Passport America CD - Favor please!

We did not bring the CD copy of Passport America we got when we signed up. We use the online version while traveling.

I'm wanting to fact check my memory, and those of two other RV campers in this park, in regards to whether or not the Passport America CD shows in restrictions of usage in regards to Southern Hills RV Park & Campground, in Hermosa, SD (Black Hills area). Specifically restrictions in relation to Holiday Weekends (Like the 4th of July), and or Three Day Only discounts.

As we were making plans to come to the area, I checked online in various parks in the region narrowed down to the ones I was interested in, and then called and talked to them.

Knowing we were looking for a place to include over the 4th of July, I was specially interested in rates for that time. When i called Southern Hills RV Park & Campground. The answer I got, and I asked it a few different times, was no limitations on the number of days of Passport America Rates, and no limitations over the 4th of July weekend. So I stopped looking, because at $16 a night with 50 amp and full hook ups, I felt this was better then getting into a National Park like area with usually only Electric Hook up, and then running to the Dump and Water refill while in the campground. The National Park's wold have been a few dollars less, but also many of them only have 30 Amp service too. And we expected, and found, warm weather while in the area, so 50 AMP was a plus:)!

Paid with our visa, charged in full at that time, 5 weeks before arrival. Also got the email invoice and reservation confirmation from the park, reflecting the Passport America discount, bringing it to $16 a night for our 7 day visit. (And, it is central enough to the Domcile business we were doing in both Box Elder and Rapid City, the Custer State Park where we like to spend a good amount of time, Rushmore of course, Needles Highway, Horse Thief Lake, Hill City, etc., etc. So the less then ideal RV Park was OK as a home base for our visit.)

We pulled into the park on our date, friendly camp host told us to pick a site that we liked.

Three days after coming into the park, I noticed a new charge to our visa, for additional fees. This was followed up with another automatic email from the park, with an 'adjustment' reflecting only a 3 day usage of Passport America Discount. Their website, and now also Online Passport America, have been changed to reflect the restriction of 3 days of Passport America Discount. Another two RV campers also told me that they too had had an adjustment made to their bill, and were not pleased, as they had both (traveling together) signed up for a months stay at the Passport America discounted rate.

It's the principal of the thing to me. A park has the right to change their fees, and their discounts. BUT, IMO, not alter their agreement with their customers already on the premises. I would have probably only stayed 3 days, as this park is 'rough', and then moved to a National Park. And of course I would have needed to do this earlier, especially over a 3 day holiday weekend, as getting reservations in this area is very hard due to peak tourist season...

Favor Please? I don't have the CD with me, but I was hoping someone with the Passport America CD could look for this park, and validate my memory, as well as the other two RV'ers, that no Three Day Limit restriction was noted.

Once I know this, I will then reverse the charges on my Visia. May even do this anyways, as I had an invoice that sated our dates of stay, and reflected paid in full. Also stated that this could not be altered, so if I can't alter it - they should not be able to either:)!

It just smells to me and the DW, and the other RV'ers said when the tried to talk to someone about it - they were given a rather rude response...

TIA for anyone that has the CD, and will look to see what it says,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I don't have the CD as apparently we became members before they passed those out, but I do have the current printed book . The book says,

PA does not apply to special offers and cannot be combined with other discounts. PA is not valid during Sturgis Rally. Reservations and drive-ups welcome. No discounts on tent sites. * Rates are for 2 people. $3 for each additional person, per night.

There is another listing right above that for Heartland RV Park and Cabins that states PA valid for unlimited stay. Looks like FHU, hot tub, pool, W/D, Wifi and says PA $15 - $25 - If you need to move you may want to check them out. They are on Hwy 79 # 605-255-5460.

Good Luck.

Pat DeJong

PA cannot change what the owner does or charges, however if you report this situation they may talk to the owner and try to explain that this is not the way to treat the PA customer. If multiple complaints come in for a campground, they will be removed from participating in PA. There is an on-line form you can use or a toll free number to customer service.

Pat DeJong

I don't have the CD as apparently we became members before they passed those out, but I do have the current printed book . The book says,

PA does not apply to special offers and cannot be combined with other discounts. PA is not valid during Sturgis Rally. Reservations and drive-ups welcome. No discounts on tent sites. * Rates are for 2 people. $3 for each additional person, per night.

There is another listing right above that for Heartland RV Park and Cabins that states PA valid for unlimited stay. Looks like FHU, hot tub, pool, W/D, Wifi and says PA $15 - $25 - If you need to move you may want to check them out. They are on Hwy 79 # 605-255-5460.

Good Luck.

Perfect!!! It reinforces what I saw online at Passport America when I was doing my early research. (Memory can be a fickle thing...)

The park seems to be having some problems. A couple bought the park within the last few years. It's the one when you drive along Hwy 79, that has the three large presidential heads of Bush, Kennedy and Reagan, and is within three miles of Heartland that you mentioned, where we have stayed. (The one with a Vixen RV rotting away, that has not moved in several years.)

One longer term resident of this park, said that the couple has full time jobs that they drive to, and thought that the park would be on 'auto pilot' generating cash for them. Not realizing how much work is involved in managing a park (His opinion, not mine.). He commented that the Work Camper they have here, who is their face to the customer, is now on week 8 - with no former experience. We don't use the facilities, but as I walked thru them they're clean. The rest of the park is becoming more and more run down (We drove thru this same park two years ago.) A few power pedestals have stopped working, and instead of fixing them, they're just not using those sites. The long term resident said the previous owner used to bring in fresh gravel as needed. New owners are not doing this, and it shows, as this place is a mud pit when it rains. (And it has rained here all but two days while we've been here...). And here we are on a 4th of July weekend, with open sites. Every day, we see people drive thru, and pull right back out on the highway. The park is not all that inviting on first brush. (Again, nice people work camping. And no problems with the fellow RV'ers we've talked too as we walk thru the park. A few have reflected they'll not be coming back. Not a great way to run a business.)

The same long term resident pointed to the corner of the park at a large newer looking combo 5th/toy hauler. Tuned at a privacy generating angle. This site has deep gravel all around it, and in the site next to it, where two vehicles are parked each night. He said that that was the owners, and he felt it spoke volumes that they set up their site to be so nice. And yet seem to be neglecting the rest of the sites maintenance. And you know, I have to agree with that assessment:)!

I sure don't wish them any problems. Hope they grow into being good owners!!! And, the new fresh Work Camper, is working hard, and is a nice lady. But without any funds allowed for improvements - all she can do is clean as best she can. If the couple are not going to be hand's on owners, then they would do best to hire a Park Manager that has experience, and let them get things back up to snuff.

I'm not going to spend too much time on this. I've asked my Credit Union to reverse the charges. I will post my review on RV Parks Review. And I will send or contact Passport America as FYI to them.

If the other two RV couples had not told me that the owner they talked to, the wife, was less then interested in their concerns. Even going so far as telling them that if they were to leave early (They're here for a full mont each.) that they would be charged at a higher rate... I would have approached them to give them my input as a customer, and ask them to do the right thing and honor the reservation and rate that was agreed to when I signed up. But, not going to bother - based upon what the other two couples told us.

Sure can not understand that kind of attitude, in what is a 'service' industry. Want to change your rates? Want to now restrict Passport America to Three Days only? OK, do so. But, honor your agreement that was made with existing customers. Don't seem to 'Bait and Switch' once customers are in the park:)!

Appreciate the input from all of you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Once I know this, I will then reverse the charges on my Visia. May even do this anyways, as I had an invoice that sated our dates of stay, and reflected paid in full. Also stated that this could not be altered, so if I can't alter it - they should not be able to either:)!

Since your invoice is marked 'paid in full' then I wouldn't hesitate to deal with your Visa bill.

Once you're in the park they shouldn't change rates. I'd also definitely contact Passport America on this. I know they will do something as we had an issue once and the park was booted out of PA.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We're at a PA park in IL now. We searched online, picked this place, and made a reservation. The published rate was $10/night plus electricity. We arrived yesterday, were taken to our spot, and the attendant said he would be back later to collect. Several hours later another person showed up and said the rate for this spot was $18/night. We asked about that, and were told that the rate had changed last year, but PA hasn't gotten around to updating the website.

Since you paid in full, and have a receipt saying that, I would think that the park can't arbitrarily change what they charge you.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I have a response back from PA, that they would make contact with the park. So, they responded quickly. No telling what, if any, influence they have on what the park will do.

I made a dispute with Visa, my local credit union Visa, on 7/4. Did this online. Had not heard anything as of late yesterday, so called to ask. They said that the department handling disputes, usually takes 3-4 business days to work thru disputes. That the person handling this, would only contact me if they had any questions, or wanted more data. I asked the Customer Service person answering the phone, if they could send that department a request to contact me when they started the process, so that I could forward the invoice to them. (Explained we're traveling by RV, and do not always have phone and or email availability.) This is a big credit union, and they have departmental kingdom's that I've run into in the past. So, we'll see if anyone does actually contact me or not...

Will close the loop back on this one, when I know one way or the other. (My wife emailed the two couples that are still in the park until their full moth is up. They said that they had tennis ball hail within 1/2 mile of where the park is. And they had a repeat of what we saw last week, with between nickel to quarter size hail during this storm. For the third time since they've been parked here, they elected to bring their slides in due to the winds being so strong.)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty,

Trish and I were there for 22 days beginning the middle of May. There were no limitations at the time, except during Sturgis. Trish just checked the book and it lists no limitations aside from Bike Week and using PA with other discounts.

As for the "park", we won't go back. There was no wifi. The laundry facilities didn't work except the last week we were there ... thank goodness for having our own washer and dryer. The place was nothing but mud (actually clay) whenever it rained. They can't help the weather, but we had hurricane warnings 5 or 6 times while there and had to close up our slides, because of winds, probably a total of 1 1/2 weeks while we were there.

Lynn was the only camp host when we were there. The owners wouldn't allow her to do anything to make the place better, despite asking many times. There were 7 or 8 "permies", but very few travelers. The park offers nothing.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

They can't help the weather, but we had hurricane warnings 5 or 6 times while there and had to close up our slides, because of winds, probably a total of 1 1/2 weeks while we were there.

Hurricane warning in South Dakota? :) Did you mean tornado?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Hurricane warning in South Dakota? :) Did you mean tornado?

LOL! You got me there. But, in my defense, at the time all I knew was that wind is wind and we were going to get way too much of it.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Archived