Buy Appropriate Insurance! What a disaster!

BigRich

I've learned a lesson from your experience Big Rich. I was thinking of switching back to Good Sam MH insurance to save money while not using the MH- not now! I'll stay with Winnebago MH insurance, it's $300/yr less anyway.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I am afraid to bring this up as I don't want to get the insurance company's attention, I would think hail could be an acto of God or a tornado. I have been paid for hail damage. And flooded cars have been covered.

That is because you had current "comprehensive" coverage, which is what the OP said he let drop since his vehicle was in storage. You have heard the term "collision and comp"? Collision coverage covers your car when you hit the tree while driving. Comprehensive covers the car when the tree falls on it while it is parked.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Liability and collision are the commonly dropped insurances for storage. Comprehensive is normally the coverage you would leave on it to cover fire, hail, theft, vandalism, flooding, lightning, etc. Too bad your agent didn't advise instead of letting you make an incorrect assumption/decision. This is a lesson to all. Share what you are doing/ trying to accomplish with your agent so they can advise you the best choice for accomplishing what you want.

On a side note --- collision coverage should also be left in force if the rv/auto will be somewhere that is could be hit by another vehicle.

Pat DeJong

• 2 weeks later...

We recently learned a painful lesson. Years ago when we purchased a truck camper my wife asked whether we needed to insure it separately. The agent told her "no, if it's in or being towed by your truck, it is considered an extension of the vehicle coverage". What she did not say is that coverage is only liability. So, when my camper was recently whacked by a rogue deer, breaking out the corner where the camper jack mounts, we were left on our own to repair. Any future RV's will now have comprehensive. Live and learn... and learn, and learn :).

Those signs on parking lots and such that say they are not responsible for any damage, etc. etc. are not necessarily legally binding. You cannot absolve yourself from liability just by posting a sign, or all of us would do it on any property we own.

Check with a lawyer about any liability the dealer or storage lot owners may have, regardless of those posted signs or even paragraphs in a contract.

Rich:

We were needing some door parts for our MH. Stopped at Colaw Salvage in Carthage, MO. They sold the A/C units, water heaters, furnaces, bay doors, entrance doors, windows, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, seats, etc, etc. I know that that was their business, but with the free classifieds available here, and other forums, It seems that you should very well be able to make more than they are offering. We found the parts there but had to pay $ 50.00 which was high, but we had been unable to find them anywhere else.

I realize that there is a great "hassle" factor involved, but this is certainly an alternative if you wish to take it.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived