Have a Dish Tailgator antenna and a 211z receiver; no longer can get HD

My satellite service is with Dish Network. I have an about 4-year old Tailgator antenna and a 2-year old 211z receiver. Used to receive HD progamming OK. Last year while on the road I could always get SD signals but almost never HD. I didn't think much about it at the time, figuring the clouds must be attenuating the signal strength. But now we are home (San Diego) and the weather is definitely clear (absolutely no clouds or rain (darn it)) I still only get SD programming, including the local network stations. Note: I crank up the batwing antenna and receive local stations in HD.

I figure either the antenna or receiver or cable is bad. I purchased a new, supposedly high quality RG-6 cable, but still only get SD.

So now, how to tell if it's my receiver or my antenna that is the problem. i don't know.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?

Also, if it turns out the antenna is bad and needs to be replaced, which of the several portable antennas on the market in the $300-$400 range do you suggest?

Glenn

I think most of Dish's HD programming is on the 129 satellite. I just checked HDTV which I'm currently watching...the HD channel is on 129 while the SD channel is on 119.

That being the case, it sounds to me like your Tailgator isn't changing satellites when you select an HD channel.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 months later...

I have this same problem and it only gets worse, 'first the hd drops then you will get intermittent signal on all birds. After doing some research and calling king controls I found a utube on replacing the rubber drive wheel. I pulled my dish apart and had rubber wheel dust in the housing. Following the utube I flipped the wheel I thought. Did not work. I reviewed the tube and discovered I had pulled the wheel but did not flip it. I will do that tomorrow. My wheel was worn just like the one in the utube. I am pretty sure that is our problem. Or you can send it back to king and they will fix for 150.00.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

On your control go to menu and press 6 then 1 then 3 to make sure you are receiving all 3 satellites, if not unplug the reciever to reset it and then after selecting your location and hitting scan make sure it goes to 1 of 3 when it's looking for the satellites. If it finds all 3 and you still don't get HD call Dish to make sure they have you set up for HD.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I have this same problem and it only gets worse, 'first the hd drops then you will get intermittent signal on all birds. After doing some research and calling king controls I found a utube on replacing the rubber drive wheel. I pulled my dish apart and had rubber wheel dust in the housing. Following the utube I flipped the wheel I thought. Did not work. I reviewed the tube and discovered I had pulled the wheel but did not flip it. I will do that tomorrow. My wheel was worn just like the one in the utube. I am pretty sure that is our problem. Or you can send it back to king and they will fix for 150.00.

JB

I opened it up today, reversed the wheel and I was watching TV in 8 minutes. I could clearly see where the wheel was half worn away thus I flipped the wheel over so it would drive the antenna. This is one of these job where the first time is 30 minutes and the second is only 10 minutes. If I did it it must have been easy. Google utube vuqube flex repair rubber drive wheel will get you there.

Good luck

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Archived