Campground Fees

Kaybee

For those of you in the AZ area, Cal-am parks are offering a 4 month special ...all 4 months of Sept, Oct, Nov and December for a grand total of $600. I think that is a great deal for full hookups in the resort style of parks. Works out to $150 a month or about $5 a day. In Jan the rate goes way up.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Since the temperature isn't really comfortable until about Oct 15th, they are trying to get people into the park's when they are usually empty. Notice electric isn't included, Sept could be 200+ just for that month. Still can be a good deal if you can stand the heat.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Also, look into Thousand Trails. We got in on a trial special, paying under $600 for 2 sections of the country for a year. If you are living full time in your rv, it works out to be a good savings. The camp grounds are a bit older and they vary in facilities offered. Our issue with them is that we have gone semi-feral and they tend not to have campgrounds in the remoter places we want to go. Check them out, tho. They maybe for you.

we are not full timers but are on the road for @9 months of the year with 6 consecutive months as of late in Florida during the winter. I had to look at Quicken to find the cost as we usually do not track it closely. For the year to date we are averaging just under 350.00 per month in CG fees. Since we prefer full hooks all the time that may be a bit higher than most here. We do use PA if a CG is on our route of travel. That number does not include fuel but our fuel cost has been nearly 2400.00. We do not track food cost as we have to eat no matter what. That is total of @ 590.00 per month fuel and lodgings to date. Projecting out for the year that would be over 7K per year and I would think it would be a bit more. we do have a S&B to maintain but our cost go way down in the winter months in terms of utilities in Northern Ohio. In fact what we do not pay in Ohio Utilities offsets our cost during the winter in Florida.

No cost included for Rv maint, Insurance unforeseen repairs , etc but we do have the numbers in quicken. It is not a low number.

It is a high cost but we planned for it and we enjoy the adventure.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

There is another issue that hasn't really been discussed. Many people are sharing how cheaply they find places to stay. We have friends who often stay in very economical places but they have no ambiance. (Many of the Escapee places are just large gravel acres without a tree or bush to be seen) When we were full-timing a nice place--not too fancy--but still nice was very important. We preferred places with a nice view, nice neighbors, if for several weeks or months activities. Those things usually come at a price. When on the move and staying only for a night or two, we have no problems paying $30-$40 a night. If for a week, we except a free night. If for a month, we expect a free week. If we were still full-timing I would not have a problem paying $500-$600 a month for a nice place. I'd certainly pay less if I could but you get what you pay for.

Spend the first months experimenting with different places and find out what you like. If you can afford it, there is really no need to just stay at the cheapest places. And don't be totally fooled by boondockers. Many of those have spent $1000's on solar, etc., etc to do it in comfort.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Boondocking comes in many flavors, We went for the nice and comfortable for the most part but resisted getting a generator big enough to run our air conditioner, that wasn't too expensive about $4000.00 in panels, inverter, charger and batteries and it is much cheaper today. Some go with a minimal solar setup and limit their electronic activities to what can be supported. Others go with a multi-thousand watt diesel generator that can run all their air conditioners as well as any other electronics they care to use. You'll find folks all across the spectrum, depending on their financial situation and what they want to do.

If you decide to boondock start out simple by doing what your current RV setup can support and see how you like the lifestyle. If you like it look at the areas of your setup that are less than perfect and decide if it is worth it to you to to make the changes to improve things.

Parks and people are all well and good but nothing can replace (for me) sitting out in the pine trees miles from the crowd for a couple weeks at a time.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have found that I personally stay within my self determined budget by doing several things:

#1. Stay Monthly

#2. Use Passport America discount for the times when I need to stay a night or two in a park with full hookups (READ the various campgrond descriptions on PPA site and notice the discount limitations).

#3. Stay in parking lots while on the road going from one place to another.

#4. Pay close attention to the price of the public parks. Some cost as much as a private commercial park yet has no sewer hookup, cable or internet.

#5. Use alternative transportation. Some towns have bus routes or sometimes you have to call for a pick up. I know of plenty of folks who use bikes, motorized bikes or small scooters to drive around locally rather than their tow or towed.

#6. Eat in. Eating in restaurants will make your cash disappear quickly. And often for a mediocre meal. Even those $1 menus add up. And it's things you can make yourself too. Like solar, setting up to save on food costs will cost you up front. I bought an upright freezer and cleared out a space to put it. Helps me make standard family sized recipes and freeze the leftovers in meal sized amounts. Got the idea from a friend who really goes all out doing that. I can buy a pound or so of hamburger and grill them all up on my little gas grill. I eat one and freeze all the other patties (wrapped individually). When I want a burger, I thaw/heat it in the microwave and it tastes just like a freshly grilled burger (do not cook "well done"). I can now buy more foods and store them. Means fewer trips to the market.

...I'm amazed that some folks can camp so economically!...

As Earl mentioned, you need to understand just how those low costs are achieved and the extra costs that might be incurred but not counted in the calculation of nightly costs. While there are many discussions about using electric heaters to save on propane when electric is available, I rarely see the cost of extra propane used for heat, hot water or cooking discussed when talking about boondocking. Likewise the cost of any generator fuel, additional fuel expended to get water or dump, or even the extra fuel needed to get to and from a remote location and then visit any other locations of interest is rarely if ever included in the calculation of nightly costs. While the cost and efficieny of solar panels has improved, I am not so sure one can camp in the pines or get by on cloudy days without a very robust solar system or considerable energy management. Walmarts, truck stops and other areas that allow overnight stays are used by many while traveling, however; if you follow the recommendations of many to travel 200-250 miles per day, you need to consider whether you want to spend 15-18 hours in a parking lot. Boondocking and blacktop boondocking can be economical, but it is not free.

We have found that BLM, Forest Service and Corps of Engineers campgrounds often offer sites with electric service at nightly costs between $3.00-13.00 with the Senior Pass. However, they rarely offer weekly or monthly rates and often have stay limits of 14-21 days. Travelling the U.S. highways, we have found city parks (even some with hookups) that allow overnights for free or a very reasonable cost. However, they also often have stay limits. Sometimes as short as a day or two.

Happy Camper, Passport America and the Escapees 50% discount parks are a good way to save when traveling. I believe Passport America has the most participating parks and in my experience most Happy Camper and Escapees 50% parks also participate in Passport America so it is not really worth it to have both a Happy Camper and Passport America membership.

Something I also consider when looking for overnight stops is how far off my route a potential stop is. Every 6 miles (12 miles round trip) costs me another gallon of fuel and the time to get there and back.

With time, you will find what works best for you.

Kaybee, it would be nice if you were to let us know if you are still visiting the thread and has the information been helpful? In looking to your profile it seems to indicate that you've not been back since Sept. 30. We do enjoy helping so don't hesitate to ask if there is more that you are seeking! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We averaged $3 a night this summer at the FS pay spots, we get 1/2 off the $6, and part of the time is at free spots. We were gone two months, and spent less than $500 for the summer, and that includes fuel, food, and camp fees. We should be able to cut this amount down, when not covering as much ground.

what is "FS pay spots'

what is "FS pay spots'

The U. S. Forest Service has what is commonly known as an iron ranger. It is a metal post with a slot in it. You fill out a registration tag and put your money in the envelope then insert that into the iron ranger. On some usually unknown schedule a human ranger comes around and collects those envelopes often driving through the campground to see that payments match the rigs.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The U. S. Forest Service has what is commonly known as an iron ranger. It is a metal post with a slot in it. You fill out a registration tag and put your money in the envelope then insert that into the iron ranger. On some usually unknown schedule a human ranger comes around and collects those envelopes often driving through the campground to see that payments match the rigs.

Linda Sand

OK thanks Linda. I will have to do a search on that. I'm always looking for inexperience places to stay for the future when I will be on the road more. Is that the same as the National Forest?

I found this link. http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/

I'm in the Middle of the East coast by the ocean and travel up and down the coast, so I'm very limited on good deals

Kaybee, it would be nice if you were to let us know if you are still visiting the thread and has the information been helpful? In looking to your profile it seems to indicate that you've not been back since Sept. 30. We do enjoy helping so don't hesitate to ask if there is more that you are seeking! :)

Kirk, I'm still around, although have been busy the past week or so and haven't had much time to "play." Everyone has been very helpful, and I really appreciate it. We will be able to make this work just fine; the hard part will be working for a couple more years, watching the stock market, and hoping our investments continue to grow! Again, thank you to everyone who responded!

I set out seven years ago with a budget of $14 a night. I've kept track, and I have come under budget every year. Escapees parks are a better deal than the PPA, and other discount clubs that I've used (yes, I add their fees to the budget). Most also have pretty boondock areas that are even less cost and all the friendliness. Many CGs have boondock available if you ask. With this, and public lands, people who have room for you to park on (you'll meet them later), and monthly rates at pretty nice parks, I am able to spend two months a year at fancy snowbird places for $600-$800 a month, or a winter for $450 a month. I rarely have a dreary night.

Of course I add all my parking fees together and divide by 365. Going to only $14 or less places would not be too great an adventure, unless it was a wide open boondocking in the real boondocks.

About dry camping. I joined the boondockers club and tripped around with them a while. I learned much about living unhooked--both good examples and bad examples. They are real kind to newbies, and never let anything bad happen to my new rig. If you switch the fridge to propane, and cook only with gas or grill, and don't use a lot of appliances, you should be good for two or three days anyway. If you get an inexpensive trickle charger, a week or two; with a more substantial outfit you will be as comfortable as anyone who is hooked up. I see people watching TV in SKP boondocking all the time.

I have had a very nice time traveling in the USA on a small budget. I haven't deprived myself or lived in parking lots. I meet the most interesting people staying over for a little while in a new place and I will look forward to meeting you when you get here.

...I'm always looking for inexperience places to stay for the future when I will be on the road more. Is that the same as the National Forest?

I found this link. http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/

I'm in the Middle of the East coast by the ocean and travel up and down the coast, so I'm very limited on good deals...

Here is a link to a website that lists many many National Forest Campgrounds across the country.

• 1 month later...

All kinds of reasons to choose where you want to be. If you want to follow the sun, security may start being a consideration in the south in season. Right now, we are in a park in AZ where even the coyotes are checked at the gate for ID. Given the experiences we have had in popular seasonal areas with some of the hobo types - on foot and on wheels - we will gladly pay a few extra bucks.

• 1 month later...

We averaged $3 a night this summer at the FS pay spots, we get 1/2 off the $6, and part of the time is at free spots. We were gone two months, and spent less than $500 for the summer, and that includes fuel, food, and camp fees. We should be able to cut this amount down, when not covering as much ground.

Hi! We are planing to go to Dallas in April and visit some relatives in Dallas, Austin, Huston and in Atlanta. We hopefully will rent a motorhome a part of the trip or if someone would like to swap with our motorhome here in Sweden Europe. :)

I´m wondering where I can find information about FS pay spots and if there is a map for this places?

...I´m wondering where I can find information about FS pay spots and if there is a map for this places?...

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

One of the best sources for information about National Forest Campgrounds is the National Forest Campground Guide Website. The Ultimate Public Campground Project Website has a map that shows the location of many National Forest, Bureau of Land Management(BLM), National Park, Corps of Engineers(COE), State, County and local government campgrounds. U.S. Campgrounds is another map based site that shows the location of many public campgrounds. More detailed information about each National Forest and its campgrounds can be found using the Forest Service website.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! Hope you have a Great visit to our country!!!

Cuyono, happy to have you join us here. I also responded to your other post so won't repeat that in this one.

The FS spots that the person references are "Forest Service" campground or a federal government lands which are pretty much nonexistent in the areas around Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Most such lands are located in very rural areas that are well away from the larger cities. Most such sites would be a very long drive from such places. In areas like there your best bet is usually a commercial campground but there could also be state parks nearby as is the case or Austin with McKinney Falls State Park.

Near the Dallas area are several state parks and also US Army, Corps of Engineers parks with camping. It would depend upon where in the Dallas area you want to be as to which might be the best choice as they are around the area but none right in the city of Dallas. Tod be very convenient you will need to have a car as well as the RV since these are major cities with heavy city traffic and there would be no public transportation at the parks campgrounds.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The closest state park near Dallas is almost certainly Cedar Hill SP. It as about 25miles from downtown Dallas but there are other parks within driving distance like Corps of Engineer Parks(COE) but due to traffic could be time consuming to access. It would be helpful to know what part of town your family is located in. Also to be clear are you talking about Atlanta, Georgia as there is an Atlanta, TX and probably and Atlanta in other states.

Archived