VPN on MAC and IPAd

So, I get a weekly email about Apple stuff and this past week they said everyone with a smart phone needs VPN. I had been thinking about this for awhile. I downloaded a program called "Hide My A$&." It was easy to do and it seems very simple. However, I have one problem. I use MAC's email program and I can't send email when I have the VPN turned on. I tried using their help but it seems above my pay grade. Anyone have experience with this and could help a guy out?

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

I'm no expert on the subject of VPN but my son travels internationally and first talked with me about it a couple of years ago. I had mentioned to him that I was using the free Wi-Fi services at campgrounds, restaurants, etc and he said, "not a good idea without a VPN". He told me most of the free VPN services were lacking in one aspect or another but there were some relatively inexpensive VPN services that did the job. After talking with him and doing some research, I settled on PIA, private internet access. I think the yearly fee is just under $40. If you go to tech bargains.com, it will sometimes show up there at a discount along with a couple of other VPN services. I have used PIA for two years now with my MacBook Pro, wife iPad and both iPhone 6's. I think you can access the service with up to five devices for the one time yearly fee. So far, so good with the service. Setting up the service on your devices can be challenging the first time around but their tech support via email is pretty good and quick. PIA doesn't seem to slow down the speed too much and allows connections all over the world. It does cover email along with internet browsing. I am sure others have more input that I do on Virtual Private Networks so take what I am saying with a grain of salt and see what your research shows.

2016 Arctic Fox 25Y and 2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed, DRW, 6.7 power stroke

So, I get a weekly email about Apple stuff and this past week they said everyone with a smart phone needs VPN. I had been thinking about this for awhile. I downloaded a program called "Hide My A$&." It was easy to do and it seems very simple. However, I have one problem. I use MAC's email program and I can't send email when I have the VPN turned on. I tried using their help but it seems above my pay grade. Anyone have experience with this and could help a guy out?

I'm not sure if i got it right. MAC shouldn't block mails unless it's been explicitly defined in the settings. you can google it up. i had the same problem but i was on ivacy vpn instead, but i think they all work the same way. i got it working when i called their support so maybe you can call your support and have it figured out...unless you already did that. also, do ask them if they can configure it via remote access.

Also check out the free Opera browser. On my Mac, it includes a very effective ad blocker and VPN built in the browser. If you email using your browser then that also has VPN. I assume it is also available on iPhones.

Then, on Android devices, I also use the free Opera browser along with their free Maxx VPN service. Again, fully protected by VPN.

The only problem I've found with Opera and its VPN is that some secure connections will not allow you in because they can't identify you. So in those few instances I use Chrome, but only when I am on a known private access point.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Also check out the free Opera browser. On my Mac, it includes a very effective ad blocker and VPN built in the browser. If you email using your browser then that also has VPN. I assume it is also available on iPhones.

Then, on Android devices, I also use the free Opera browser along with their free Maxx VPN service. Again, fully protected by VPN.

The only problem I've found with Opera and its VPN is that some secure connections will not allow you in because they can't identify you. So in those few instances I use Chrome, but only when I am on a known private access point.

John

Ditto! I do the same on my MacBook, PC, and Andoid phone! No problem since over a year back.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Support with the Hide My A$& VPN was helpful and now it is working. Thanks all.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

John

Sadly Opera is not a true VPN service its a poxy service not the same thing. Opera servers 'see' all your traffic.

https://www.bestvpn.com/opera-browser-free-vpn-review/

Archived