TOW BAR FOR TOWING 4 DOWN

rambler62

I have been looking for a tow bar for towing our jeep wrangler which is a 5 speed manual so I can just put the transfer case in neutral and go. I have looked at the prices and they vary so greatly that it is a little confusing. Amazon has Reese and other name brands in the $120.00 bracket and then some at 60.00 or so and then there is Blue Ox at 500.00 plus. At 500.00 plus I might as well get a used dolly. Any guidance Here?

There is a lot more to towing successfully than just a device to connect the two vehicles together. I'd suggest that you do some research on the various makes of tow-bars and why they vary so widely in price. At the very top of the quality group would be the Blue Ox and the Roadmaster units. Those are by far the most often recommended by RV owners. You also will need a base plate on the vehicle to be towed that the tow bar attaches to. I would consider one of the tow bars that insert into the hitch receiver and then detach from the towed vehicle to be of vital importance.

The better tow bars also have arms that unlock to move in and out so that you don't have to be perfectly aligned with the RV to connect up and they also release so that you can unhook when the towed vehicle happens to be in a bind when you stop.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A baseplate $$$ should come before the tow bar.

Tow bar prices are the same as, do you want a Chevy or a Caddy?

Don't forget the Toad lights and wiring, breakaway chain, and supplemental brakeing.

2-3K should get you all set up.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

For Jeeps with transfer cases, your are four-down towable. That was why we choose a Grand Cherokee for our first toad.

Four-down is far better than messing with a dolly. You choice of vehicles is reduced by you don't have the dolly to deal with when you are not towing. And if you are every stuck in a situation where you need to back up, it is easy to unhook the car, and re-position than to unload the car, disconnect the dolly and then backup.

Be aware that base plates are not universal if shopping for used. They are tailored to the car.

Also, you will need an auxiliary brake unit for the car. A car in tow is a trailer and in most states, you need an auxiliary brake unit for cars over 3000 lbs. Some states as low a 1500 lbs. One allows 4500 lbs. This is a rule for the state you are in not the state you are registered. There are several styles.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I just outfitted our Jeep with a Blue Ox Avail tow bar and Invisibrake. I didn't need a baseplate for the Jeep because I have a Smittybilt off-road bumper that the Avail mated to with some adapters. The 2k-3k dollar range is accurate for a set up like this. I know all the components are rock solid and I don't have to worry. I looked at some of the cheaper options, but I am double towing behind a fiver so I wanted to take as much worry out of the equation as I could up front. I have towed about 5000 miles so far with this set up and everything has worked flawless so far.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Interested in the responses as well, because we will be towing a Jeep Wrangler, except an automatic. Does the tow bar make a difference between automatic and manual transmission? If so, the responses won't apply to us.

No - the tow bar won't make a difference between automatic and manual.

Most, if not all Wranglers have a transfer case that can be put in neutral. Some, such as our 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, allow for the transfer case to be in neutral and the ignition key removed.

When towing, our Jeep weighs in at 5050 pounds, and that's loaded with gear, food, etc.

Our Falcon 2 tow bar is rated for 6000 pounds.

The towed vehicle also requires a tow bar. We used a Roadmaster tow bar for the Jeep (this one) - This tow bar works well but in hind sight I wish that I had looked at incorporating a winch with the tow bar (not sure if a winch system would work with what I have now).

Response here will apply to your Jeep. :)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

No - the tow bar won't make a difference between automatic and manual.

Most, if not all Wranglers have a transfer case that can be put in neutral. Some, such as our 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, allow for the transfer case to be in neutral and the ignition key removed.

When towing, our Jeep weighs in at 5050 pounds, and that's loaded with gear, food, etc.

Our Falcon 2 tow bar is rated for 6000 pounds.

The towed vehicle also requires a tow bar. We used a Roadmaster tow bar for the Jeep (this one) - This tow bar works well but in hind sight I wish that I had looked at incorporating a winch with the tow bar (not sure if a winch system would work with what I have now).

