My husband and I are interested in buying kayaks but would like some feedback from other RVer's that have kayaks. <_<

We would be buying a rack for our jeep wrangler 2 door hard top to put two kayaks on. B)

Its seems to be about a $2,000 investment for with 2 kayaks, paddles, jackets & a rack for the jeep? :o

This year we're thinking of just renting kayaks to see if we really like them. :wub:

Used for calm waters, fishing & just fun. :)

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31SA

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

RV Blog: http://seizethedayrvadventure.com/

We have a jeep,wrangler 2 door with a hobie oasis kayak on top. We have a Thule hulivator. I bought the rails from a 97 Ford Expedition. Cut them down and drilled holes in the rear fiberglass. I sealed them with silicone and rubber washers inside. Stainless bolts. I put a light bar around the windshield. Bolted 2x2 tubing to the light bar. Mounted the cross bar to the top of the 2x2. Works great.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We bought one of these several years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-AdvancedFrame-Convertible-Inflatable/dp/B004AURWE8

Accesories also bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-AdvancedFrame-Convertible-Inflatable/dp/B004AURWE8

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/838/Advanced-Elements-Double-Deck-Conversion.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&scid=scplp285683&gclid=CO2O1uuCucYCFZU2aQodtWAMeQ

We have paddled it every where from Puget Sound to Florida. Overall it has been a good boat, Paddles well, and very stable.

We bought it from REI, I have also bought from Austin Kayak and been happy with their service.

West Marine sells a very similar one in different colors made for them by Advanced Elements for a little less money.

Of course you will still need PFD's and Paddles. Buy some nice lite weight paddles, your wrists will thank you for it.

One of the reasons we originally bought it is we didn't have roof racks. The boat, seats, etc fit in a bag. PFDs, gloves, air pump, etc fit in a small gym bag, Paddles and back bone are a 3rd bundle.

Hope this helps as another idea.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Since you don't know if you'd like them I'd definitely rent a few times on both rivers and lakes before putting all that money into them. Rentals are very reasonable.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As I'm sure you're aware, kayaks are manufactured from a variety of materials. Just like everything else in the world of RVing, compromises must be made. Cost, weight, durability, resistance to UV and paddling ease must be considered.
Here's a short article on kayak materials.

Our kayaks have been on the roof of our truck for 10 years. (perhaps you caught our rig on the cover of this month's Escapees Mag or one of the cover pics at Escapees.com)
Our kayaks are made of a special composite which have handled the heat and sunshine of the southwest quite nicely.

I would worry about a plastic kayak maintaining its shape after being strapped to a rack in 110° scortching sunshine. We try to avoid such conditions but, as fulltimers, sometimes that scenario is unavoidable.

Hope this helps,

Mark

BTW... our kayaks tip the scale at 35 lbs each.

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Since you don't know if you'd like them I'd definitely rent a few times on both rivers and lakes before putting all that money into them. Rentals are very reasonable.

X2. You could also ask local outfitters when they have demo days. Try several different types of kayaks.

Renting is a good start. But it's a bit like renting children. Renting avoids the hassle of loading/unloading them, storing them, caring for them, keeping them secure, etc.

They'll add some fun but they'll also add more logistics to your camping experience.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

But it's a bit like renting children. Renting avoids the hassle of loading/unloading them, storing them, caring for them, keeping them secure, etc.

I love that analogy! I may plagiarize that one! You do realize that imitation is the greatest form of flattery... :lol:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a two person plastic kayak that we carry on our Jeep CJ5. Built our own rack and works great. Cost a fraction of the aftermarket racks. Also added an area to carry other items at the same time as the Kayak. Have taken Coast to Coast and down into Mexico. We bought used Kayaks for $20 at a local yard sale first before we invested in New. Check out Craigslist as that is where we sold the used Kayaks.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico.

We have a Sea Eagle 420X inflatable. Works great and we don't need two. We are calm water types by have done some class 3 rivers in Western Colorado. The folded kayak fits in the back of a Mini Cooper with space to spare.

https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/420X

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

We like to fish and have a 17 ft aluminum boat with a 25HP motor that has suited us fine all these years. However, "Izzy" doesn't get to go with us when we go full-timing so I have been trying to figure out another solution. I have looked at the Sea Eagles and would like to get an inflatable for two upon which we can mount our trolling motor. But, I am worried about where we would store it when not in use. We are already impacting our storage space with a 6000W Onan Generator and 4 lithium batteries. All the posts here seem to have longer rigs with full size vehicles to drive while parked. We will be in a Volvo 670 with deluxe smart car bed (RV Haulers), a Smart, and a 39 foot DRV Fifth wheel. So where would we store a good sized inflatable? Roof rack on the Smart might be sporting!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

[

We like to fish and have a 17 ft aluminum boat with a 25HP motor that has suited us fine all these years. However, "Izzy" doesn't get to go with us when we go full-timing so I have been trying to figure out another solution. I have looked at the Sea Eagles and would like to get an inflatable for two upon which we can mount our trolling motor. But, I am worried about where we would store it when not in use. We are already impacting our storage space with a 6000W Onan Generator and 4 lithium batteries. All the posts here seem to have longer rigs with full size vehicles to drive while parked. We will be in a Volvo 670 with deluxe smart car bed (RV Haulers), a Smart, and a 39 foot DRV Fifth wheel. So where would we store a good sized inflatable? Roof rack on the Smart might be sporting!

We also have a Volvo 670 from Gregg w/deluxe smart bed similar to Jacks. Our Sea Eagle paddle ski fits in the smart with paddles, life jackets, trolling motor and battery. Wife rides on the roof! you just have to prioritize.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked at Folbot.com? These kayaks are made in Charleston, SC and can only be purchased at the factory or on line. Ours is a 2-person kayak which comes neatly packaged in two carry bags which we store in an outside compartment. They are a little pricey, but do not require roof racks and are tucked away (out of sight) when not in use. Takes about 20 minutes +/- to put it together. Very stable and easy to maneuver with the rudder attachment. We have had ours for about 10 years and it has held up well.

John & Marsha Coates

2013 Itasca Suncruiser

2010 Jeep Rubicon

When it comes to kayaks and accessories, Craigslist is your FRIEND!!!

Keep in mind a kayak built for fishing can be MUCH heavier than a non-fishing kayak. Consider whether you need a wheeled dolly for the kayaks. Some people make them out of PVC and fit them in the scupper holes.

Hobie makes yaks that use pedal power instead of paddle power. They are FAST!!! They are also on the pricey side, but easier to move thru the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Amy and I bought a couple of Old Town Vapor 10's from Academy Sports. I waited 'til they went on sale for $299 and also picked up our life vests there.

They're fairly light so we each carry our own and are easy to enter once at the water. These are easy to handle in the water whether fishing or just enjoying

a slow moving current. One thing we really like is they have more then enough room for some of the extras one might want to bring on a day trip.

Enjoy the calm waters.

Bill and Amy

Bill & Amy 2011 Flagstaff Classic RLWS

2013 Ram HD2500

Reese Hitch

Have a perception kayak (tracks the best) and a hunter fishing kayak, wider body and good storage. Love both of them and enjoy the flexibility of having our own with us for use any time we chose = we are real water babies = fishing, swimming, rafting, snorkelling, diving on occasion, paddling, surfing. We most often take a picnic with us as well to enjoy whilst out and about in them.

Wow lots of replies but I have to kick in my 2 cents. We have a Greenland 2 Folbot Kayak. It collapes into 2 tavel bags and although not terribly light, about 80 lbs, it stores well, sets up in under 20 minutes, and paddles beautifully. More stable than your average kayak, fairly quick and tracks well. We also have a sail kit which adds another dimension. Float also has smaller single person kayaks, much lither and easier to pack. Ours in about 10 yrs old and holding up well.

Ron

Be sure to also try out different styles of kayaks. There are huge differences between sit on tops and the traditional types. We had both and used them for different occasions. We loved kayaking for years and years and carried them everywhere. Unfortunately we are just too old to get in and out of our sit-in type anymore and our near by AZ lakes are just too small to enjoy.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just bought two new Kayaks. They are Necky Rip 10 sit in models for recreation. We freaking love these Kayaks. They track in the water and handle so easily. Our first time out in them one week ago we were paddling against 20-25 mph wind gusts and Mcdonald lake in Glacier National Park had 12-14 inch waves even white caps. These Kayaks still sliced right through the water. We have had sit-on-top Kayaks before (Pelican) brand and before that an inflatable two person Kayak from Seaeagle. Compared to the Necky's those Kayaks were junk. We paid 699 for each one and our Thule racks were about another 800 but they make it so easy to put our Kayaks on and off. I used to dread strapping our previous Kayaks down, now I could unload and load both my myself if I had to. Go to Neck.com and you can get a wealth of information. We have been fulltimers for about 14 months so we needed to be able to transport these on top of our Chevy Equinox. It takes Susan and I about 10-15 minutes to get both Kayaks on and strapped down for the next adventure down the road. HAPPY PADDLING!!!

Archived