Rules about boondocking

PhilHutch

Hi Guys.... New to this forum so hope you dont mind my questions. Im from Australia - coming to US in Mar for a 6 month road trip round 40+ states. I take it boondocking is the same as "free-camping" in Australia?? Are there any rules / laws / or big no-no's I should be aware of when travelling through?? We do a lot of Free Camping here in Oz .... have a 5th wheeler set up well for it and love the freedom :D . This time will be travelling in our 34' Pace Arrow, Don't want any trouble with the law to spoil our fun :blink: Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Aussies Going to US For Road Trip

in a 34' Pace Arrow :)

Open to all info possible

Phil & Jo Hutchison

Melbourne, Australia

If you want to park at a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes (hardware stores) ask permission. I find it easiest to call the store rather than going inside.

The best bet to stay out of trouble is to ask permission. Also look for signs which post overnight or camping restrictions. Some towns and cities are very restrictive on parking on the street or in empty lots.

Here is a great source for which Walmarts do and do not allow overnight parking. Once you join (no fee required) you can go the the files section and download a list of the US Walmarts.

If you join Escapees you can get a file from Days End which lists thousands of overnight parking spots and low cost camping spots.

Do an internet search for Free Campgrounds, there are 2-4 websites which list low cost or free camping spots.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thank you Al, I had heard about walmart parking and will look at those links :) by the way...... what is this SKF number against peoples names :wacko:

Phil & Jo Hutchison

Melbourne, Australia

by the way...... what is this SKF number against peoples names :wacko:

Membership number for those members of the Escapees (S Kay Pee) RV Club. Anyone is welcome to participate in the forum, however, day's end listings and some other helpful resources are only available to members.

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

The term boondocking has no set definition that I am aware of. Some folks consider all dry camping boondocking. Some consider dry camping in parking lots such as Walmart, Lowes, etc. or any free camping as boondocking. As for boondocking in the actual boondocks, much of it is done on public lands. There are rules and they can differ between the agencies that control the land and even from area to area. Two of the major land controlling agencies that allow boondocking are the Bureau of Land Management and the National Forest Service. Here is a link to national map of BLM lands. Here is a link to the National Forests. There are generally less restrictions on where you can boondock on BLM lands, but in my opinion it is always best to check. Sometimes it is not all that easy, but starting with the state and district offices is generally a good way to get information. Travel management maps are available and may be available in downloadable form from some states and districts.

Boondocking on National Forests with a vehicle is generally restricted to roads open to travel and may or may not be permitted on every road. The number of roads open, the distance a vehicle may be from the traveled portion of the road and other restrictions vary from forest to forest and sometimes from ranger district to ranger district in a single forest. Areas open/closed to vehicle camping are often not marked on the ground. Each Forest has travel and or Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) that show the areas open to vehicle camping. Here is a link to the MVUMs of many National Forests.

The individual States have varying rules on boondocking on their public lands. Boondocking is allowed on Arizona Trust Lands with a permit. New Mexico allows what they call primitive camping (drycamping) in designated areas of some state parks for $8/night or free with an annual pass. Some states permit boondocking on wildlife management areas and/or fishing lakes. A fishing or hunting license may or may not be required. In Forida, some water management districts permit boondocking on their lands.

Here are some links and other sources that list individual boondocking locations:

Free Campsites

Free Campgrounds

Bob’s Cheap or Free Campgrounds

Dean’s List

Boondockers Welcome

Harvest Host

Days End Directory

Don Wright’s Guide

Hope this helps. Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!!

I take it boondocking is the same as "free-camping" in Australia?? Are there any rules / laws / or big no-no's I should be aware of when travelling through??

To me, blacktop camping overnight is a bit different than "boondocking" (where there may be low cost fees associated), but similar idea to "free-camping" in AU. There are any number of resources and directories for free overnight camping, however, boondocking to me is more about camping "off-grid" (no hookups) in more remote locations outside of a campground setting.

Fees and rules do often apply and vary by State and area (State Parks, National Forests, Bureau of Land Management, Corp of Engineers, etc.), however, it's generally just a "drop in the bucket" compared to campgrounds and would give you the freedom you've expressed.

AussiePhil....we are Canadian snowbirds and have been coming down to the US for the last 4 winters to get away from the cold weather and snow. We have kept mostly to the south western portions of the US for several reasons.

1. Its the warmest area in the winter.....Yuma , AZ is by far the warmest. Next would be the San Diego area in California ( but very expensive and no boondocking) as well as Florida but Florida is too far for us to consider. Florida is also very limited for boondocking.

2. The southwest states such as Nevada, some of California, Arizona , Utah and New Mexico ( as well as the northern States in the summer such as Montana, Idaho Washington and Oregon ) have lots of boondockng areas. In my experience once you get east of these states there is limited to no boondocking areas unless you stay in state parks. Keep that in mind when planning your trip. The further east you go the more crowded, less boondocking and your expenses will skyrocket.

