Dramatic Increase to Texas Vehicle Registrations

bigboomer

Fine, if the state raises license fees that is one thing. But to play these games and disguise it as a "safety inspection" is a bit much. Just be honest, please. Most people understand the need for reasonable increases in revenues, but what Texas is doing is unacceptable.

Only a politician would argue a difference between a fee and a tax. No matter what you call it, its money out of your pocket.

I don't think anyone was arguing the difference between a fee and a tax. I was just clarifying the difference between registration fees and the safety inspection. There's nothing new about the safety inspection and it has not increased in cost (as your first post implies). The proposal is to increase the registration fees.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

But, but, but....The state legislators are planning on REDUCING taxes in the state by 4 Billion dollars. Why would anyone complain about things like increasing fees! :wacko:

A big chunk of the proposed tax reduction comes in the form of forcing the school districts to cap the LOCAL school property taxes. It would be nice if the state wants to reduce taxes, then they do it at the "state" level an not dictate to the local entities how much taxes they need or can raise.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

"all kinds of bills can be submitted, but that doesn't mean they'll pass."

Frequently done for show and "bragging" about what they did or what they "stand" for. Great for campaigning.

Sometimes it is nice to think that a legislature might know when "NOT" to legislate. Sometimes doing nothing is a good thing.

I just received a response from my representative for Livingston, Rep. James White after I wrote him via his website and his responded that he is not in favor of the bill in its present form and believes that there are other ways to raise the necessary funds including stopping the use of transportation funding for all non transportation issues and projects and also to stop using funding raised on regular roads and bridges and not toll roads which already raise their own income.

Refreshing that he took the time to write back so soon. I am praying that he will abide by what he has written and will continue to monitor his actions on this issue.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I just received a response from my representative for Livingston, Rep. James White after I wrote him via his website and his responded that he is not in favor of the bill in its present form and believes that there are other ways to raise the necessary funds including stopping the use of transportation funding for all non transportation issues and projects and also to stop using funding raised on regular roads and bridges and not toll roads which already raise their own income.

Refreshing that he took the time to write back so soon. I am praying that he will abide by what he has written and will continue to monitor his actions on this issue.

So glad you received a quick response. Jim Koca, Escapees Avocacy Director is still in Austin and has been in touch Rep. White and his staff on a regular basis. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The safety inspection has not changed. It is still $14.50. What's in discussion here is an increase in registration fees.

Hmmmm. Last week, I had our truck, 5th wheel and motorcycle inspected for $7 each. Guess I got a great deal!

Does the co$t for inspection vary from county to county? I inspected all three while staying with friends in Madison County which is about an hour west of Livingston.

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

The inspection fee is still about $14 or so. $7 is paid to the inspection station who enters the inspection result into the state's database. The remaining $7 or so is added to the registration fee when you send it in. I don't think the total fee has changed as yet. It is still registration fee plus inspection fee.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

TXCowboy is correct. We finished our inspections and registrations a few weeks back and it was $7 at inspection and $7 at time of registration.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

TXCowboy is correct. We finished our inspections and registrations a few weeks back and it was $7 at inspection and $7 at time of registration.

OOPs. I stand corrected. Our total was $14 as I did pony-up an add'l $7 at the county clerk's office during registration. Thanks for the math lesson!

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

the new inspection rules is causing me problems. I hadn't had to move for a few months. Job changes is when we move. My tags are dead and can't get them until I move due to inspections. Oh I could set up for moving, pull slides in, hook up and tow to inspection station. Then come right back and set it all back up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...

Archived