RV Storage in Arizona . recommendations?

aziamaiza

We've decided to store our 5th (40ft Cedar Creek 2008) in AZ for three months plus (January thru early April) as we'll be out of the country during that period. Can anyone offer any recommendations for outdoor storage? Ideally we'd like a place close to I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix that is relatively safe and relatively cheap. TIA

Pack rats are all over not just in southern AZ. How could you be sure that they are around the storage facility or not? A precaution is to use a light or strip lights under the RV but most storage areas don't have electric access. Then you go to mothballs. We hung a mesh bag full of mothballs in the engine compartment and never had an issue. Remember to put a note on the steering wheel to remind yourself to remove the bag before driving. It might touch something hot and start a fire.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I know Picacho Peak has storage and it's about half way between Phoenix and Tucson. Don't know what they charge but may be worth a call. It's a nice place and should be safe. http://www.picachopeakrvpark.com/

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

From another thread, I feel somewhat safer storing the RV in an RV park as opposed to letting it sit in a field.

Dunno, doesn't really make sense but if I was an RV I think I'd prefer being around other active RV's than being put out to grass, as it were.

The RV park in Pikachu Peak only serves residents. Nice location but that's out of the equation now.

Rparkfin in Marana charges $55 for a 40ft w/electric. I'm leaning towards this right now...my guess is that I'll set the thermostat to 55 so as to maintain a steady temperature. Does anyone have any thoughts either way - need for electric hook up in AZ Jan thru Mar.

TIA

M

Also, regarding the pack rats issue:

Lived in Tucson (2003 -2013) in our sticks n bricks days and my trusty mechanic once found evidence of pack rats in our family car. Fortunately managed to nip it in the bud but I've heard of others that weren't so lucky. It's a bit of a crap shoot in my opinion.

Do the moth balls really work?

I ask because in one of our summer sojourns in Yellowstone (Lake), at the behest of a fellow camper who swore by them, I religiously placed blue bars of Irish Spring soap on top of all the tires and in a couple of outside compartments. Granted there was long grass (no mowing in YNP) but guess who received the first mouse visitors?

Archived