33 replies to this topic

#21 bigjim

bigjim

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • SKP#:46429

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

It might have changed but I think retired dod was able to use some campgrounds subject to the local command and only behind just about everyone else like active duty, retire military, etc.   I have not checked in years but I seem to recall checking at a couple that said I could stay depending on space available. Now that it can be a pain to get on base someplaces I would only try for the ones off base. There is one by Navy lake at Memphis, Tn. I would try if I couldn't get in the state park nearby or a private park that is nearby.

I got checked by an officer  at Kirtland AFB when I was using the snack bar at the bowling alley.  My card is a Dept. of the Army retired civillian card and that was sufficient for her. I was told the same thing at the auto hobby shop, space A. No problem at the on base shop-ette but of course not the commisary.

#22 Nomad Hikers

Nomad Hikers

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts
  • SKP#:132791

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hi, 

I was just wondering how many of you use Military Campgrounds?  I am retired/disabled and have my DOD card and we are considering availing ourselves of the many campgrounds on military bases. 

What was your experience?  I have been on two investigating their campsites and find them pretty nice.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and recommendations. 

My husband is retiring 12/30/16 DOD.  We will look into Military Campgrounds as well.

Happy Trails!

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - Work in progress :wacko: 

#23 remoandiris

remoandiris

• Validated Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

It might have changed but I think retired dod was able to use some campgrounds subject to the local command and only behind just about everyone else like active duty, retire military, etc.   I have not checked in years but I seem to recall checking at a couple that said I could stay depending on space available. 

There is a link on page 1 of this thread that shows what categories are allowed to use DOD MWR facilities.  It will answer all your questions. 

Edited by remoandiris, 20 December 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#24 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4,224 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

IIRC, the only retirees allowed to use DOD Famcamps are military retirees.

Sorry but who can use a base famcamp is decided on the individual base commander policy. We have met many retired DOD using the campgrounds. Always best to check first

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#25 remoandiris

remoandiris

• Validated Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

Sorry but who can use a base famcamp is decided on the individual base commander policy. We have met many retired DOD using the campgrounds. Always best to check first

Actually, you are only partially correct.  Commanders have some discretion who they may ADD to authorized users.  As I stated above, someone graciously posted the link to the Mil FamCamps website that lists the DOD regs and authorized users.  The link is there for all to click and see the results.

Some training bases like Parris Island and the USAFA have special consideration for non-dependent family members to use famcamps for graduations only.

Here is the link, again.

http://www.militaryc.../authorized-use

#26 bigjim

bigjim

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • SKP#:46429

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

"Some training bases like Parris Island and the USAFA have special consideration for non-dependent family members to use famcamps for graduations only."

Hey, this makes good sense so keep it quiet or it might go away.

Jfyi, I earlier  referred to Navy Lake campground at Navy Memphis.  I just heard from the talk in the head that it is supposed to close very soon. I think they said by the end of Jan. 2017. Even though not official I was told by the owner of the park I am in near there the manager of Navy lake CG just came here to find a site since it is closing and he needs a new place to park. That should be pretty good scuttlebutt.

#27 oldbutspry

oldbutspry

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

What does everyone do with their firearms when they go on military bases?  I think the Army might be ok if you have them registered but I think the Navy has some draconian rules (not sure, just going by the signs you see when entering the bases).

#28 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4,224 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

What does everyone do with their firearms when they go on military bases?  I think the Army might be ok if you have them registered but I think the Navy has some draconian rules (not sure, just going by the signs you see when entering the bases).

It is entirely dependent on the individual base. You need to check when you register or call ahead and ask about the rules.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#29 oldbutspry

oldbutspry

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

It is entirely dependent on the individual base. You need to check when you register or call ahead and ask about the rules.

Ok, thanks!  Not very convenient but at least maybe doable.

#30 Heavymetal

Heavymetal

• Validated Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

On the military campground web site it tells If they are allowed or not. If they are not allowed you can leave them with the provost Marshall office. The firearm policy is listed down at the bottom by the weather info if they have on.
2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp
w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK
2 Great Danes

#31 markandkim

markandkim

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thing are about to change.
Retired USN

2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Hemi 5.7
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2004 18' Tracker Bass Boat

#32 oldbutspry

oldbutspry

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Thing are about to change.

Yeah, a lot of us are wishing for a change.  I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much, though.  The Army resists change like you wouldn't believe.

#33 Chalkie

Chalkie

• Validated Members
  • 347 posts
  • SKP#:120922

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

And I might add that simply whistling on down the road and ignoring whatever the reg might be is not wise. Some bases (and I have witnessed this) use dogs to check out large vehicles including RVs. You get caught at least they turn you around and deny entry, at worst..... you may not want to know. 

Gary and Jan

2008 Ford PSD SRW, Airbags, Companion Slider Hitch

2013 Infinity 3640RL Fiver with Trail-Air pin box

#34 oldbutspry

oldbutspry

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

And I might add that simply whistling on down the road and ignoring whatever the reg might be is not wise. Some bases (and I have witnessed this) use dogs to check out large vehicles including RVs. You get caught at least they turn you around and deny entry, at worst..... you may not want to know. 

Sometimes they require trailers to enter through the commercial entrance.  They made me do that when I was pulling a UHAUL trailer.  There they scan the vehicle/trailer from the side with some sort of large device.