Cheap propane!

dartmouth01

MacNova,

Costco's are different here. They pumped my tank full, I watched them do it and gave me a metered ticket which I took into the tire department and paid $1.99 per gallon plus tax. I believe the total was 4.46 gallons, so the tank was not quite empty. I paid for exactly what they put in the tank, not a fix fee for a 20# tank like the Costco by you did.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Tillimook RV Repair in Tillimook, OR is $1.70 per gallon this year, up $.20 from last summer.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Propane is one of four of my favorite price watches. When we first get to a location, I check prices on diesel fuel, ice cream, 30 packs of Natural Light/Bud Light.(You know priorities) In the last month or so here is the pricing on propane in our travels. First fill since leaving Yuma ($1.91 Gal all winter) was in the Bozeman, MT. area. Kenyon-Noble (building supply) had a "sale" on propane advertised in their sales folder: $1.99 gal, regular price $3.28 gal. So as we made a grocery etc. run into the Belgrade/Bozeman area I stopped at Kenyon-Noble's location in Belgrade. Told "sorry the pump is broken". Then over to their Bozeman location, not very far from Belgrade. Went inside to pay the bill and of course the printer put out a fancy sales slip that ended up being $13.13 for the 30 pounder. Gal at the counter said "you got a buy since it was on sale". I told her that I wouldn't be there at $3.28 a gallon and got that deer in the headlight look. Then onto the Kalispell, MT. area. Of course Costco there pumps propane but we aren't members. So Northern Energy, a propane supplier, has "Terrific Tuesdays" at $2.00 a gallon, normally $2.28. Next stop was Libby, MT. On one end of town the same Northern Energy outfit that is in Kalispell, which is usally the high price leader in Libby didn't disappoint. A call to them and was told an empty 30 pounder would be $24.00. No thanks, says me. So we stop at the opposite end of town, a very friendly convinence store that pumps 7 days a week during business hours. Cost was $16.69 and a smile with a thank you. Too bad other states don't make propane pumpers post their price out front as Arizona does, just like gas stations.

Howdy!

Our travels this summer have been in the Maritimes. We've spent the last three months in Newfoundland. Propane here is expensive, and we've used quite a bit. Here it cost me $60.00 to have a 40# tank filled. When we return to the good old USA next month as always after traveling in Canada I'll feel like I got a pay raise.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

We do not use much during the summer months, Last time we filled a tank was at the FJ/Pilot on US 27, Haines city ,Fla where we refill during the winter. I note today the listed price at that station is 3.099 per gallon less the .10 per gal discount on out Rv plus card. It appears the price has not gone up since April of this year.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading that LP was going to be cheaper this year. I have not seen it so far. Where is all the LP gas going that they are now pumping??

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 4 months later...

• Costco's propane price is still fair when you do the math. They are not cheating you your just thinking apples when your being billed for oranges.

Thanks for all the great info. I'd have to say that even though their pricing is fair, their methods are dishonest and wastes people's time. I certainly don't want my RV propane tanks filled to only 75%. It's a hassle to get them refilled. If they're only refilled to 75% then I have to fill over 5 times for the same amount of gas that I should have only had to make 4 trips for.

Very good info!!!

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

I went to a Camping World in Northwest AR and they had propane for 1.75 on Tuesdays. Not sure if they still do or if other CW's do the same.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

The Love's truck stop just down the road still has it's sign out for $2.99/gal. propane, as of two days ago. Of course, TX has not had nearly as abnormally cold winter as the northern states have had.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Some of you may have seen this comparison of the equivalent energy cost between electricity vs propane

$/kwh $/gal

.05 $1.34

.06 $1.61

.07 $1.88

.08 $2.15

.09 $2.42

.10 $2.69

.11 $2.95

.12 $3.22

.13 $3.49

.14 $3.76

.15 $4.03

.16 $4.30

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Unfortunately you forgot to indicate that you have to include an efficiency factor in for propane appliances, like 70-80% for furnaces where as an electric heater is ~100% efficient. And for some older furnaces, the efficiency may be as low as 60%.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived