. roof smashers. Maybe it's just me, but pacific high coastal winter winds under old growth doesn't excite me. :P

Don't get me wrong.. it's really a beautiful park. One thing I'll say.. the Pacific Northwest sure knows how to do up some nice digs.

I DO know you CAN get cell service down near the beach there. It's not that far of a walk so it's not like you're completely isolated.

See? That's exactly why I make a nuisance of myself and post up. I completely overlooked the falling branches aspect. Thanks Yarome, I will be making a point of that one and get more details on it.

As for cell, not worried, its only 2 miles to Charleston and another 8 or so to the mall in North Bend. Also, we'll be coming off a month and a half gig out in the boonies of Flaming Gorge so should be used to it by then.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Have lived in S & B in Coos Bay and North Bend. Sure wouldn't want to be spending Nov. or Dec. at Sunset Bay in an RV. About the only good thing I can think of is that you won't have to shovel all that rain. And believe me, " It will rain!" And the rain will be sideways a lot of the time.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

Interviewed on Wednesday. FHU site, limited WIFI, no cell. No bathroom cleaning but some supply replacement. Fire rings and litter pickup for the most part. Very mixed feelings now since the hours required seem a bit high (20 per person). I think we'll be looking elsewhere.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Very mixed feelings now since the hours required seem a bit high (20 per person). I think we'll be looking elsewhere.

That IS a bit excessive. Basically $140 value for 40 hours.. so.. $3.50 an hour. I wonder if they expect you to police the beach as well. You know the area so the weather isn't THAT terrible all the time.. but it 'can' get a pretty good move on. If your awning area is screened and you have awning poles, you can still get your morning coffee outside. :P I would just really hate to get a puncture in my rubber roof (or worse) from a falling branch. For a long weekend in tolerable weather I would chance it, but not for 2 months straight.

ture

A friend staying in the area likened it to "living in a car wash". Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Is he originally from California? :lol: From what I've seen, standard winter wear for Oregonians is hiking boots, shorts, and a parka. Never really even see an umbrella no matter how hard it's coming down.

I say that in the best possible way. I love Oregon. Beauteefull country up there and really great folks.

Very mixed feelings now since the hours required seem a bit high (20 per person). I think we'll be looking elsewhere.

If you are wanting a volunteer position in any state of federal park I'll be surprised if you find a place with much less in terms of hours. That is especially true if all of you host hours are considered to be working... I can recall very few places that we have ever been that didn't ask 20 hours each or more from volunteers. I believe that the COE was only 24 hours total and we were at a Virginia State Forestry Tree farm that asked for only 20 hours total for the two of us, but most places of the 38 we have experienced asked for 24 hours each person.

We have volunteered in three different Oregon state parks and had a great experience at each of them. Remember that this isn't a barter position where you are being paid for your hours of service. If it were, you would also have it reported as income for tax purposes.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A friend staying in the area likened it to "living in a car wash". Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Best description I've heard for the OP's time frame(Nov.-Dec)

Is he originally from California? :lol: From what I've seen, standard winter wear for Oregonians is hiking boots, shorts, and a parka. Never really even see an umbrella no matter how hard it's coming down.

Shorts are really not common in winter coastal weather, but you're right about the umbrella. No REAL Oregonian would be caught dead with one. However, rain suits do come in handy in a "car wash"

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

• 1 month later...

We've spent the last four winters in that area. Never again. Umpqua, is pretty wicked, too. Any of the capes are storm central.

I sure wouldn't take Sunset. Small spaces. Tight roads. Trees down, branches everywhere. Locals drive like idiots on those little curvy roads. And that is pretty much what you get at that time of year, locals visiting. Nov/Dec isn't as bad as Jan/Feb for rain, but those storms can bring down dang near anything. Hope you are parked head into the winds or you will wobble something fierce.

About the hours. If you can wing it, only ONE of you volunteer. Then OR only requires 30hours a week.

Kind regards

~Laughter is as essential as the air we breathe~

Although I LOVE the scenery of the Oregon coast line.......the winters are a concern. One year, in Southwest Oregon, we got over 70" of rain. Being from SOCal, we were overwhelmed. Everything was green though!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Archived