Has anybody installed a used Telsa Car battery pack in a RV

stevekk

I see they sell these used on Ebay. About $1300 shipped.

Search.Tesla Model S battery module, 24V, 250Ah, 5.3kWh, 444 Panasonic 18650 3400mAh

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

I don't know of anyone. Interesting. I wonder how easy they are to break apart to reconfigure cells into 12 volt. That is a lot of storage for the price even if used. You could always install it as is for a 24 volt system but I wonder about this water cooling system and BMS geared for an auto. I would be inclined to strip it down and use the cells if possible.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Look like they are composed of 44 3.7V cells. Says Lithium Ion. I would want to make sure they mean LiFePO4 and if not, a lot more research would be in order. At that price you could split a pack with someone and it may well be worth the risk.

Dave and Lana Hasper

IF this post is true they don't use LiFePO4 which is the reason why they have the cooling system and it would be too risky for RV. Worth investigating more though.

Tesla a doesn't use classic Li-Ion. LiFePO4 holds half the energy at a given weight than Tesla's LiNiCoAlO2 (NCA). NCA is much more prone to thermal runaway and not nearly as tolerant to 100% charges so Tesla has to use thermal management to keep it safe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/2z7rry/tesla_battery_vs_byd_battery/

Dave and Lana Hasper

David uses Chevy Volt batteries I think.

I'm more interested in the Tesla powerwall. 14kw of battery for $5.5k now. Price should come down in future. I'm thinking to hang it on the front or rear of 5ver, maybe even on roof, it's only 6 inches thick. It also has in integrated inverter. I'm no electrician, but from what I understand, the inverter/charger issues are much more complicated with lithium batts vs. 6 or 12 volt batts. (based on his presentation at the HDT rally). But with the powerwall having built in 240/120 inverter, if it can stand up to RV use and movement, seems like the perfect solution. https://www.tesla.com/powerwall. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this and there are probably a million reasons why it won't work, but I'm sure the smart people here will figure it out someday.

Specs:

• Usable Capacity13.5 kWh
  • Depth of Discharge100%
  • Efficiency90% round-trip
  • Power7kW peak / 5kW continuous
  • Supported ApplicationsSolar self-consumptionTime of use load shiftingBackupOff grid
  • Warranty10 years
  • ScalableUp to 9 Powerwalls
  • Operating Temperature-4° to 122°F / -20°C to 50°C
  • DimensionsL x W x D: 44" x 29" x 5.5"(1150mm x 755mm x 155mm)
  • Weight264.4 lb / 120 kg
  • InstallationFloor or wall mountedIndoor or outdoor
  • CertificationUL and IEC certifiedGrid code compliant

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I read that ariticle also. The thing they are missing is the new one can be installed flat or on a wall an is even thinner than the first version at 5.5 inchs. Making it perfect for roof mounting IMO. It is about the same size as a solar panel. The voltage discussion comes into play with any lithium battery, as you can read about in David's presentation. My concern is it he durability with on road use vs. static mount in a home. If they still offer a 7kw version for half price, golden.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived