Military Campgrounds

drzcharlie

Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you use Military Campgrounds? I am retired/disabled and have my DOD card and we are considering availing ourselves of the many campgrounds on military bases.

What was your experience? I have been on two investigating their campsites and find them pretty nice.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

I use them all the time. Your good to go if you're retired military or 100% DAV. Otherwise check with the command first. I've read that some are flexible. The FAMCAMPS that I've been to are not. Rightly, active duty has priority for sites.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Base campgrounds are much like any others in that some are very nice, most are satisfactory, and a few are dumps. You should be able to use any of them as I have not heard of any that do not accept retired/disabled members. A few will also accept other veterans, usually as space allows. If near a base where you know someone, I believe that all of them will let a sponsored guest stay there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since you are eligible to us military campgrounds you may find this link useful. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

However, take time for due diligence. Just because it is a military campground does not mean it costs less that others in all instances. For example, we often travel through Abilene, TX. The DW asked why we did not stay at the Dyess Famcamp. Good question! So I checked on it and found that the nightly rate was within a dollar of the KOA rate and the KOA had far easier access from the highway. On the other hand, the Air Force Academy Famcamp is in a beautiful location and the rates are excellent. We have been tempted to stay there, even though we live here, for an "in town" mini-vacation.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

You should check out the website Chalkie has recommended. It has all the known military campgrounds listed and provides websites (when available) for the Famcamps so you can get more in-depth info on each location. We have stayed at many of these campgrounds and appreciate the convenience they offer in our travels. We agree that they are not always the cheapest since most do not offer weekly or monthly rates, but there are some that offer resort type amenities or locations that are hard to match. Try them out!

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

We us Kirtland AFB as we pass through and our daughter livers there for now. My BIL is a DOD employee at Luke AFB and he uses fam camps in both Yuma and Kingman all the time.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I love driving the secondary back roads so base/fort campgrounds are great--added security and use of facilities I am entitled to as retired. Can be good to fantastic.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

We stay at military campgrounds whenever one is available. We just left Nellis AFB FamCamp which is one of the nicest and most popular. At $22 a day, that's a bargain when you visit Las Vegas. Use the military campground website that Chalkie recommended and read the reviews for the campgrounds that you plan to visit. Many of the campgrounds have a problem with "homesteaders" and some have been converted to temporary housing for active duty personnel. That's an exaggeration but read the reviews for Fort Bliss in El Paso for an example. The following article describes a common problem that, in this case, is being corrected:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/news-and-articles-mainmenu-2/latest-news/joint-base-lewis-mcchord-tells-long-term-residents-to-pull-up-stakes

Make sure you call ahead, especially during "snowbird" season. Some parks in the south (NAS Key West, Fl, SUBASE King's Bay, Ga, etc.) fill up and have ZERO availability.

The Navy has an AWESOME reservation system...even a toll free number to call if you don't want to use the web site.

Some parks allow reservations while others do not. Some allow long term stays while others do not. Seems to be no uniformity in the system, even within the same service.

The military campground site mentioned above is a VERY good resource. But, as was also stated above, they are not always the best or cheapest in an area. I have found Passport America parks to be the better option in some places.

The USAF has a frequent camper program. I have not used it.

http://www.myairforcelife.com/Outdoor/FAMCAMPS.aspx

We use them:

1. If they are along our route. We don't travel out of our way for them

2. If they are comparable in cost and amenities to other public/ private CG

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at Ocean Pines (Oceana NAS) in Norfolk for two months. The rate was $585 per month which sounds high but all the surrounding camp grounds were $1000+.

The RV app Allstays has a great free app that list just the military parks they are also listed on their paid app and it shows everyplace you can stay free or charge. The other good thing is they show all the places to fuel get repairs buy supplies and low bridges with clearance. We use it all the time because it is all over layed on top of google maps just don't pay attention to distances they are provided by travelers and not always correct.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

We use them quite often. As anything else some may be nicer than others. All in all, we have had very good experiences with the military campgrounds.

Try them you'll enjoy them.

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Rick, I love your tag line. I called the base in Key West to see if it was possible to get in next Thursday. I was told that I should call before we hit the causeway as sometimes there are very few there and sometimes they are in overflow. It's worth the gamble. Off we go.

Thanks everyone.

The reason military campgrounds have different rules is, each local base commander sets their own. Thus the recommendation to call ahead.

militarycampgrounds.us lists each facilities rules, and current entry route, don't think allstays has that feature.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Great information!

THANKS TO ALL OF OUR VETS, YOUR SERVICE IS OUR FUTURE.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 2 weeks later...

I am a veteran. Not retired from the service or disabled. My wife is a retired Federal law enforcement agent. She can get on military bases with her retired ID.

Does anyone know if we would be able to camp at military bases? Had not thought of it until i read this thread/

2017 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL " Bob's Cabin / Carolyn's Beach House"
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
9 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

The RV app Allstays have a free app that is just for military campgrounds and it list just about all of them in a great format. Their regular app cost a few dollars but is well worth it. The shows the campgrounds overlaid on google maps.

We use them all the time and so far the Navy has had the best ones.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I am a veteran. Not retired from the service or disabled. My wife is a retired Federal law enforcement agent. She can get on military bases with her retired ID.

Does anyone know if we would be able to camp at military bases? Had not thought of it until i read this thread/

IIRC, the only retirees allowed to use DOD Famcamps are military retirees.

It might have changed but I think retired dod was able to use some campgrounds subject to the local command and only behind just about everyone else like active duty, retire military, etc. I have not checked in years but I seem to recall checking at a couple that said I could stay depending on space available. Now that it can be a pain to get on base someplaces I would only try for the ones off base. There is one by Navy lake at Memphis, Tn. I would try if I couldn't get in the state park nearby or a private park that is nearby.

I got checked by an officer at Kirtland AFB when I was using the snack bar at the bowling alley. My card is a Dept. of the Army retired civillian card and that was sufficient for her. I was told the same thing at the auto hobby shop, space A. No problem at the on base shop-ette but of course not the commisary.

Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you use Military Campgrounds? I am retired/disabled and have my DOD card and we are considering availing ourselves of the many campgrounds on military bases.

What was your experience? I have been on two investigating their campsites and find them pretty nice.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

My husband is retiring 12/30/16 DOD. We will look into Military Campgrounds as well.

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

It might have changed but I think retired dod was able to use some campgrounds subject to the local command and only behind just about everyone else like active duty, retire military, etc. I have not checked in years but I seem to recall checking at a couple that said I could stay depending on space available.

There is a link on page 1 of this thread that shows what categories are allowed to use DOD MWR facilities. It will answer all your questions.

IIRC, the only retirees allowed to use DOD Famcamps are military retirees.

Sorry but who can use a base famcamp is decided on the individual base commander policy. We have met many retired DOD using the campgrounds. Always best to check first

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Sorry but who can use a base famcamp is decided on the individual base commander policy. We have met many retired DOD using the campgrounds. Always best to check first

Actually, you are only partially correct. Commanders have some discretion who they may ADD to authorized users. As I stated above, someone graciously posted the link to the Mil FamCamps website that lists the DOD regs and authorized users. The link is there for all to click and see the results.

Some training bases like Parris Island and the USAFA have special consideration for non-dependent family members to use famcamps for graduations only.

Here is the link, again.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/news-and-articles-mainmenu-2/military-campground-and-rv-parks-articles/authorized-use

Archived