Pull-rite Auto Slider 5th wheel hitch banging

capt307

Hello all,

Just returned from a 2 week trip to Myrtle Beach. About 1600 miles round trip. My issue with my auto slider hitch is the banging on starts and stops. I have adjusted the adjustment bolt on the front side as tight as I can but it still does it. Every time i start moving or stop the hitch bangs. Sat for an hour in stop and go interstate traffic and it was driving me bonkers. Resorted to using the trailer brakes to do my stopping so to keep the hitch moving in the truck during the traffic jam.

Anybody else run into problems like this? Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for any input.

How old is the hitch? The one I had did the same thing until I replaced the tension stop bolt with an updated design. When it's tight, standing over the hitch in the bed of the truck, you should just barely be able to rotate the hitch. I had to pull hard rearward on the release arm to make mine move. It seems that I adjusted mine every time we traveled for 3-4k miles then it just held its position.

It is a great hitch though. Call Pullrite and they will send any needed parts.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We just got the hitch 2 months ago when we purchased the truck and the 5th wheel. I also have the tension cranked to where it takes a little effort to turn the head to slide back. I do notice that it doesn't slide around anymore when I don't have the trailer attached. It did help that. I cannot get it to reproduce the banging unless I have the trailer hooked up and towing. Not sure what else could be moving. I am going to call pull-rite next week. I really am not sure I even need the slider at this point. The nose it pretty angled at the corners and seems to be a lot if turning room even with my standard bed truck.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Just returned from a 2 week trip to Myrtle Beach. About 1600 miles round trip. My issue with my auto slider hitch is the banging on starts and stops. I have adjusted the adjustment bolt on the front side as tight as I can but it still does it. Every time i start moving or stop the hitch bangs. Sat for an hour in stop and go interstate traffic and it was driving me bonkers. Resorted to using the trailer brakes to do my stopping so to keep the hitch moving in the truck during the traffic jam.

Anybody else run into problems like this? Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for any input.

You want the forward stop assembly tight enough that it takes everything you got to engage the cam arm into the travel slots in the base. I have found that if you remove the hitch plate head, it makes adjusting that forward stop assembly a little easier. Once you find the correct tightness, tighten the jam nut as hand tight as you can get it. This will prevent movement of the bolt, while using a ratchet and a 15/16'' socket on the bolt sticking out of the back of the stop assembly. And a standard 15/16" wrench for the jam nut wedged up against the stop assembly. Get the assembly as tight as you can.

Also, the banging around in start and stop traffic is a common problem for new Pullrite superglide owners. Usually adjusting the forward stop assembly and the brake controller on the 5r are what fixes the issue. I don't know about others, but I want that trailer to stop my truck, not the truck stopping the weight of the trailer.

I found out from personal experience that despite experiencing some of the common problems associated with pullrite’s SuperGlide hitches they took the time to understand the problem I was having, and walked me though fixing it. Remember to lubricate your hitch with a light oil based lubricant, such as WD-40 or 3-1 oil.

Another important nut to check and tighten is the cam roller nut. I started noticing I had to adjust the front tension bolt too frequently, and discovered the nut on the roller bearing had come loose. Once I resolved the loose nut on the bearing, I was back to an occasional adjustment of the front tension bolt. I checked to see if there was a torque value for the bearing nut, and discovered there isn't one, so just tightened as tight as I could get it without using a cheater on my socket wrench.

Another important nut to check and tighten is the cam roller nut. I started noticing I had to adjust the front tension bolt too frequently, and discovered the nut on the roller bearing had come loose. Once I resolved the loose nut on the bearing, I was back to an occasional adjustment of the front tension bolt. I checked to see if there was a torque value for the bearing nut, and discovered there isn't one, so just tightened as tight as I could get it without using a cheater on my socket wrench.

57Becky, Good point. What model hitch do you have? When I was on the phone with PullRite that was one of the areas that they were concerned with. They told me there was two types of roller assemblies. One assembly has a castle nut and a cotter pin the other was a conventional nut. I was told the conventional nut, as that's the kind on the model 2900 should be torqued down to 151lbs.

Archived