LP Tanks

Oscar brings a good point to the discussion. We also have a 90 gallon tank on board, with a stock 20 lb bottle. In the early spring/late fall, the small bottle gets set aside for a 100 lb bottle, but the rest of the year, it's just as it left the factory. Set for the winter, in the Phoenix valley, at least there are at least 2 companies bringing in propane. In Alberta, we don't have anyone local doing small deliveries.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Have had 2x30's in the last two RV's, 20's before that. Never went to the arctic, so 60 pounds lasts a long time. Wouldn't want to lift a 40 up there on a regular basis.

New MH has 80 built in..... So far so good. Lasts a long(er) time and I don't have to lift it.

I've thought about that too, have a 100# built in like a motorhome. Unfortunately, the job does on occasion take me to cold climates so I want to be prepared if necessary. Our last 5'er had 30's and was OK. in 20* weather it was a tank every other day. With our current rig, its a tank every 3-4 days with no sun to help warm us.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Allie & Jim,

You mentioned you were having a "custom" rig built. Perhaps you'd consider adding this little feature.
When I replaced the floor in my bedroom slide, I recessed this loop strategically located directly over the slide-out tray for my propane tanks. When I get to the point when I can no longer pick up my 40# LP tanks, I'll purchase a pulley to help lift the tanks into position.
2ijqgqv.jpg
Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Propane tanks are filled to 80% of capacity, when considered to be full. The space in them is left both to allow for temperature expansion and for the liquid to vaporize before it leaves the bottle as a gas.

propanestats.jpg

Kirk - there "should be" a category on your list for 20# "exchange" bottles!

As others have noted - there is definitely *NOT* 4.7 gallons in a 20# "exchange" bottle.. :(

(also -as noted- it should be "common knowledge")

The reason is (your choice):

1. Profit

2. Due to outside storage - sometimes in full sun and high temps, the suppliers don't want the safety to activate, venting the bottles.

OP - best plan is to know your usage needs/requirements, and choose what works best for you,

:)

OP - best plan is to know your usage needs/requirements, and choose what works best for you,

:)

That's the problem... If I had it my way we would stay in parks that included electric in the monthly rate. Then I would run full electric, but not knowing where the job always takes me.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'll throw in my hat for 30's. "Convenience" #20 tank swaps are rippin expensive, you get less time on them due to the severe low fills and you're adding a considerable amount of dry tank weight vs. capacity. Swapping out 2 #20 tanks with #15's of LP ea. (@36lb's of tank weight) vs. 1 #30 tank @24lb's of tank weight half as often doesn't sound like a good trade off. Dry.. you're only talking a 6lb difference between a #20'r and a #30r.

As others have noted - there is definitely *NOT* 4.7 gallons in a 20# "exchange" bottle.. :(

(also -as noted- it should be "common knowledge")

Exactly!! The other issue is... while they are phasing a lot of them out... some of those tank exchanges still use proprietary valve controls that lock you into only their brand and exchange depots. They can not be re-filled at a standard LP station.

If you know what to look for you can avoid those proprietary valves, but if you happen to catch one... they aren't so "convenient" any more. :P

Not really since that chart is one of tank sizes and capacities. When you have someone fill the bottle, any amount up to the maximum capacity can be put into them and that is beyond the control of the manufacturers. If Ford puts a 20 gallon capacity fuel tank into the car you buy, there is no way that they can guarantee that you will always fill it to the maximum capacity. Pick your vendors to get the tank filled. Since I have only twice used one of those places and only then when I had a tank that was due for recertification, it really isn't a issue that I am concerned about. I'd not go there unless it was the only option other times.

! The other issue is... while they are phasing a lot of them out... some of those tank exchanges still use proprietary valve controls that lock you into only their brand and exchange depots. They can not be re-filled at a standard LP station.

Which companies are doing this? I have two bottle that were older so I did the exchange with them in order to get more recent ones. Since the fitting matches the one on my RV and my other propane using devices, what is it that is unique and prevents any other fill station from refilling them? The Love's just up the road has filled the one I got from Blue Rhino out in CA last spring.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Which companies are doing this? ...what is it that is unique and prevents any other fill station from refilling them?

Blue Rhino is the biggest. But as I said.. they are gradually being phased out. Outwardly they look identical to a standard OPD valve in all respects. Internally, there is a "ball bearing" that "caps" any back/in flow. I believe they call it a tri safe valve(?) Those equipped to re-fill those valves have a magnetic "key" built into the fill connector. It's pulls the "ball bearing" up and out of the way for filling. Standard fill stations are not so equipped, but I would imagine that any place that has blue rhino exchange depots would have the necessary equipment.

You can determine if your tank has a proprietary OPD by looking at the valve stem. If you see a rounded type triangular impression (that's where the "key" fits) then you have a proprietary valve.

Other companies have different variations, but implement the same type of propriety system. I know one other that has a "+" impression, but I don't recall what the others look like. Needless to say.. any valve stem with a seemingly unusual patterned indentation on the stem I would suspect a proprietary valve.

I guess since I brought it up I should also probably make note that for those that use full size tanks to refill 1lb bottles.. the propriety valves won't work. They shut off when inverted.

During my 3 year propane stint, I never ran across a propriety valve, or even heard of them. It would have been a simple case of unscrewing the valve and replacing the assembly. We did this many times when upgrading the tanks to the new OPD system. We filled many Rhino tanks, as long as the owner removed the decals on them.

Greg

Has anybody had any experience with the new fiberglass/polymer tanks?

No. But I've seriously looked into them.

..unless the weight savings is an absolute must.

Which is pretty much the exact conclusion I came to. Unless the weight savings is critical, moving existing tanks is a physical challenge, or, as Oscarvan pointed out.. using them in a highly corrosive environment.. they just don't "figure" financially as replacements. A new rig feature or upgrade... maybe.

Aside from the tanks themselves, they also require replacing your existing tank retention systems/brackets.. more money. Add in the mix that MANY fill stations won't touch them.. it remains a really fantastic innovation, but a bit ahead of it's time in the practical sense.

The mfg's have also had some really poor business models that severely question if or how long they'll be around.

Just for fun.. I occasionally go to their "find a filler" page. Of the 10 states where I typically spend 90% of my time... there are a grand total of 12 fill stations. Most of those having around 2 fill stations per state, 1 having 1 and 3 states having none at all.

Having to drive 300-700 miles for a fill doesn't work for me, but those predominately staying in the Eastern states would likely have a lot more options... although not nearly as many as a standard LP tank.

Just my personal take on them. YMMV

Just for fun.. I occasionally go to their "find a filler" page. Of the 10 states where I typically spend 90% of my time... there are a grand total of 12 fill stations. Most of those having around 2 fill stations per state, 1 having 1 and 3 states having none at all.

Thinking back, there are maybe 3-4 western states that I have not tried to purchase or not noted a fill station. All other states had a abundant refill stations but some of those location could have been 5 years ago.

My curiosity wonders which states have little to no fill stations so If i return I can be prepared.

Another reason to use tanks bigger than the 20#, when filling many state sell by the gallon instead of the full weight. I don't remember where but the pricing went something like this.

WE SELL BY THE GALLON $2.50/ gallon 20 # = $12 30# up to $17.50 40# up to $23.50 or if the bigger bottle wasn't empty you didn't pay extra.

I have 2 - 40# tanks and like that I don't go as often for refills another saving so as long as My 70+ year old body can moved them I will use them.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived