Replacing Front/Rear Overhead Clearance Lights

jc2

I am looking to replace with leds, all of the overhead oem front/rear-amber/red clearance lights and the (2) amber colored(1 on each side) side marker lights that blink in conjunction with the turn signals. I will need (5) amber for the front, (5) red for the rear, (2) amber for the side marker/blinker lights on our 2004 Newmar DS. Anyone have a suggested source/link that I could check.

Thanks.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Amazon??

I try to never drive at night. I like to be in a campground before dark.

The 17 year old OEM lights have keep anyone from hitting me so far.

Or are there some RV Rally light shows like the motorcyclist have?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker56: I also rarely drive at night but more often will have to use all the lights during the day when warranted by rainstorms. Current lights could use a good cleaning so I will see if the existing lens have screws that can be removed for cleaning. If so, will see if there are compatible led bulbs for replacing the filament ones. I can see where having to remove the entire light assemblies could be a pain due to the obvious amount of silicone around them.

Sibernut: Thanks for your info.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

It does little good to gob any sealant around clearance lights, especially silicone which does not seal well on a rolling earthquake. What requires sealant is mounting screws, and especially the access hole for the wiring. Many years ago our 5er began showing rotting wood in the LF corner. After much investigation I discovered water was filling the clearance light lens up to the bulb then running into the wiring hole in the aluminum skin and soaking the wood. This was happening because the clearance light base was completely sealed around its parameter, preventing water from going anywhere but into the wiring hole. I sealed around the wiring then drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of every clearance lens to prevent a re-occurrence. Then rebuilt the LF corner of that 5er.

Every RV I've owned since then has 1/8" holes in the bottom of clearance light lens.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 weeks later...

JC2,

I deal with lighting quite a bit--if you send me a picture or two of what marker/clearance lights you have, I can give you some recommendations on what to use, and where to get good prices (and steer clear of the cheap stuff that won't last). The comments above about sealing the openings are good--though I tend to prefer lights that use a gasket so it isn't a hassle if you need to pull them off in the future.

While not specifically geared toward your motorhome, you might find these links useful:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=122918

http://eastcoasthdtrally.com/presentations/lighting-requirements-when-converting-a-truck-tractor-to-an-rv-hauler/

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Nuke-E,

The ones that I have on the mh are appear to be available on Amazon. Go to their website a type in Grote pn 47262 for the (red) one & Grote pn 47263 for the (amber) one. The amber side lights that blink in unison with the turn signals are still in good condition so might see if there is a led bulb to replace the existing incandescent bulb. Took the lens off the upper outside red one as it was burnt out and I think that the (2) very small bulbs might already be led. The other (4) rears are working but but could use a reasonably sized bead of caulk. The (5) front overheads all work but the dealer we purchased from in 2012 looks like they used (1) tube of "silicone" caulk for each light. :unsure:

JC2,

That happens to be the same style that mine uses. For the cost involved, I'd replace them all with the LED version. My RV had an off-brand version of the light with no reflectors that I just replaced last month with the same ones (here and here). If you go for a version with LED bulbs, you still have the wedge or bayonet style connectors that aren't the most reliable.

The only thing you might look for is whether the side markers are using a floating ground to do the flashing. If so, you're sort of stuck with polarity-insensitive LED bulbs there--if you look up what kind of bulb they are, I can help you find a "bulb" to go in them. But for all the rest, at ~$10 each, go for the complete LED lights. Even if you just need the lens for the incandescent ones, it looks like the LED version is cheaper with shipping--they use the same lens.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

• 2 weeks later...

Good information. I replaced all of my bulbs with LED bulbs. They work great. I found lens covers Red and Yellow on EBay. I carry extras to replace the ones that I lose or break. So far this has worked for me.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived