CLASS OF 2016

Well we made 2 reservations, one for the 17th of June at Dames Ferry Campground, a utility held campground with full hookups. The DW likes that idea so she doesn't have to worry about how much water is going into the holding tanks. The other is for the 4th of July (yes I made it :lol: ) for Indian Springs State Park. Sure wish the state parks in Georgia would lower their rates a bit. $28 a night is high compared to the utilitys price of $18. Not only that, but you have to reserve a minimum of 3 nights on a holiday weekend. Oh well, at least we get to go somewhere.

Found an exhaust leak on the truck at the exhaust manifold. Will have to fix that this weekend. Its going to consist of drilling out the old bolt, (broken) and putting in a new one. Hopefully the other bolts won't break when I try to take them out to fix the already broken one. Will be using plenty of wd40 on this one.

The grandkids got back from their trip and they had a wonderful time. They are glad to be home, though. They visited the Statue of Liberty on Ellis Island and the Smithsonian to name a couple. My oldest granddaughter enjoyed the Laying of the Wreath at the Veterans Memorial the best. Wonder where she got that from. :rolleyes:

Well that's about it for today. Hope everyone gets to go RVing more than last year. I know I'm ready.

Jim and Pam, do you have that camper reserved for your tryout weekend yet?

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png
imadtchmn (I'm a Dutchman)
1998 Chevy Silverado Dually 6.5L TB Diesel w/plenty of power mods
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33LRK 3 slides
Class of 2016 Come visit our Class

event.png

We're getting there one day at a time. Wishing for a fast forward button.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh!!! The joys of Rving, well the thought of it anyways. The weekend of the 17th we will forego our 1st trip with the new to us 5th wheel. Now I'll get the chance to see how it tows with all our things in it. We're not going far just yet. Just a weekend getaway. The campground we are going to is owned by a local utility company and I stopped by there last weekend and took a look at the spot we had reserved. Love it! Its right on the lake with large trees providing plenty of shade throughout the day. Even has full hookups and not badly priced. Wish I would have found this spot sooner. This trip will be for the DW and myself only. No grandkids, no kids, just her and I. Seems most times we have everyone in the family coming to see us when we take off somewhere. This time, its just for some 'only us' time.

Been working on the 5th wheel to make sure things are ready. Checked lights, seals, locks, etc. After we get back, it will be wheel bearing check and suspension workover. The 4th of July weekend, we will be traveling further, so I want to make sure all is ok. After the 4th, I'll be seeing about making more reservations to other campgrounds for many more weekend getaways. Don't want to sit too long in one place. Might get old doing that. :D

Well hope those that read about this class enjoy what others and myself write. Sometimes I have things to say, other times I just ramble. Let's hear from others in the forums sometimes, how their trips are going, new places to see and adventures you are on. Kinda gets boring just writing to myself, but it does give a timeline of what I do and when.

Happy RVing everyone.

logo.png

event.png

Well we had a bit of a setback. Seems the hot water heater in the stick and bricks sprung a leak, a big leak. Call the insurance company and at first they stated that this incident wasn't covered. I asked for her supervisor and spoke with him. Guess what, it is covered. I knew it was since I got a beefed up coverage that covers almost everything including full replacement cost.

The company that does the drying out has had their blowers and dehumidifiers in there since last Thursday and maybe today we will be able to get back in there. The contractors should be coming sometime this week and the insurance agent that I am having to deal with has been updated by her supervisor.

I am estimated about $3000 - $4000 in damages to floor, wall, carpet, and return line. The only thing the stated they would not pay for is the water heater. Well $750 is better than paying for it all.

We are still going on our camping trip on the 17th. Not much would stop us doing that. Just have to get some time to relax and this seems like a good reason to do that.

Take care everyone and enjoy the summertime. "Honey, you ready to go into the pool?"

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just Registered

I have been reading posts for weeks. I have started my count-down to full timing. My goal is 2015 but can handle 2016 if have to. Just started selling my lifetime of collecting. Currently have a 4000 sq ft house crammed full. I figure it will take 2-4 yrs to sell off. Lots of things I have owned for 40+ years. I am still undecided on type of 5'er. I really need a toy hauler so I can transport a couple of HARLEYS, but hate losing that living space, plus seems like the Toy Haulers are more geared for interior durability not interior comfort. So I have a few yrs to decide. Just sold my 30' 5'er and Dodge Deisel, it wasn't big enough to live in. So far the Montana 3750 FL is the one that sticks out, I really like that front living area. But then no way to haul bikes. I could buy a 40+ ft TH but with a 12-14' garage that's back down to a 28-30 ft living space which I know is too small. Oh the delima !!!! So anyway HELLO to you guys and dolls. I will continue to read and search until it's open the wallet time.

