Help with new custom setup

sdixon747

I recently put a deposit down to have a new trailer custom built. This gives me the opportunity to optimize my shack and antenna setup. I plan on running two runs of coax to the back and two more to the roof. The roof will be basically clean, ie no air conditioners (basement air) but will have a fairly large solar array. The overall design is still being finalized, but the overall length will be between 42 and 44 feet.

So now to the big question. Ground plane? I guess that theoretically a copper plate covering the entire roof would be ideal, but very expensive and not practical. So, looking at various ground plane solutions, and weighing the cost/benefit of each, what would be best solution? Copper wire run in a radial pattern on the roof? Copper foil? Maybe put nothing up there and just use the steel of the frame? Would copper in the floor (closer to the ground) be better? What do you think?

Thanks very much for your input.

Steve

KJ4YGY

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Steve and Gail,

Congrats on your new venture. I have no comments on the ground plane and other things regarding the antenna use, but I can help you out with some of the "why didn't I think of that" when I had my trailer built. Let me know if I may offer assistance. One of the big ones and I really didn't think of it until I saw it is the use of the "customary and usual" water and electrical connections for an RV. I am not sure who thought they were ever a good idea, but putting a straight out of the side wall the electrical and water connections causing immediate stress on the cord and hose just isn't a good Idea in my mind. If you go with reels you don't have to worry about it, I would have if I had thought about it a bit more.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks Rod. We're looking forward to the build. So much to think about. So many things that are so much easier to do on the initial build than try to retrofit. I have a thread on the HDT forum asking people to Help Me Spend My Money. Got some good ideas there. Some I already thought of and many I didn't. With the input of others, hopefully I get it right the first time.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Shoot, Steve, since we're spending your money I'd use gold leaf, :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived