Service Wait Time

Stiltner

Hello Everyone,

How long does it typically take for your RV to be serviced?

Here in Northern California, dealers are about 3 weeks away for an appointment, then another 2 + weeks for service items to be completed. Note: the requested service is warranty work and minor repairs or scheduled maintenance. Nothing like an engine rebuild.......

Thank you,

Patrick

It varies widely depending on where you are and what needs to be done. Warranty work takes awhile because it has to be approved. Replacing parts take awhile because the right part needs to be determined, ordered, and shipped. It is good to be retired when dealing with this. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

In our 16 years of full-timing we never returned to our selling dealer for anything. Of course, it helped that with our two RVs - Travel Supreme and Newmar, we didn't need much of anything. If we needed a manufacturer-specific part or repair we just made an appointment for a future stop. We'd come in the day before, spend the night on their lot with electric and the service would be completed the next day - never failed.

We did the same for motorhome general maintenance - oil changes, etc. - made an appointment and they were ready for us when we arrived. It worked flawlessly for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In our 16 years of full-timing we never returned to our selling dealer for anything. Of course, it helped that with our two RVs - Travel Supreme and Newmar, we didn't need much of anything. If we needed a manufacturer-specific part or repair we just made an appointment for a future stop. We'd come in the day before, spend the night on their lot with electric and the service would be completed the next day - never failed.

We did the same for motorhome general maintenance - oil changes, etc. - made an appointment and they were ready for us when we arrived. It worked flawlessly for us.

We do the same thing with the dealership we purchased our coach from. When it comes to work that can be scheduled - I work with their Service Department well in advance to put together a list of work to be done and a mutually agreed upon day (or days) that we're targeting to do it. The dealership is roughly 170 miles from our home - I drive up the evening before, pull in around 10 pm - park in a "visitor" spot, extend my slides and plug into their shore power. The next morning, a service tech knocks on the door to let me know they're ready for me. I take 10 minutes to close up the slides and disconnect from shore power - and they then drive the coach into a service bay and gets to work.

My service trip last November included an "Engine Service" (oil, filters, etc. for both the coach engine and the generator), "annual" service on the Aqua Hot, replacing the controller on the macerating toilet in the rear bath, the installation of my internet electronics (router, signal booster and rooftop antenna) which involved running 12v power connections, modifications to the cabinet where it's installed, breaching the roof to run antenna cabling, etc. Finally, I had them winterize it as well. I drove up after playing in my Tuesday ice hockey league - and they completed my laundry list of work such that I drove home late Thursday afternoon. I literally stayed in the coach the whole time - even when it was actually in the service bay - working my day job via a work issued MiFi Jetpack. In the evening - they simply rolled me back to a Guest spot and left me for the evening.

Being present when they're actually working on your coach can be a good thing! Being that this was the first time the coach had been winterized since we've owned it - I paid to have it done. It was expensive - BUT, I rationalized the expense as being in part the cost of the winterization process - and part tuition payment. They let me shadow the technician - who explained and demonstrated everything he was doing while I took pictures and notes. It was enough instruction that I was able to re-winterize the coach with confidence while on the road home at the end of our Florida in late February.

The "knowledge sharing" was a two way street. I was sitting at the dining room table working as they were installing my internet gear. I happened to catch the two technicians discussing which of the antenna leads needed to be connected where. While they were standing there talking it over - I was able to reach out to the manufacturer and speak with an engineer who provided direction on exactly how it should be wired.

Plus, there were a couple of times that the technician gave me a shout to show me things discovered in the course of their work (all of which were minor/low $ issues) - and gave me options to have it addressed right then and there "since the cover was off".

Working with their Service Department to prepare for the trip included me sending the laundry list of what work I wanted performed. They in turn requested pictures of a handful of things (so they could order parts in advance). Since I was providing the internet hardware that was to be installed - I forwarded installation guides for their review prior to my arrival. We probably exchanged a half dozen emails as we coordinated my visit.

Heck, the sales guy we worked with when purchasing the coach stopped by at the end of his business day - and joined me for a couple of bourbons. We hung for damn near two hours talking RVs and world peace.

I'll be honest - I was a little concerned about how purchasing from a dealer that was 170 miles away from home was going to work out. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it's been working for us!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Over the years and the past three RVs, the experience has been variable. We bought a Class C at a dealership that was very responsive. They made appointments, stuck to them and in most cases work was completed the same day. Chassis maintenance and warranty was done at the local Chevy dealership and completed while I waited. The two warranty issues while on the road (transmission replacement and fuel sender) were done on the road by dealerships that Chevy towed the RV to. The transmission took a week and Chevy put us up in a local motel. The fuel sender was completed the next day as we arrived just before closing time. They let us stay on the lot overnight.

Our next RV, a travel trailer has taken to the selling dealer once. I made an appointment and dropped off the trailer as scheduled. After a week, they had done nothing and would not commit to when they would do the work. I drove to their lot hooked up the trailer, stopped in the Office and got the keys to the trailer and never returned. Another local dealer that is co-located with a very large campground did that work and all but warranty work on our current trailer. When the campground first opens or is closing for the season it can take a couple of weeks to get an appointment. The work is usually finished the same or next day. This same dealership just repaired storm damage. I took the trailer by for them to inspect. They gave an estimate less then the insurance appraisal for repair. I left with the trailer and they ordered the parts. When the parts arrived, I scheduled an appointment, dropped the trailer off first thing in the morning and it was done by noon.

We have had one warranty repair on the current trailer. The manufacturer told me to take it to their closest dealership. The dealer inspected the problem, got approval from the manufacturer and ordered the parts. I left with the trailer. When the parts arrived, the dealership scheduled an appointment. The work was completed in two days.

For appliance repairs, I like to use mobile repair services. I have never waited more than three days and they have always complete the work in one day.

A great deal of the wait time issue is the timing of needing service. Financially healthy RV shops get very busy in the late spring and summer months and so wait times get long, while fall and winter waits are usually quite short to nonexistent. Most shops can't afford to pay a large enough staff to avoid longer wait times in busy periods.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think time differences come about when folks 'drop their RV off' vs full-timers who live in these homes. It shouldn't be that way but I think it is.

If they know you're a full-timer they'll get it done in a timely fashion. We really appreciated that but also understand the problems others have who are part-timers but have a home to return to. In many cases I think you're then put on the back burner.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

To many variables my RV is not the only RV in town. Time of year makes a difference. Warranty work can take time because of approvals needed. Parts ordered and shipping can take time..last repair job replace black tank and rear ladder took 3 weeks.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Thanks for your input everyone. I was having a tough time swallowing the 2 plus weeks of wait time when I make appointments for warranty and maintenance. Thanks to your input I'll have patience. I think my dealer could benefit from this information......they are not very good at communicating.

How many cars with two AC's, a furnace, range, refer, two 40" TV's, 100 gallons of water, 100 gallons of diesel, 50 gallons each poop and gray and on and on.I called this morning to the shop for an oil change on my toyota they will do it tomorrow. Call for my C about the same, call for the DP and a couple days with lots more to do. If I call ahead and don't expect ER room service most is timely, but most not drive in like jiffy lube.

LEN

Archived