OCC

Welcome OCC. Glad to have you with us. I agree, getting rid of things does take a long time. I had 2000 sq ft of stuff to get rid of and most of that went to my children. It took us about 1 1/2 years to clear out our things and still have a shed that's packed. Mostly tools and winter items. That will be staying put. DW's orders.

We have a 35 footer with 2 slides and yes it takes some getting use to. We have been living in ours since February and it's not bad. We do plan to get a 3 slide 35 footer in the next few years though. Like the idea of the bedroom slide with the front closet. Just not enough space to hang clothes in this one, though everything else is good.

Did take a trip this past weekend to Dames Ferry Campground and really enjoyed the time away from work. Peaceful and quiet. Loved being right on the lake, though a bad wind storm did hit us the first night and rocked us to sleep. :D Did find out that I'll have to get another TV. The dually I have just is not strong enough to pull this 5'er. Searching for a newer TV will be in the works for me prior to getting a newer 5'er. Oh how the money does go. Oh well, can't take it with me and I don't plan to stop fulltiming any time soon. Will be glad when retirement comes. Can't wait.

Again, welcome to our class and remember, if you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it. B)

logo.png

event.png

I tried adding to this post, but it didn't seem to go through. This is only a test.

Nancy, I actually joined the 2012 class, however 2016 may be more realistic for us. DH is planning on retirement when he is 65 as we need his Medicare coverage for insurance for him. We just got our 2011 Grand Junction 5ver and 2002 Dodge Ram HD with tow package. We need to get the hitch but since we are already set up for a gooseneck we are going with a companion hitch. We are on the fence with what to do with our house and 4 acres. We offered it to both kids and neither are jumping on. So we are considering just renting it out. We really hate to give up the property and the selling market is in the dumper! When we first decided to go full time I was thinking this was great. Then started working on the house and just got overwhelmed with leaving everything. Still have pains, like this morning about 4 am, woke up to the coyotes howling and yodeling which have always brought me comfort during the night. But then I start working on our Bucket List of places we want to go and see and I get excited about seeing new places. We are going back to Michigan to visit family in about 2 weeks and really wish we could take the RV but alas we will not have a hitch by then. Besides we still need to learn how to drive the beast, as neither of us has done this. LOL Now that's going to be an adventure! Both our kids are married with families, only my daughter lives nearby, but I am tired of fighting with their inlaws for time around the holidays and adding to their stress so we decided we would start doing our own thing. I will miss my 4 year grandson, he is my doll. He says that just he and I will live in the RV! I certainly could see taking him on a couple of trips with us in the summer. He really makes me laugh.

My DH keeps asking me when I am going to start loading the RV, I have no idea where to begin. We have to get new sheets due to having a king bed in the RV and we have a queen in the house. I have plenty of towels, blankets that type of thing. We used to tent camp when the kids were little so I am tracking down all that stuff to see if there is anything I can use. I certainly know what you mean about giving up the house and will be soon myself. Please feel free to vent with me and maybe we can get through this together.

Mike and Cindy

2011 38' Grand Junction 5th wheel

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

w/tow package

two cats-Snuffy and Buster

This is the DW of SloPoke. I do NOT have a problem getting rid of the extraneous stuff in our life. I am a firm believer in the "Less is More" way of life. Now, SloPoke is another story. He can rid himself of useless "junk", but it will take him 30 years!!!!!!! My treasures are in Heaven, and what I have on earth, I am more than happy to "dump on" our children, as it will be their's sooner or later, so why not sooner?!?!?!?!. :D:rolleyes: So, update your faith, roll up your sleeves, and get to work. Life on the road will be so much more glorious in a simpler frame of mind. How do I get SloPoke moving?

When you get him moving, let me know I need to use that too!

Mike and Cindy

2011 38' Grand Junction 5th wheel

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

w/tow package

two cats-Snuffy and Buster

Well we took our first trip out this past weekend to a campground about 40 miles from the homestead. I need to weigh this thing, get a newer, lighter 5vr or get a bigger truck. Maybe all three.

We did have a great weekend though and loved being right on the water. Its not a big campground and was quiet. The first night we had a really bad wind storm and being right on the lake, we got the brunt of it. Fortunetly, it was hitting the rear of the 5vr so rocking was not too bad.

The kids and grandkids came up on Sunday and we enjoyed the day. Paid for a late checkout and had loads of fun. The grandkids swam, hunted for rocks and shells, and did a little fishing too. Amazing how much they can do in a day.

I'll be adding more information about our days there in my journal listed in my signature below. Have full all and enjoy.

Harley & Nancy Ludden - welcome to our class.

To add to an addition to an entry, just click on the reply button and add your entry below the last closing quote </quote>

Hope this helps.

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

Well here we are, halfway through 2011 and getting ready to go off RV'ing again. Where has the time gone? Seems the older you get, the faster the days go by. Not that I am complaining about it. I do want retirement to hurry up, just hope after retirement, time slows down some. :blink:

This trip will be to Indian Springs State Park. Made reservations about 3 months or so ago to make sure we would have a spot. My DS will be taking his TT also, so it will be kind of a caravaan going up there. 2 RV's and 3 vehicles behind that. Hope no one is in a rush to get there.

Found out from the campsite, that we will be able to check in early on Friday morning. We will leave the S&B about 9 am and will be there about 10 or 10:30 barring any issues on the trip. Maybe the buddy campsite will be open. If so, we claim it. :D

Well hope everyone has a happy 4th of July weekend. Stay safe and keep things slow.

logo.png

event.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since I wrote in here. Had a lot of things happen over the past few weeks, some good some not so good. My son-in-law has been going to the hospital for some testing to see why he is throwing up blood but they still have not figured out why. That has us somewhat worried. The heat has been oppressive and has slowed us down a bit. On the bright side, I found the leak in our above ground pool and was able to fix it. Hurray, swimming at home is on again!

We are still staying in our 5'ver and still loving it. This weekend we will be headed for High Falls State Park, Ga. This will be our first time there and hopefully will be all it states on their site. We will be taking the grandkids with us on this trip since it will probably be their last before school starts August 10th. We have fishing, swimming and hiking planned. Not sure how much we will be able to do, since this will be a 2 day camping affair. We'll do what we can and have fun doing it.

We do have a family trip scheduled for Labor Day weekend but at this time, not sure who is all going. If no one else goes, we will still have fun with having a lake almost at our front door. Hmm, just remembered, I haven't updated my trip journal from the last trip yet. Must remember to do that when I get a chance. Have plenty of pictures to upload also.

Let me hear from some of you. Gets lonely here at times. Besides, how are you going to be able to remember what you did when, if you don't write about it. It may help others to see what and how you are doing things to get ready for fulltiming and actually see how long that process may take.

You all take care and have fun. Don't let the end of summer stop you from enjoying life and the outdoors.

logo.png

event.png

Well we just got back from a weekend trip to High Falls State Park, GA. Must admit, its a nice campground, however, the hill going in and out is steep. It put a lot of strain on the drive train of the TV. Used 1st gear all the way up and really began to wonder if I would make it. Felt better when 2nd gear kicked in. Whew!!!

The camping area we had looked like it was an old hosting site and had a double parking area. Really a nice large area and kind of secluded from others. The central camping area had a green area between the campers where kids could play and bicycling was everywhere. Lots of kids playing and just enjoying themselves. One thing I did not like was that we could not get in the lake for swimming and were not allowed in the river. Really a shame that a few people had to sue the state due to stupidity and they were forced to make this regulation. There is, however, a public swimming pool located within the park that charges $5.00 per person to use. It is a nice sized pool and maintained very well. The owners are friendly and treat you like they have known you all their life.

The grandkids and I hiked some of the trails and walked along the river. Took some beautiful pictures of the river and lake. The river was way down due to the lack of rain we have had this year. Really been a drought. We are somewhere around 13 inches short for this year. The falls just had a bit of water coming over them and did not have the spectacular showing of water that it normally has.

We did some fishing on the lake, but luck was not on our side this time. No bites. I guess it has just been too warm for fish to be hungry. Even my lures could not get them to come out. Maybe next time will be better.

Well that's it for now. Have fun and keep the dirty side down, bright side up. B)

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess it had to happen sometime. <_< The TV went down on me. Fortunetely it was near home and not towing. I was reading in the diesel forums about issues with the 99 chevy diesels and I got hit before I could afford to do the changes I wanted to make. Guess I'll have to do them now. No choice. It will cost about $500.00 in parts, but when I get done, at least that will be some other things I won't have to worry about.

Now if I can just find the parts I need. Some are so hard to find and they want an outrageous price. :angry: One part is an APPS which goes on the accelerator pedal. Didn't realize this diesel was an accelerate by wire. Looking at about $400.00 for that alone.

The other is a modification I figured I would do while its down to keep from breaking down on the road and will also give me a bit more horsepower ;) I don't have anyone near me that I know that could pull the 5ver back home if that happens.

Well you all have fun while I get this thing back on the road again. Have to have it ready by Labor Day weekend. Reservations are waiting!

logo.png

event.png

Well $200.00 lighter in the pocketbook, but did find the parts to fix the TV. I'll be putting them on this weekend and hopefully have it running better than before. I'm also taking care of some things that could become issues and adding a little bit more horsepower to it. Really don't want to trade it in. I've gotten to know it inside and out and I really do like it.

My son decided not to buy the TT so now I have to fix up some minor things and do a good detailing on it and get it ready to put up for sale. I'll be taking the proceeds from that and putting it into savings to add to our finances for a newer 5ver. Plan to do that in about 3-4 years. In the mean time, will be doing some mods to the current 5ver. Never too much fun.

We will be going out on Labor Day Weekend for what may be our last outing of this year. Oh, we don't plan to move back into the stick and brick, but will be staying near there for a bit. If we don't like that, we can always move to another place thats close to work.

You all have fun and take care. Be safe on the upcoming holidays.

1848 days

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

Another week has gone by and the TV is now running fine thanks to some good people at thetruckstop.us forum. Sure glad there are understanding people there and they are more than willing to help. If you have any issues with your TV diesel, go there for assistance. They are great at walking you through problems.

I am almost finished with the TT. Still have to shampoo the carpet, replace some trim work and wipe everything down on the inside. I'll give it a good washing after the hurricane passes by. Not sure atm where it will hit, so don't want to have to wash it twice. Also found out the battery is not any good, so went and got another battery for it. More out of pocket expense, but I don't want to sell it without a good battery. It is also out of propane. :( dang! Oh well, might as well get some in one of the bottles and pick up some black spray paint for the rear bumper to cover up some scratches.

Other than working, we are looking forward to taking some time off on Labor Day weekend. Have reservations made and fishing pole ready B)

Take care and enjoy life to the fullest.

1842 days

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

double post sorry!

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

Glad to read that you got the TV working again. It is a bit un-nerving when your vehicle doesn't run. :(

On the home front, I got my den two-thirds cleaned out. Hey, at least I can see what color rug I have in there.

Next month is the guy's fishing trip to Bodega Bay which is north of San Francisco. A week of camping at the county park and salmon fishing. Can't get any better. :rolleyes:

SloPoke

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Glad to read that you got the TV working again. It is a bit un-nerving when your vehicle doesn't run. :(

On the home front, I got my den two-thirds cleaned out. Hey, at least I can see what color rug I have in there.

Next month is the guy's fishing trip to Bodega Bay which is north of San Francisco. A week of camping at the county park and salmon fishing. Can't get any better. :rolleyes:

SloPoke

It sure is un-nerving. Had to make arrangements every day to get to work and back. Glad to see you are progressing on your clean-outs. One room at a time and before you know it, its done! Sure wish I was fishing for salmon. Love smoked salmon. Yummers! We will be taking off on Labor Day Weekend for a county park for 4 days of luxury. Fishing, swimming, hiking, and what ever else comes along. Really looking forward to it. It will truely be a well deserved, relaxing weekend.

BTW, nice hearing from you all again. Don't forget to take some pictures of the salmon. :) Happy Camping.

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well Labor Day Weekend has come and gone. The end of RV'ing for this year? I think not!. This past weekend we spent close to home at Arrowhead Campground in Macon, Ga. Overall, it was a fairly nice campground for getting hit in 2008 by a tornado. The showers were nicely kept and clean. They seem to have been updated lately. New tile and walls. Beautiful interior. Wish the water was warmer though. Just lukewarm.

We were able to help other part-time campers during our stay and that made us feel great. One camper just got his tent up and had everything else on his picnic table. A single parent with 2 little boys. It started pouring down rain on him, so my daughter and I helped him get all his things inside the tent as quickly as possible.

Finally got some fishing in and caught some catfish and crappie. They were too small to keep, but after getting skunked all year, just catching something made me feel better. Did some swimming the first day there and enjoyed chuckling at some of the part-timers trying to back in their campers. Did offer my help, but they were determined to do it themselves. Guess they wanted to learn how to do it.

Fun is in learning as long as you don't get mad about it. Overall, it was a good weekend, even with the rain at times and the cooler than I like showers.

Next trip, back to Indian Springs State Park, Jackson, GA. Hurray!!!!

logo.png

event.png

• 1 month later...