Boondocking to me is drycamping with no hookups out in the country. Then there is overnighting in Walmart parking lots or truck stops etc. which I call dry camping. You can also dry camp in some campground both private and state/ federal for less money than their hookup sites.

My motorhome is equipped very well for boondockng and we can go for as long as 2 weeks on the water we carry. We have solar panels and batteries as well as a small 2000 watt gen for battery top up. We also have the big 7500 watt diesel gen that we use for the big power draws such as microwave, air conditioning....etc.

Generally the rules for boondockng are probably similar to your rules in Australia such as no dumping of waste tanks in the wild, no running of gens at night if you have neighbors close by, new campfire rings are discouraged....try to use existing ones. In the desert they dont like you to scavenge for firewood in some areas. Leave the wildlfe alone.

Anyhow...a few of my thoughts and experiences.

Jim

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

6 month road trip round 40+ states.

Just reading through again...

That might be a pretty tall order to really see much other than through your windshield. Maybe it's your goal to just see the diversity of the various states from the interstates, but if you really want to be able to "experience" what the various states have to offer, I would probably limit my travels to just a small handful.

Ya know... you're ALWAYS welcome to extend your trip or come back and visit often! ;)

Big welcome from Texas and I would just echo what Yarome said about limiting your number of states and exploring those to the fullest. Heck it FEELS like it takes a month to drive across Tx must less explore our great state!!! And I know I could spend 6 months just exploring the western states...oh and something else you definitely want to take into consideration, you probably already have but i will mention it, is the weather extremes you want to avoid during your 6 month tour...like avoid Tx in July and August if possible!!!!

The Escapees RV Club and other RV organizations have endorsed this way of overnight parking such as on WalMart parking lots.

https://escapees.com/images/pdfs/boondocking-letter.pdf

True boondocking is altogether different. It can be easily done on national forest or BLM lands. However, the different areas have different regulations as to exactly where you can park. It takes some research. Good luck...it's a great way to stay.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thank you very much for your input guys... its really appreciated.... especially trailertraveller for taking the time to give such comprehensive info :) I play a facebook game (Sad I know :rolleyes: ) but over the last four years I have communicated daily with guys all over the world...including the US..... to the extent that I know more about them than most of my real life friends! Our idea is to meet as many of these guys as possible to get a real flavour of the country from all over.... with these guys able to point out what's in there particular area. As suggested by one of the posters.... we can then decide yo just winterize the RV and come back in following years :D (currently just got a 5 year visa - and our plans are not to "do" winters any more!!) Current Plan is to Fly into Chicago in early March.... pick up RV in Mi..... then head south (to the warm :lol: ) visiting guys in NC,SC and FL..... then work Clockwise following south coastal region Texas in End April.. NV start May..... Ca mid may.... Montana beginning June..... then head east through central states taking a month to get west > east...to friends in RI and MA then head back to MI to park up RV in Aug and fly back to summer in Oz

Phil & Jo Hutchison

Melbourne, Australia

There are lots of ways to decide where and how fast to travel. Your idea of meeting online friends around our country is a valid one for getting a sense of what is where.

The general rule for comfortable RVing is to stay south of I-10 in our winter then hit the middle tier as you travel north in the spring and south in the fall on your way to/from the upper states where you travel in the summer. Be aware of tornado alley (north/south line in the middle of our country) in the spring and hurricane season (Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Coast) in the fall. And enjoy!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A great source for finding camping sites in the National Forests is this guide. Fred & Suzi Dow visited every NF campground in the USA, including Alaska and include many, many details about the campgrounds in the NF's. They also keep the guide updated.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

While I like and use the Dow's Forest Camping Guide a lot, it is not map based (that I am aware of) and requires additional research to determine which campgrounds may be close enough to a planned route to make them a viable or cost effective option for an overnight or very short stay. The information provided is very complete, however the guide only covers National Forest Service campgrounds. I use it most to check the pad size, number of sites and other conditions of a particular campground once I have determined that it is a possibility along our route.

Two good map based sources of many local, state and federal agency campgrounds are USA Campgrounds and the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project. The data from these sites can be viewed on a map online or downloaded and used on several GPS and mapping programs so that determining which campgrounds are along a proposed travel route is pretty easy.

Most of the campgrounds listed in these sources charge a fee. There are still many small town parks, fairgrounds, etc that allow free camping. There are still some free National Forest and BLM campgrounds, but not near as many as there used to be and it seems that many that had no fee in the off season are now closed during the off season. The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project, Free Campsites and Free Campgrounds websites have the best listings of these that I have found.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived