Antenna placement - WiFiRanger + weBoost

Yarome

I really have tried to research this but most of the information I find about antenna placements, which is probably telling me exactly what I want to know, are using terminology, measurements and formulas that are outside of my wheelhouse. When it comes to radios or transmitters or the like.. my knowledge extends to about, "Yup! That's an antenna."

I'm hoping our resident gurus can give me a simple laymans answer specific to my gear.

I have (will have) a wifiranger EliteAC and a weBoost 4G-X with OTR trucker antenna. What I would LIKE to do is mount them both on a single extendable pole attached to the rear of the house. What I don't know is if they will interfere with each other or not.. and if so.. how much spacing between the two is required.

I would think I wouldn't have them both powered at the same time so they shouldn't, right? Is there a time when both would/could be?

The only other equipment up top is my internet satellite dish that sits midship about 1/3 of the way back from the front on a 25' long rig. Will that, or they, interfere with each other in any way? Again, I'm thinking only 1 would actually be powered at any given time, right?

I might be over thinking out of ignorance, but basically, I don't want to go ahead with a plan and then find out I botched them both up.

TIA for any info. I'm hoping for a, "nah.. don't matter. Stick'em where you want." B)

Why not attach the ranger to the Batwing antenna?

WeBoost to the ladder pole.

On my MH I have the WeBoost on the Batwing and ranger Sky2 farther back on a Max vent cover.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Why not attach the ranger to the Batwing antenna?

WeBoost to the ladder pole.

Because I don't have a batwing or ladder. I don't really want to mount anything to the roof. I just want to play with them for now to see if they are really going to work for me.. and.. I don't want anything up there to interfere with my panels. On an extendable pole on the rear I can drop them down to a level that won't cast any shadows when not in use and extend well above when needed for better line of sight when needed.

If the two devices aren't powered at the same time, there is surely no reason why the antennas would interfere with each other. Even if they both were on at the same time, the frequencies are sufficiently different that I doubt there would be a problem.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

If the two devices aren't powered at the same time, there is surely no reason why the antennas would interfere with each other. Even if they both were on at the same time, the frequencies are sufficiently different that I doubt there would be a problem.

That's kind of what I had thought, but didn't know if the physical characteristics would interfere with each other in any way. A couple of sites were talking about interactions and measuring waveforms and this and that. I don't know enough to even know if that applied to my gear or not.

I've seen Chris & Sheri's rig.. they must have more than a half dozen all close together, but they also have some metal sheeting and such I know not what the purpose was for and could have been a lot more going on behind the scenes that I wouldn't have recognized anyway.

Appreciate it, Joel.

That's kind of what I had thought, but didn't know if the physical characteristics would interfere with each other in any way. A couple of sites were talking about interactions and measuring waveforms and this and that. I don't know enough to even know if that applied to my gear or not.

Sometimes a little bit of knowledge gets people wrapped around the axle. Sure, every bit of metal near an antenna is going to affect it in one way or another. The relevant question is "does it matter?" For the purposes most of us are concerned with, the answer is "no".

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Sometimes a little bit of knowledge gets people wrapped around the axle.

Ain't that the truth. :lol:

One last question. How bad does it affect signal to/from the antenna to add in say... a 10' extension coax? Specifically.. on the weBoost OTR Trucker and looking at the RG58.

In general, extensions of any kind are bad. Cellular amps like the WeBoost and Maximum Signal are FCC certified for use with specific antennas and the supplied coax. Once you start changing those the results are less predictable and will often reduce performance. I would always use RG6 rather than RG59. (As I recall RG59 is 75 ohm cable and RG58 is 50 ohm).

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

In general, extensions of any kind are bad.

Understood. Thanks!

Yes.. the RG6 is 75ohm and the RG58 is 50ohm. I don't know about RG59. The existing coax is 50ohm so I thought I should keep it the same.. but kind of a moot point now. I'll stick with what's already on it.

Cheers!

Archived