Response here will apply to your Jeep. :)

Thanks for the helpful response. We'll be purchasing a new Wrangler Sport, so we should be a little lighter than you (before we pack it with gear). LOL

My Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door weighs in at about 4900 lbs.. It is a hard top with a 3 inch lift and 315 (33") tires. It also has Smittybilt bumpers front, rear and sides with a winch, so it is a little heavier than stock. I went with the Blue Ox Avail tow bar because it is rated at 10000 lbs and is a little longer than others. I wanted the capacity margin this tow bar provided and I wanted a little extra length because I am towing it behind a fifth wheel with a lot of tail swing. I didn't want the jeep and the fifth wheel corners meeting in a tight turn.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Just remember that almost like everything we do! You get what you pay for. A good tow system is a safety investment. Just be careful! We went to the Blue Ox factory and had everything done on the Jeep and RV so far all is working great. Go back every few years for a FREE checkup and tune-up. They even have an overnight place to park. Great place and wonderful service.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I have been pulling trailers behind trucks for years. I have over 200,000 on a 1 ton and 36' trailer that we had for business and that is for just one of the many that I have towed not counting the boats. I just don't see $ 2000 for a tow bar. Lights I can wire from the M.H. and I can't see the need for that big of a brake system for a jeep wrangler. No hard top, big wheels, or such. I can't believe a 20,000 lb. M.H will not stop jeep wrangler. I have towed heavier boats with no brakes on trailer. I am not going thru the mountains and Fl. is about as flat as it gets.

I can't believe a 20,000 lb. M.H will not stop jeep wrangler.

Of course it will, eventually. But when a small child darts into the street in front of my RV, I want every bit of ability to stop that I can get!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can't believe a 20,000 lb. M.H will not stop jeep wrangler.

It is not the motorhome stopping the toad. It is what stops the toad should be become disconnected from the motorhome. Unlike many trailers, a disconnected toad will not drop down to the ground and stops. A toad will just roll and become an unguided weapon.

And anybody or property damaged by your unguided weapon is your liability including possible manslaughter charges.

That is why an auxiliary braking system is required.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Like stated above, most states require supplemental braking when the gvwr of the towed vehicle is 3,001lb or more AND if less than 3,001, but over 1,500 unladen. I think that qualifies all 4x4 Jeeps, Samurais, etc.....

What about break away system? Can't have one without supplemental braking........

Why no do it right, safe, and legal? What's another $1K in the whole scheme of the RV hobby?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I have been pulling trailers behind trucks for years. I have over 200,000 on a 1 ton and 36' trailer that we had for business and that is for just one of the many that I have towed not counting the boats. I just don't see $ 2000 for a tow bar. Lights I can wire from the M.H. and I can't see the need for that big of a brake system for a jeep wrangler. No hard top, big wheels, or such. I can't believe a 20,000 lb. M.H will not stop jeep wrangler. I have towed heavier boats with no brakes on trailer. I am not going thru the mountains and Fl. is about as flat as it gets.

Its not 2k for the row bar. A Blue Ox varies in price from $500 to $800. The 2k$ includes base plate and breaks system

Our set up, including an SMI system, came in around $2k.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

The ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with an integrated brake system runs about $1200, or about $1300 with the optional breakaway kit. Add a base plate and light wiring and you're all set for under $2K plus labor.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

It is always, better to be SAFE than sorry. Old Boy Scout rule "Be Prepared". Much good advice offered here. Make your best choice on what you think is safe and best.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

And where are you going to park that trailer? Not all RV parks have room of extras like a trailer. Never saw the amount paid for being able to tow 4-down to be that expensive in the grand scheme of things - it was like 1.5% of what we paid for the coach.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We, too, opted to be able to tow four-down so we wouldn't have to mess with a dolly. It takes only a couple of minutes to hook up or disconnect. We usually unhook when I refuel near the campground, and Jo Ann leads the way in the Jeep.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I put the street rods on the trailer all the time and have not had a problem at campgrounds that have pull thru sites. I just have to plan. Never had a problem with the cars. Don't pull the jeep very often so 2K to 3K for a set up is not worth while when I already have a good trailer. At a couple hundred yes.

Buy a tow bar + baseplate and accessories heavier than the minimum for your towed vehicle. Everyone knows towing at the maximum your vehicle is rated to tow is not prudent. Same for the tow bar, don't tow at the maximum rating for the tow bar or it wears out prematurely, just like the vehicle will at maximum tow rating.

I put the street rods on the trailer all the time and have not had a problem at campgrounds that have pull thru sites. I just have to plan. Never had a problem with the cars. Don't pull the jeep very often so 2K to 3K for a set up is not worth while when I already have a good trailer. At a couple hundred yes.

Sounds like a plan to me. Not what I would do, but it isn't me, it's you-and your plan.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

As for a tow dolly, it depends on how you use it.

We found ourselves up a lumpy dirt road, in the dark, in freezing weather on a dead end road.

(due to some bad advice)

We had to disconnect. A tow dolly would have been a true nightmare.

The downside of towing four down is that you cannot back up more than a few inches. Disconnect is required.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Archived