Well plans have changed. Yup, living a lifestyle like this, it's bound to happen. Was looking forward to camping again at Indian Springs in Jackson, Ga., but our son called and asked if we could trailer up all of the items he was storing at our place. Between the truck and utility trailer I have, we should be able to get most, if not all his stuff up there for him. It means giving up a camping trip, but then, we do get to see him for a couple of days. Nothing like an 850 mile road trip.

We will leave on Veterans Day and be back on Sunday. I feel sore muscles coming up. I still have to fix the front end on the truck and some other minor issues I want to take care of, but we are looking forward to the trip. If I could have carried all his things in the 5ver, I would have taken it, but just too much weight would be added.

We have begun planning for a trip to Memphis, TN for the first part of the new year. I am determined to get there one way or another. I think a trip to Georgia Veterans Memorial Park will be first as a test run of a somewhat longer trip. This will be about 125 mile trip and will allow me to check over things before making a 500 mile trip. I like to err on the side of caution. Hmm, that reminds me, need to repack the 5ver wheel bearing and adjust the brakes on it.

Well another update and another month has gone by. Only 1779 days to go till retirement, or is that freedom? Be safe and careful out there. Till next time.

logo.png

event.png

• 4 weeks later...

This is not exactly RV related but I figured I would post it anyways. This past weekend we traveled to Jacksonville, NC to visit our DS. We didn't take the 5'ver, however we were amazed at the number of RV's in the area. Many of them looked to be permanently parked in RV parks near the beach. They even were up on cinder blocks. Found out that some of the parks were charging $3000.00 per year for permanent parking. Not a bad price. That's $250.00 a month. Hmmm, I was thinking about taking the TT I have and maybe parking it up there for when we visit him. It's a possibility.

The wife loved the area and really didn't want to come back home. Can't say that I blamed her. She hasn't been anywhere outside of Georgia in 8 years. Next year we will be doing alot of out-of-state camping. She is also planning a 1 month vacation to visit our DS and give us a break from each other. No, we're not ill with each other, however we do like to do this once in a while. Helps to keep the marriage strong. She gets to do what she wants, and I get to do the same.

Winter is coming and time to get the TT ready for it. Yes, I have a 5'ver and a TT. Draining the tanks, powering down everything in there, putting on the battery maintainer, etc. Also have to put on some new tires on it. Will be selling it in the spring if not sooner. Will be doing brake maintenance on the 5'ver also, so I have plenty to do over the winter. Ahhh, the truck! Still have a few minor items and one major item to fix on it and it will be done! :D Finally got all the power back into it and did some mods to it. Now have I have enough pulling power to take on bigger hills.

Well that's about it for now. Getting ready for planning out our trips for next year. A couple already planned, such as Memphis and Chattanooga, TN. Going to be a great next year. This one was not bad at all either. Everyone enjoy and Happy Holidays.

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to mention this from the DW. We were discussing about trading in our 5ver and getting one that was a few years newer with 3 slides. I told her we needed to start saving for a new trailer. She stated "Not a trailer, a 5th wheel. I am not living in a trailer! A trailer you tow behind, a 5th wheel sits on the back of the truck, that's why they call it a 5th wheel!" I could not do anything more than laugh at her. And she says I'm animate about going full time. :lol:

logo.png

event.png

Well its the middle of December and I still haven't done any Christmas shopping. We are settled at my daughters home where we have a pad set up. We'll stay here until after New Years Day. We are planning out some trips to take for next year. We know we want to go to Tupelo, MS and Memphis, TN. Also Chattanooga, TN is on the list. I may make that a 10 day round trip. We have sites we want to see at all three places. The DW is an Elvis fan, so that is the reason for Tupelo and Memphis locations. I want to go back to the aquarium at Chattanooga and let the DW see it also, since she was not with me on the last trip there. I think the grandkids may join up with us there and spend a night or two. Also on the agenda is a trip to Georgia Veterans State park, Indian Springs State Park, and maybe a trip or two to the Gulf coast and Atlantic coast of Florida. May even push for a trip back to Skidaway Island for some getaway time.

What are your plans for next year? Do you plan them, or just wing it?

Retirement in 1729 days. Getting closer all the time.

Slo Poke, did you ever get the den cleaned out. How's the downsizing coming along?

Be safe out there

George and Sherry

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

reported #48

Thank you for catching that. Seems he has posted on several different forums. His account needs to be removed. :angry:

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Class of 2016. Only four more short years to go and it will be gone before you know it. Have fun this year and many camping opportunities to you.

logo.png

event.png